Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Mozilla is Dead. Long Live Mozilla!

Mozilla is Dead. Long Live Mozilla!
pliny
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2003, 12:20 PM

I don't know if anyone noticed this or posted about it, could be, but Mozilla.org recently decided to stop developing Mozilla for the Classic OS. (The news is at MozillaZine) Some of you who still boot into 9 or 8 may think pulling Classic from the tree may be a bad thing, but 1.2.1 and 1.02 are still there. For OS X users, this is actually a good thing. Before this retirement, the nightly X builds and releases were CFM builds, using bits of code from and for OS 9. Now, the builds use only Mach-O, native X code, which among other thing, means Mozilla is faster.

I recently tried Mozilla 1.3b and was pleasantly surprised. the speed is very good, on par or near Safari, and it is more compliant than Safari. Now if Mozilla could only offer an installer that allowed us to pick the modules we wanted to install.
i look in your general direction

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 6, 2003, 01:04 PM

Originally posted by pliny:
Now if Mozilla could only offer an installer that allowed us to pick the modules we wanted to install.
The hell of it is, they do offer this on other platforms. But for some reason, with OSX they decided on the drag-and-drop installation, which is admittedly nice for some things, but some -I daresay most- of us don't want the mail/news component and only slightly more than that want ChatZilla (though I happen to like it a lot, so I still want the option, but there's no need to include it automatically).
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

krove
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2003, 02:49 PM

Mozilla 1.3b isn't anywhere near as fast as Safari on my old iMac! Slow and bad font rendering. Ugh, the least you could use is Chimera.

My 2�

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 6, 2003, 03:05 PM

Long live Mozilla. Can you feel it people? OS 9 is dead...!
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

pliny  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2003, 03:21 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
The hell of it is, they do offer this on other platforms. But for some reason, with OSX they decided on the drag-and-drop installation, which is admittedly nice for some things, but some -I daresay most- of us don't want the mail/news component and only slightly more than that want ChatZilla (though I happen to like it a lot, so I still want the option, but there's no need to include it automatically).
I think it's weird too, for the OS 9 builds you can choose the modules you want, not so for X.

I always tend to prefer Moz over Chimera, not sure why, just is always a bit more stable for me.

One of the good things aobut Moz is that it's very compliant; and now its faster. I'm glad Mozilla is still being developed (and Chimera, which seems to have slowed since Safari ).

malvolio
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2003, 12:36 PM

Wow! Nice speed bump in the Mach-O version!
Try adding Tabbrowser Extensions. Between them and the speed-up, Moz has just become my default browser again.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

pliny  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2003, 12:59 PM

The new Nautipolis theme is kinda interesting.

pliny  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2003, 05:40 PM

The builds are getting faster and faster. The latest nightly really zooms.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2003, 06:02 PM

I thought they'd had mach-o nightlies for a year or so now?

pliny  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2003, 06:14 PM

Originally posted by Angus_D:
I don't know if they were nightly mach-o builds, but the mach-o builds y didn't have all the functionality of the nightly builds, and they weren't very stable. The Mac nightlies and releases will now be all mach-o.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 18, 2003, 07:35 PM

Originally posted by Angus_D:
There were nightlies, but they were always unofficial. Now, the official Mozilla Mac tree is Mach-O, and as a result the improvements are going there.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

pliny  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2003, 11:00 AM

The latest Mozilla nightlies are very fast and stable. I noticed in the most recent that under the cache options in the prefs, there is a now a "link prefetching" option. Turning it on "prefetches web pages when idle, so that links in web pages designed for prefetching load faster."

I think the latest Mozilla is faster than Camino.

I wonder if Camino will pick this up when it goes back on the trunk/tree to pick up Gecko changes.

One thing that Mozilla's never had is the arrows to access bled bookmarks from the bookmarks toolbar, like every other browser does. This is stupid.

edit: The latest nightly really hauls ass!
( Last edited by pliny; Mar 8, 2003 at 11:23 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules