Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Hard Drive Horror!

Hard Drive Horror!
sydric
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2003, 10:18 PM

GigaSuperDrive PowerBook 15"
Hard drive clicks, clicks, clicks but won't boot. DiskWarrior 3 doesn't see the drive. System Profiler sees the drive and reports "Unit Number 0 ATA Device Type ata" then for Device Serial, Revision and Model there's nothing. I can start up with a FireWire drive attached or from CD. It is still under the 1st year warranty but I can't send it in because I need it for another 5 weeks.

Is the drive completely gone or can it be recovered?
1 GHz PB G4 with SuperDrive, 1Gig RAM
GigeMac w/SuperDrive, 768 MB RAM
600 MHz iMac, 512 MB RAM

Karim
Senior User
Jul 3, 2003, 10:24 PM

99% it's toast. You can pay a hard drive recovery company lots of money to extract REALLY important info from the drive and they have some success at it.

Try leaving the computer on, plugged into AC for a few hours then shut it down and start up again. Also try keeping it shut down for several hours and then starting up. IE trying from a hot state and a cold state.

I wonder if your drive was a Fujitsu. There seems to be a noticable failure rate with those drives... Mine went on my brand new 17"..

sydric  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2003, 10:46 PM

Thanks for the reply. I had already tried what you suggested and it didn't work.

As far as the drive, I got one of the first SuperDrive PBs when they came out last November. Not sure on the brand but it is the 4200 rpm 60GB HD.

When you had yours replaced did Apple allow you to keep the bad drive?
1 GHz PB G4 with SuperDrive, 1Gig RAM
GigeMac w/SuperDrive, 768 MB RAM
600 MHz iMac, 512 MB RAM

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 4, 2003, 01:10 AM

Absolutely not, Apple will keep the broken drive. You do not keep the defective parts, with few exceptions (broken mice, AC adapters, etc.),

tooki

urrl5201
Jul 4, 2003, 07:30 AM

I replaced my bad 48 gig HD and a month later put it in an external case. The HD actually worked, allowing me to transfer its data, then a few days later it died. HD's are funny, well, not so funny. But Somehow I think the long downtime had something to do with it's temporary recovery. Just for the heck of it I am going to put it back in the ext case and test it.

Yep, it's working again after 3 months.
( Last edited by urrl5201; Jul 4, 2003 at 12:32 PM. )

spotze23
Jul 4, 2003, 09:07 AM

i had and have the same problems. my ibm 4200 30gb was replaced 4 times. but i did not send it back to the bad applecare and wait 3 weeks. i bought a new one. but it had the same problems after 6 month. but they have a 3 year warranty in germany. you get a new drive within 2 weeks.

i think ibm harddrives only last 6 month. i dont had any that lasted longer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules