Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > MX700 Mouse...

MX700 Mouse...
The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
May 19, 2003, 10:43 AM

Just bought one today.

Best.Mouse.Ever.

Marc

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 19, 2003, 12:22 PM

Congrats on the purchase man, and I definitely agree. I prefer the wired version as I detest buying batteries and would rather deal w/ the cable than the hub, and so I got the MX500, it's certainly the best mouse I've ever used. The perfectly placed macro-able buttons are wonderful.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

rm199
Mac Enthusiast
May 19, 2003, 12:34 PM

Buying batteries? The MX700 has a dock for its rechargable. What a great mouse though...

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 19, 2003, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by rm199:
Buying batteries? The MX700 has a dock for its rechargable. What a great mouse though...
Still, you have to have it in the base to recharge them, or either have a spare set of recharged ones ready to go, and as much I use my computer, they'd go dead quite a bit.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

vasu
Senior User
May 19, 2003, 01:49 PM

Well you do sleep at some point right?

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 19, 2003, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by vasu:
Well you do sleep at some point right?

Of course, but I highly doubt a single charge would last from the morning until I do go to sleep.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

The Placid Casual  (op)
Professional Poster
May 19, 2003, 03:16 PM

I too use my computer a lot... I plan on leaving the mouse on 'recharge' every night...

I'll check out how long an average charge lasts, and post my findings...

Marc

macnnhelpme
Forum Regular
May 19, 2003, 04:19 PM

The mouse will be fine for a day's worth of computing. Just don't forget to pop it in the dock. I've had my mx700 for about 5 months now and love it.

jparisi
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2003, 06:06 PM

Ive used the MX700 for days withour charging. And thats with at least 3 hours of use a day. The mouse absolutely rocks. And if the low battery indicator light goes off while using, alls you have to do is charge for 10 minuts and your good for the rest of the day,

Agasthya
Professional Poster
May 19, 2003, 11:03 PM

My wireless intellimouse goes for about 2 weeks on rechargeable batteries - but its rarely used. The MX700 goes for about 1 week before we need to recharge it overnight - its not that big of a hassle. The mac at home is the only computer with a wired mouse

Bobby
Mac Enthusiast
May 20, 2003, 01:59 PM

I like my MX700...

The Logitech drivers suck though... USB Overdrive X is an improvement, but still...

I want to get teh MX500 at work, so I can have the same feel... I don't like the idea of using a wireless mouse at work because I'm affraid someone will walk off with it...

MyRuin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2003, 05:09 AM

I've got the MX700 and the MX500 and the 700 is much better not only because is wireless but also works better on different surfaces.

The Placid Casual  (op)
Professional Poster
May 21, 2003, 09:53 AM

Just a quick update...

The battery charge last for ageeeesss. Way longer than a working day or 2.

The more I use the mouse, the more impressed I am...

Peace,

Marc

Hydra
Senior User
May 21, 2003, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:
Just a quick update...

The battery charge last for ageeeesss. Way longer than a working day or 2.

The more I use the mouse, the more impressed I am...

Peace,

Marc
Same here. I too was leery about the batteries running out but I have yet to see a problem. Even if I leave it out of the cradle for a few days it never seems to run out of charge. I was tempted to get even higher capacity NiMH batteries and see how long it could go between charges but the ones it comes with are more than enough it would seem.

-Jerry C.

mark9939
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 1, 2003, 02:07 PM

I was looking at Logitech's website, and I was wondering if all those programmable buttons work on the Mac (OS X)?
MBP 1.83 GHz CD/iPod 30GB

Hydra
Senior User
Jun 1, 2003, 03:04 PM

Originally posted by mark9939:
I was looking at Logitech's website, and I was wondering if all those programmable buttons work on the Mac (OS X)?
Yup, all the buttons work and work very well. I personally like USB Overdrive so I can change the function of certain buttons depending on what app is being used. The Logitech drivers are OK but not great - they can't touch USB OD as far as options and stability.

I first thought the up and down arrows on top and bottom of the scroll wheel were useless as well as the app switching button but now I use them all the time. When I am at my computer at work with my old M$ explorer mouse (my previous favorite mouse) I keep finding myself tapping in from and behind the scroll wheel looking for those buttons and miss them.

-Jerry C.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2003, 11:58 PM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
Of course, but I highly doubt a single charge would last from the morning until I do go to sleep.
You're wrong there... it definitely would. If you recharge it overnight you'll get 2 or 3 days of "all day" use before it craps out.

bstieritz
Jun 2, 2003, 10:37 PM

I agree with AssassyN,

Bought the MX 500 about a week ago and have to say it's one of the best mice out there for the money (try ebay, 20 bucks off retail). Ample buttons to program, plus, the foward and backward buttons I use for surfing in Safari also double as a remote control in iTunes!

I had previously bought a wireless mouse (the rfmousejr.) from macally and wasn't satisfied because of the "jr." size (it was giving me jr. size carpal tunnel). Also, I'm not too impressed with the current wireless mouse technology available to comsumers (I hate the lag you experience with wireless mice).

cheers,
brian

djjava
Senior User
Jun 10, 2003, 02:21 PM

what kind of deals are/did people getting on the Mx700... I'm looking on ebay, but I don't want a refurbed out of box.
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

Skywalkers new Hand
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 10, 2003, 02:32 PM

Pictures? Links?

"Wedge, pull out! You're not doing any good back there!"

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2003, 03:29 PM

Originally posted by Skywalkers new Hand:
Pictures? Links?
Yeah, WTF?

djjava
Senior User
Jun 10, 2003, 04:34 PM

Originally posted by Axo1ot1:
Yeah, WTF?
who are you talking too?
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2003, 04:38 PM

Come on people, http://www.logitech.com/

And can anyone who is currently using one of these mice speak about the lag, if any that 'bstieritz' wrote about?

Thanks.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2003, 05:08 PM

HOLY COW IS THAT THING EXPENSIVE!

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

The Placid Casual  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2003, 07:02 PM

I've used the mouse for about a month now... I'm still very, very impressed. Best mouse I have ever used by far...

I found that I can get 3-4 days 'all day' use from one overnight battery charge.

There is no lag or delay at all.

As for price, I paid �60 in the UK...expensive, but well, well, worth the cash.

People who use the mouse all comment how comfortable and well designed (and also cool!) it is... 2 family members have already bought their own!

Peace,

Marc

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2003, 08:20 PM

You guys are ALL on CRACK!!

The MX 300 is the best mouse out there I tried the 500 but as a full time photoshop user, the curves on the side didn't provide any area to grip and pull with my fingers. When selecting in photoshop, I select and move the mouse around with my fingers leaving my wrist mostly still, so I need a mouse with sides to grip. The 500 is probably great for non photoshop users or maybe it's just my selecting style that limits me to full bodied mice.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

coolmac
Jun 10, 2003, 09:07 PM

I have two MX 700's, one for my Mac and one for my PC.
I think it's great except for one thing, on both my Mac and PC, after I put my computer to sleep when I wake up sometimes the curser is locked.
On my PC I have to push the button on the cradle to reactivate it, but sometimes on my Mac even this doesn't work and I have to unplug the cradle from the USB port and reconnect it to make it work again.

Strange that it happens on both, anyone else have this problem?
I do have the latest drivers from Logitechs site.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2003, 09:25 PM

I just got the MX700 for my powerbook and I really like it.

Only bummer is that it does not work well on a soft surface like a wrist/mouse pad. Works much better on a hard smooth surface. The shape is awesome.

I can't figure out how to get all the buttons working though, as the CD that it came with has no OS X stuff, just an OS 9 driver install.

It plays games very well too. This was my main concern before purchasing it, and I longer can tell the difference between FPS games with or without a wireless mouse.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

coolmacdude
Senior User
Jun 10, 2003, 10:00 PM

Originally posted by Macpilot:
I can't figure out how to get all the buttons working though, as the CD that it came with has no OS X stuff, just an OS 9 driver install.
USB Overdrive

Maquero
Jun 10, 2003, 10:09 PM

To tell you the truth I was rather dissapointed,im not saying it was bad but compared to the corded MS intellimouse it was much laggier and less precise,also the ergonomics werent that good,(eg the side buttons are too small),but I guess that if you dont play first person shooters its ok

bstieritz
Jun 11, 2003, 01:16 AM

Originally posted by ::maroma:::
Come on people, http://www.logitech.com/

And can anyone who is currently using one of these mice speak about the lag, if any that 'bstieritz' wrote about?

Thanks.

Maroma,

I spoke of the "Macally rfmousejr" producing lag during use, especially when using the scroll wheel (ie. chopiness and jumpiness while rapidly scrolling long documents, webpages or song lists in iTunes, compared to the wired varieties) . . . I can't really confirm the MX700 having any lag, however, since I haven't used it myself.

My advice is test it thoroughly at the store before purchase. Also, make sure and check the useable distance. Retail stores love to crunch the units with the wireless mice REAL CLOSE together on the smaller tables to ensure you get the great mouse reception while testing it, but try backing up a foot or so away and try it then. You might start to notice the lag I mentioned or other performance degrades while doing this.

As far as Ebay and finding deals on mice, I was lucking to catch a deal on the MX500 right after someone posted it and, if I remember correctly, there were other ones being sold by the same guy for $30.00. Thought I saw some MX700's for $50.00, too.

