Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Will the next iPod have Bluetooth?

Will the next iPod have Bluetooth?
craigthomas
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 22, 2003, 01:33 PM

Bluetooth would be tops on my iPod wishlist. Wireless stereo headphones would be great. I really dislike packing wired headphones - they get tangled evertime. I'd be also great to be able to use the same wireless headphones with bluetooth enabled cell phones too.

xtal
Senior User
Mar 22, 2003, 02:47 PM

Wireless headphones and speakers are notorious for poor sound quality. At least all the current RF ones are. I wonder if BT will help in that regard.

I'm not certain that we'll see BT on the next generation of iPods, though. Just a hunch.

To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2003, 03:09 PM

You guys ever consider battery life in loud stereo headphones? Why can't you have a cord running from your hip to your ear?

In other words.... NO!

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2003, 04:16 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
You guys ever consider battery life in loud stereo headphones? Why can't you have a cord running from your hip to your ear?

In other words.... NO!
I agree.
Whats the point in Bluetooth in an iPod?
Wireless headphones - expensive, and seemingly pointless
Wireless remote - okay might be useful but again whats wrong with a thin cable? At least you dont lose it
Wireless transfer - I dont know about this, but transfering files from computer > t68i gets transfer speeds of 4K. Patience is needed.
we don't have time to stop for gas

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2003, 04:44 PM

I'm really not sold on Bluetooth yet. It's really slow, so it has no use on an iPod in terms of file transfer, etc. It would take you 3 weeks to transfer a few GBs of music. Wireless bluetooth headphones just ain't gonna happen. They would be costly, would need a battery compartment on the headphones, etc. A bluetooth remote could be a possibility, but I don't think that would be worth the cost.

slider
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2003, 05:01 PM

Although I understand your points about why BT might not be such a great implimentation to iPod. I don't understand how you can fail to see why some including myself would like to see a wireless headset. For me will crosscountry skiing, or mountain biking, or even running, when the clip comes lose it's a pain to have to stop and reclip or reposition the wire. I have gotten tangled up in it. While doing these activities you're moving around quite a bit and the wire can be a pain. I don't know if BT is the solution, but I do know that there is a market for wireless implimentation. To say, "why don't you just", really doesn't address my personal needs, it's really why don't 'you' just use the wire, obviously you don't mind the wire, but that doen't mean I don't.

benb
Mar 23, 2003, 02:06 AM

Yea, and so will your next stapler. Then you can sync them, and you will always know how many staples you have left.

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2003, 03:19 AM

Originally posted by slider:
For me will crosscountry skiing, or mountain biking, or even running, when the clip comes lose it's a pain to have to stop and reclip or reposition the wire.
Ya well wait till you see how much fun you have with a headset with batteries that need to be changed every hour.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

slider
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2003, 08:32 AM

I was just watching TechTV the other day and they were talking about bluetooth headsets for cellphones. They mentioned needing to charge the batteries every couple of days. Would be great if you could use it for just 10hrs or so and drop it in a charger at the end of the day. Like I said, I don't know if bluetooth is the answer, but there is a market for a wireless headset. I am curious, where did you get the information that the battery in a headset only leasts one hour? As someone who is interested in the technology I would really like to read the article.

donny31
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 23, 2003, 08:59 AM

In other words.... NO!
you ever RUN? the cord pulls out of your ear constantly! pain in the butt!@ cordless would be great --besides the iPod has great battery life.

Truepop
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2003, 10:29 AM

I think for headphone maybe really later in game but not next if at all. I have no use for it and only a niche of niche does.

Aftermarket bluetooth headset. that would be cool. something like the iTrip that plugs in the firewire for power and jack for sound. transmits to any bluetooth set of headphones.

Would anyone buy it?

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2003, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by Truepop:

Aftermarket bluetooth headset. that would be cool. something like the iTrip that plugs in the firewire for power and jack for sound. transmits to any bluetooth set of headphones.

Would anyone buy it?
Why transmit to BT then? iTrip transmits to FM frequency. Why not use AM/FM radio headphones?

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2003, 12:42 PM

Originally posted by vmpaul:
Why transmit to BT then? iTrip transmits to FM frequency. Why not use AM/FM radio headphones?
Heh, not a bad idea. You could have your iPod tucked away and listen via a small radio. Just have it run through a long playlist.

Truepop
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2003, 02:19 PM

don't know. I figure that bluetooth might have better quality but I don't know.

and the am/fm headphones I have seen are big and ugly. while the bluetooth ones are really nice.

and lasty ... why not.

israces
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 23, 2003, 03:22 PM

How about this ?

Waterproof too!

(If I had an extra second to kill, I'd click on the "Home" link on the top of that page. Ah, Summer!)
Backup your Backup

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2003, 03:24 PM

not bad value, so for about $60, you can have nearly wireless iPod tunes

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2003, 04:34 PM

I was just watching TechTV the other day and they were talking about bluetooth headsets for cellphones. They mentioned needing to charge the batteries every couple of days.
Now picture 2 headphones not just one. Add on 5x louder sound and bass.

How long will those batteries last?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2003, 04:54 PM

bluetooth headsets are very expensive too!

slider
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2003, 05:54 PM

Now picture 2 headphones not just one. Add on 5x louder sound and bass.

How long will those batteries last?
I'm not claiming to know.

slider
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2003, 06:07 PM

Originally posted by PeterClark2002:
bluetooth headsets are very expensive too!
Of that I have no doubt. It probably won't be something available anytime soon.

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2003, 06:22 PM

I'm not claiming to know.
Well I am telling you, the battery will last about an hour and the headset will cost over $200. Not worth saving a cable from your hip to your ear.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2003, 06:43 PM

Well I am telling you, the battery will last about an hour and the headset will cost over $200. Not worth saving a cable from your hip to your ear.
I agree.
Until someone invents the ability to send voltages wirelessly stick with the cables Buster!

slider
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2003, 08:38 PM

Very good, point to your source. Thanks.

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2003, 11:14 PM

Very good, point to your source. Thanks.
Sure, the fact that the ones used for cellphones cost $200 are mono, are low powered, have no bass and the battery lasts about 2 hours talk.

You do that math.

P.S. also nobody has made stereo headphones yet for that very reason.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

israces
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 23, 2003, 11:29 PM

Until someone invents the ability to send voltages wirelessly stick with the cables Buster!
Tesla?
Backup your Backup

kOnshii
Mar 24, 2003, 02:28 AM

I think my ipods fine the way it is, ]
im thinking of getting the next generation when ever it comes out,

but i would really hate too pay for useless technology,

Ohh poo, the cable comes out?, well what happens when the remote/earphones falls out and you can never retrieve it since you were probably skiing pass it 10miles an hour.???

WHAT THE WORLD REALLY NEEDS IS A COLOURED IPOD, that function in a simillar way to a simple PDA. That runs a simplified version of UNIX, and share simple prog with os X.

THAT IS MY WISH LIST.

craigthomas  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 24, 2003, 03:29 PM

We'll have to see what Apple thinks people want and what their willing to pay for as an upgrade to the iPod. I'd love wireless headphones, weather they are feasible and cost-effective today is yet another issue - I'm definitely no expert on BT costs. It's what would make this mp3 player perfect, FOR ME, and I guess that's what an open forum is for. I don't give a s**t about PDA features, since the iPod is a very elegant audio device and is enough as it is.

After seeing some of the above posts it seems too early for BT wireless headphones. I'm not giving up on it though. 802.11b was real costly too till Apple made it cost effective. I realize that 802.11b is a MUCH grander thing over simple BT headphones.

Either way, in this economy, the iPod must be cost effective and not cost appendages to have.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2003, 03:49 PM

Originally posted by israces:
Tesla?
Could work I guess
Care to be a test subject

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2003, 08:36 PM

Just what we need. Electric waves being sent from our hip pockets straight into our ears! And you thought all that stuff about cell phones causing brain tumors was bad... I can't wait!

israces
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 24, 2003, 09:52 PM

Could work I guess
Care to be a test subject
Um, no thanks. I too have an unnatural fear of internal burns.
Backup your Backup

craigthomas  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2003, 03:07 AM

I agree.
There's hope yet for bluetooth headphones

mattyd
Senior User
Apr 1, 2003, 04:56 PM

i think that the new iPod (PowerPod?) will have bluetooth, but not so that we can have cordless headphones. the bluetooth could be used so that you can take or make phone calls through the (wired) headphones and your bluetooth enabled cell phone. the mic could be hidden in the remote.

Originally posted by craigthomas:
Bluetooth would be tops on my iPod wishlist. Wireless stereo headphones would be great. I really dislike packing wired headphones - they get tangled evertime. I'd be also great to be able to use the same wireless headphones with bluetooth enabled cell phones too.

craigthomas  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2003, 05:43 PM

That can be done w/out bluetooth with a LINK by skullcandy today for only 29.99. Essentially does what you are saying by plugging the LINK headphones or earbuds into both cellphone and iPod.
http://www.skullcandy.com/

Originally posted by mattyd:
i think that the new iPod (PowerPod?) will have bluetooth, but not so that we can have cordless headphones. the bluetooth could be used so that you can take or make phone calls through the (wired) headphones and your bluetooth enabled cell phone. the mic could be hidden in the remote.

pamelah
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 11, 2003, 02:37 AM

no
Architecture:Design | 17" alPB | 23" cinema display etc...

spaced
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2003, 07:38 AM

I'd like bluetooth on the iPod so that I don't have to plug it in every time I update my Address Book. I use the iPod to carry music as well as addresses but after transferring my entire music collection to the iPod I hardly ever have a need to sync with iTunes. I update my contacts, however, far more often. And the possibility of a bluetooth headset when they become higher quality / lower price is exciting.

It'd be nice to set it down next to my PowerBook and have it auto iSync.

Mohammed Al-Sabah
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2003, 03:37 PM

BT way way 2 slow for file xfers so why bother for now that is

m2bored
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 13, 2003, 09:31 AM

built in bluetooth...pretty useless...

Now if you could have a built in low powered Wifi card...then you would be getting somewhere.

M2

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2003, 02:25 AM

BT is perfect for the iPod! Not for transfering files becuase its too slow, and not for wireless headphones becuase thats just a bad idea :-)
For playing music. Place your BT ipod on your desk and iTunes running on your BT Mac will be able to play music right off the iPod! Put your ipod in your pocked and jump in your car with your new BT Car stereo, and be able to play music off your ipod through your cars stereo, wirelessly. Put your ipod on your coffee table and listen to your music through your living room entertainment center (BT enabled of coarse). That is what the ipod is going to use BT for, and its PERFECT!!!

mcs37
Forum Regular
Apr 29, 2003, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by israces:
Tesla?
Microwaves, perhaps?

I do think the iPod with some sort of Rendezvous technology and BT would be sweet. Put your iPod within a few feet of your laptop and your iPod's music shows up.

Dougmc
Forum Regular
Jan 13, 2005, 10:43 AM

http://www.bluetake.com/products/BT420EX.htm

Although this is a pretty dated thread that I'm reviving, I thought that I'd chime in with my desire to have a set of Bluetooth stereo headphones.

My use would be while I'm in my office. I'd connect them to my Powerbook and enjoy tunes while I'm working in the general area. I do desire high quality; but if faced with marginal quality or nothing at all, I'll take the marginal sound quality.

It's just too cumbersome to constantly be taking earphones off everytime I need to move to the far end of my desk for a moment.
17" PowerBook (delivered 4/2/2003) | www.mcschooler.com

f1000
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2005, 10:54 AM

Bluetooth 2.0 should pave the way for the widespread introduction of stereo BT headphones.

In any case, the iPod shuffle is so small that I could see it being incorporated into the band of a headphone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules