Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Cheapest External HD Out There?

Cheapest External HD Out There?
ApplCmptrDood
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2005, 01:50 AM

What is the cheapest external HD out there, I don't need lot's of storage, all i need is 40 GB at the MOST.
Apparently, I'm a sig violator. I feel honored. Oops.

Stingrey
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2005, 07:25 AM

For one, it seems that it depends on what is in your area. You may want to go online and see what is in the store. Lately external drive prices have been dropping and dropping. Secondly you may want to do that just because only you know what works best for your setup. Like silver? There are silver cased drives, enclosures you can add your own drive to, etc. Some are firewire, some usb 1.0, 2.0, or a combination of both.

For ME Western Digital came bundled with Dantz Retrospect which had some nifty backup software that would let you make an exact copy of your drive and my drive was 80g... First x amount went to mirroring my drive on a weekly basis, 2nd leftover amount (practically auto partitioned using disk utility) is used for a cutting board of sorts.

More than 40g yes, but was cheap enough (under 100 bux) for that 80g. That was just two or three months ago. NOW you can get like a 160 or 200g drive for the same price roughly. So again, look around, but a general question like this is almost pointless. One would need more details to give you a worthwhile answer.

Rey.

bbales
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2005, 09:20 AM

I saw an ad in last Sunday for a Seagate 160 GB drive for something like $40 after rebates. I almost bought one, even though I didn't need one, just b/c the price was so good. Five-year warranty, too.

I THINK it was at Comp USA. You can look online.
By the way, I have two Seagates -- put one in my G4 and use one for external backup.

amazing
Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2005, 11:25 AM

The cheapest storage is when you buy a firewire case and insert the HD yourself. As mentioned CompUSA has a seagate 160 GB for $40 after rebates. You get a Macally firewire 400 case from newegg.com (you don't need fw-800 for the 12" PB or the iBook) and get a small Phillips screwdriver.

Assembly: 15 minutes.

ApplCmptrDood  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2005, 11:37 AM

All I really need is a general question though, I think those drives Stingrey was talking about seemed pretty good... Thanks everyone.
Apparently, I'm a sig violator. I feel honored. Oops.

Forum Links
Forum Rules