A little secret for the ebay novice, if you're interested in grabing a sweet, low "buy it now" price on ebay, don't start your search right at the beginning where all the auctions are ending the soonest . . . go to the very last page of auctions where people have just posted their items up and nobody has had the chance to look at the auctions yet (ie. you beat the other sucker to the punch and are the first to get the sweet deal). I have scored more sweet "buy it now" deals using this strategy.

cheers,
brian
( Last edited by bstieritz; Jun 11, 2003 at 01:33 AM. )

Ryan1524
Senior User
Jul 15, 2003, 07:04 PM

a question, i just got myself an MX700 and i'm still breaking in the battery. but the first full charge takes about 1.5-2 hours. i thought it was kinda quick. and then the red liught starts blinking after a bout a day's use. i thought it was normal, until i heard that it should've lasted about a week before it does that. another thing, it seems to charge very quick (and discharges the same way).
i wonder if i got a dud battery or if there's anything wrong with the mouse or charger.

as for the batteries. the logitech site states that it's NI-MH has NO memory effect and it can be charged anytime we like. being a gadget freak, i know this is not true. the only battery that has this ability is only li-ion, poly and prismatic. so how is this true.

any ideas. thx. and what should i do with my mouse...

edit: the red light blinked again..faster than before now..and it fully charged in 10 minutes. definitely something wrong. ah well, just need to complain to the store.
( Last edited by Ryan1524; Jul 15, 2003 at 07:33 PM. )
Ryan

Hydra
Senior User
Jul 15, 2003, 07:55 PM

I would charge it overnight and see how long it lasts at that point. Sometimes the batteries have to be broken in. If after a full nights charge it still only lasts for a little while i would just return it and get another. Mine lasts for a very long time (days) if I leave it off the charger but most of the time I just put it on the charger when I go to bed.

-Jerry C.

Ryan1524
Senior User
Jul 15, 2003, 08:03 PM

yes, i am in the process of breaking it in, but the batteries only last a day at most and the second full cycle's full charging lasts 10 minutes. i hate it when these things happen.

did yours last for days during the break in period or is it natural for the battery to do this during the break in? i assume not, but then i could be wrong.
Ryan

Hydra
Senior User
Jul 15, 2003, 08:31 PM

Originally posted by Ryan1524:
yes, i am in the process of breaking it in, but the batteries only last a day at most and the second full cycle's full charging lasts 10 minutes. i hate it when these things happen.

did yours last for days during the break in period or is it natural for the battery to do this during the break in? i assume not, but then i could be wrong.
I just plugged it in and let it charge overnight and used it starting the next day and it never had a problem. Maybe just plug in the power and use your old mouse till tomorrow and see if the batteries improve. I don't really pay attention to the lights but I know that after some specified period of time the light goes out completely. I would ignore the light till tomorrow and just let it sit in the cradle overnight.

If you really think the batteries are not up to spec I would just return it if it's not too much of a hassle. I know some people who have put in higher capacity NiMH's that normally are used in digicams and can considerably extend the in-between charge times. If you have any lying around you could test them to see what happens.

-Jerry C.

Ryan1524
Senior User
Jul 15, 2003, 08:49 PM

well, the green light shuts off after 10 minutes. and now i've been using it for over an hour.

that's the thing. i would just return it, but i got it from a store that only takes stuff back up to 7 days. and if it's defective, they'll take it and take care of the warranty for me. sounds all good, but the process will take 4-6 weeks.

i love this mouse and am NOT parting with it for 6 weeks. it might just be a batt problem. but if i buy a new pair, it'll cost another 15$ (yea, i'm cheap). i guess i'll see how long this last charge goes and leave it overnight.

actually now that you've mentioned it, it has never been on the cradle for longer than 2 hours. so i guess i haven't been fully full charging it. but i was just following the guideline that after the light shuts off, it's done charging.
Ryan

Conscript
Jul 16, 2003, 08:46 AM

Originally posted by CatOne:
You're wrong there... it definitely would. If you recharge it overnight you'll get 2 or 3 days of "all day" use before it craps out.

Agreed. I've had mine since it came out and only once did I run low enough on a charge to notice any difference. Of course, I forgot to put it in it's docking station for a few nights in a row. If you remember to put it in it's station every night, no matter how much you use it during the day, you'll NEVER run out of batteries...

The Placid Casual  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2003, 05:22 PM

Looks like there may be a dud battery...

I have not charged mine for about 4 days, and I have had no problems so far... I average at about 5 hours usage per day.

Still in love with this mouse...

Toutgood
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 16, 2003, 06:42 PM

Am I the only one who uses a trackball?

Can't live without it, and it's perfect for playing Centipede...

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2003, 10:17 AM

Well I just ordered one, �47 in the uk. Also ordered 2Gig of ram, but that'll juist be stitting in the drawer for weeks while i wait for my G5 to be delivered...

revs
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2003, 10:30 PM

How big are the MX700/500 mice compared to, say, the MS IntelliMouse Explorer (the really only one, not the newer models)? I want to get a MX500, but one of my reasons for wanting a new mouse is that my IntelliMouse is a little too big for me (I don't have small hands, either).
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

Forum Links
Forum Rules