Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New Imac Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down

View Poll Results: THUMBS UP OR THUMBS DOWN THAT'S IT
Poll Options:
THUMBS UP 88 votes (75.21%)
THUMBS DOWN 15 votes (12.82%)
THUMB...HMMMM 14 votes (11.97%)
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll
New Imac Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down
pliny
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2004, 08:24 PM

you either like it or you don't.*

*Ok, there's a THIRD WAY.
i look in your general direction

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2004, 08:35 PM

i love it. i think it is so nice, and i am busy trying to figure out how i can budget for one.

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 31, 2004, 09:15 PM

Brilliant. I'd buy one right away if I didn't already have a nice 20" cinema display.

-matt

buffalolee
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2004, 09:19 PM

It's like a non-portable Powerbook. I like it. I could use one in fact.

SeminalGeek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2004, 09:36 PM

I think it's pretty damn cool. I ordered the 20" right after the keynote. Also ordered my best friend one too.

NY152
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2004, 09:40 PM

I am indifferent to this one. I found the FP iMac more visually innovative. And from a hardware point of view why only the 64 mb video card? Obsolete before it ships on that point.
<over-large signature edited by management>

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2004, 09:42 PM

God saw it and said it was good.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2004, 10:18 PM

Looks pretty nifty. I'm leaning more towards a PowerMac but will wait until benchmarks comparing the two come out.

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2004, 11:13 PM

Definitely like it. That 20 inch model looks very inviting.

At first I was thinking that the slot-loading drive wouldn't work well with my current desk, because it would be blocked on the 20 inch model. Then all of a sudden I realized what the heck... who said it had to go in the same place. I already have an airport network. Throw in an airport card, and it can go anyplace I please. Of course I have an iBook that can already do that, but I really need the bigger screen real estate for my photography. That iMac looks better very moment.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2004, 06:00 AM

Originally posted by pliny:
you either like it or you don't.*

*Ok, there's a THIRD WAY.

thanks for the third way ... i'm not passing judgement until i see it in person.

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

pliny  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 09:19 AM

Originally posted by Lancer409:
thanks for the third way ... i'm not passing judgement until i see it in person.
yeah i think i will too, it seems like a pretty good bet, altho i wonder about the video card.

the card may be just fine, the Mac has better graphics than PCs, and the g5 and the bus speed are pretty nice.

altho it would be better if you could pop in another v-card. i don't know why apple keeps building consumer machines that you can't open up and switch out at least a little bit, what's the big freaking deal.
i look in your general direction

Nacente
Sep 1, 2004, 10:06 AM

Up, up!! Good for now.
iBook G4 933, 640 RAM

NY152
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2004, 10:53 AM

Originally posted by Nacente:
Up, up!! Good for now.
?? You've lost me.
<over-large signature edited by management>

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2004, 10:56 AM

I'd hit it� !

-t

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by NY152:
I am indifferent to this one. I found the FP iMac more visually innovative. And from a hardware point of view why only the 64 mb video card? Obsolete before it ships on that point.
So what is so obsolete about a 64 mb video card? What will the typical iMac customer be doing with more than 64?

What exactly in iLife requires more than 32?

The word "obsolete" infers that this will be an incapable machine. Hardly. My Dad's 700mhz eMac with 32 mb of video memory does just fine with Panther and everything else your throw at it.

Apple does not cater to the hardcore gamer. They never have. Since when does an iMac need 128 mb of video memory or more?

I give this iMac a big thumbs-up.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

babywriter2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2004, 11:42 AM

Thumbs up! I like it...classic, not too exotic, will never go out of style.

- b

isadore
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2004, 01:30 PM

Originally posted by Macpilot:
So what is so obsolete about a 64 mb video card? What will the typical iMac customer be doing with more than 64?
I agree, even for the hardcore gamer there would be few to no mac games at the moment that would benefit any great deal with more than 64MB... Doom 3, when it comes out will, but other than that?

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 02:00 PM

I think it's funny that the new iMac looks better in the casual photos people took on the Expo floor than in the product shots on Apple's Web site. I'm sure it will look even better in person. I personally didn't think much of the new displays until I saw them in the Apple Store. They're gorgeous in real life.

I think the time may have come to finally part with my trusty Cube. I love the Cube for its tiny footprint, but it's hard to argue with a G5 that takes up no more space than my current display.

deboerjo
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 2, 2004, 12:39 AM

Not thrilled with it. The G4 iMac was great the way you could twist the screen any which way. This one merely tilts. It also looks like it'd be awfully tippy and top-heavy. They've gone back to a slot-loading optical drive (goodbye 3.5" CD-Rs and credit card size CD-Rs). GeForceFX 5200 video is a dissapointment. I'm not a "hardcore" gamer by any means, but even a casual gamer laments the uselessness of a 2 year old iMac and it looks like that trend isn't changing.

And of course probably what I dislike the most about it is the fact that Apple is continuing to release proprietary, completely unexpandable hardware for the low-end and midrange, reserving any shred of expandability exclusivly for the G5 towers at the top of the price scale. Message to Apple: I want to see single-processor 1.6-2.0GHz mini-towers (with real, industry-standard DVI ports, AGP/PCI slots, and drive bays) in this price range, not iMacs. If the peecee industry can do it, and if you could do it back in '96, you can do it now.

-Jon

Forum Links
Forum Rules