Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Front Row freezes playing DivX---help?

Front Row freezes playing DivX---help?
canadave
Nov 15, 2008, 07:54 PM

Hi all,

I have a MBP 17" (2008) up-to-date with 10.5, and a Mac Pro downstairs. Tonight I rigged things up so that I could play movies from my Mac Pro on my TV upstairs--by hooking up the laptop to the TV, placing an alias on my laptop to the Mac Pro download folder, and then playing the movie via Front Row.

Everything seemed to work great at first. But after about 20 minutes of playing a DivX video file, all of a sudden the video froze. The audio froze soon after. After a minute or so it started back up again, but about 15 minutes after that it froze again. Same thing happened a third time about 10 minutes after that.

It could be just my LAN, but I doubt it; I've never had any problems streaming any other type of video when not using Front Row, and I've got great throughput (file transfers between the Mac Pro and laptop fly, for instance). Nothing weird is going on with the LAN.

So I'll check out the LAN anyway (perhaps I dropped connection three times?), but I'm really suspecting the Front Row is the culprit. Has anyone run into these kinds of issues playing DivX in Front Row via a wirelessly networked alias in the Movies folder? Need some help here

Thanks!
Dave
( Last edited by canadave; Nov 16, 2008 at 01:37 AM. )

canadave  (op)
Nov 16, 2008, 01:34 AM

I guess while I'm at it, I'll post another (somewhat unrelated) question.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I have my laptop hooked up to my Samsung LCD TV (LNT5265F), and the laptop's display settings are set to Mirrored. The problem I'm having is: if I close the lid on the laptop completely, the laptop goes into sleep mode, and the TV display goes blank. I thought you could use an external display with the lid closed? Is there something there I'm missing?

JKT
Professional Poster
Nov 17, 2008, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by canadave View Post
I guess while I'm at it, I'll post another (somewhat unrelated) question.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I have my laptop hooked up to my Samsung LCD TV (LNT5265F), and the laptop's display settings are set to Mirrored. The problem I'm having is: if I close the lid on the laptop completely, the laptop goes into sleep mode, and the TV display goes blank. I thought you could use an external display with the lid closed? Is there something there I'm missing?
You need to have a keyboard and mouse attached and the laptop on mains power. Then you have to sleep the laptop, attach the external display then wake it:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h...5/en/8776.html

Forum Links
Forum Rules