Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > moving Users folder--deleting afterward

moving Users folder--deleting afterward
canadave
Mar 26, 2009, 06:24 PM

Hi all,

I just got a spiffy new hard drive for my Mac Pro (running 10.5 OSX) to use as my new boot drive. After installing Leopard on the new drive, I copied the brand-new Users folder to my old boot drive (which has now become my "data repository" drive) by changing the path in the Login Accounts "Advanced Options" panel. At that point I had two Users folders--the "real one" on my data drive that my account points to, and the now-unused "new one" on my new boot drive that I had copied from.

Now, what I want to know is, can I safely hide, rename, or delete the unused Users folder that got installed on my new boot drive? It's confusing to have it alongside the real Users folder that exists on the other drive. I'm not sure if it's still needed for anything.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 26, 2009, 07:56 PM

Yes, there should be no problem with trashing an unused account folder.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

canadave  (op)
Mar 26, 2009, 09:10 PM

Thanks very much--that's what I thought Now....how do I do that? I don't seem to be able to delete it even after giving admin read/write permissions on it.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 26, 2009, 10:43 PM

Are you comfortable using Terminal?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 27, 2009, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by canadave View Post
Thanks very much--that's what I thought Now....how do I do that? I don't seem to be able to delete it even after giving admin read/write permissions on it.
Open a terminal window.

cd /Users/
rm -rf foo

where 'foo' is the name of the user account you're trying to delete. The first command moves you to the parent folder, the second one irreversibly deletes the old user account folder. The rm command should never contain a path so that's why the first command is required.

canadave  (op)
Mar 27, 2009, 03:49 PM

Thanks guys. I'm very comfortable using Terminal (I'm an old DOS/UNIX dinosaur)...just wasn't sure of the command.

I tried the rm -rf command, and I keep getting Permission Denied, no can do.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 27, 2009, 05:50 PM

sudo rm -rf foo

Then enter your admin password. Sudo will execute the rm command with superuser permissions.

Camali
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 27, 2009, 06:10 PM

WHere do you see this option to change the user path?

Forum Links
Forum Rules