Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PowerBook Repair : ( Hard Drive Clicking...

PowerBook Repair : ( Hard Drive Clicking...
sydric
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2003, 09:08 PM

The hard drive on my Ghz PB is clicking, clicking, clicking so a call to Apple has a box being sent on Friday. The current drive will not be returned. Supposed to be fixed and sent back in a week.

Anybody else have a similar story regarding the HD?

Gonna be a long week without it...
1 GHz PB G4 with SuperDrive, 1Gig RAM
GigeMac w/SuperDrive, 768 MB RAM
600 MHz iMac, 512 MB RAM

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2003, 09:42 PM

my imac 350 had the same problem. So my dad got me a iMac 600 because he didnt want to deal with it. He ended up fixing the old one later which took 2 weeks. We gave it to my uncle. So I have had a similar HD problem. I am getting a powerbook soon probably the 12 and cant wait. Sorry to hear you had the same prb. Lucky though its not an expensive one money wise. productivity wise it sucks. I was able to boot up and backup my 10 page term paper lol so I got lucky.

coolmacdude
Senior User
Aug 6, 2003, 10:03 PM

Originally posted by sydric:
The hard drive on my Ghz PB is clicking, clicking, clicking
I get this all the time. It is a fairly common issue with Powerbooks. Run the program APM Tuner X and set the value to 254. That fixes it for me.

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2003, 10:08 PM

Originally posted by sydric:
The hard drive on my Ghz PB is clicking, clicking, clicking so a call to Apple has a box being sent on Friday. The current drive will not be returned. Supposed to be fixed and sent back in a week.

Anybody else have a similar story regarding the HD?

Gonna be a long week without it...
The HD of my Tibook started clicking a week ago.. It's only at a rate of once /twice a day.. I checked the HD structure with Drive 10 and it found some problems and asked for repair. I'm running the repair and it's been on for the last 3 hours...Hopefully, this will be enough for my HD to last a bit longer before I have to send it to apple..
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2003, 10:31 PM

Well maybe I misunderstood you. When my drive clicked my computer didnt start up and if it did it would make a loud clicking noise. Dont know what caused it. Doesnt matter for me anymore though.

sydric  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2003, 10:11 AM

Originally posted by coolmacdude:
I get this all the time. It is a fairly common issue with Powerbooks. Run the program APM Tuner X and set the value to 254. That fixes it for me.

Guess I should have said that it won't even boot or start up. It just clicks for a few seconds then shuts down. I have been using it off a FireWire drive. The drive is shot, completely, and the program you mentioned didn't even run for me.
600 MHz iMac, 512 MB RAM

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2003, 11:22 AM

Trust me send it in for a new HD it sounds like what i had.

Buck_W
Senior User
Aug 8, 2003, 11:34 PM

The hard drive on my Cube "clicked" intermittently for over a year before getting worse until it finally bit the dust. I could have kicked myself for not documenting it with Apple early on. It was a Western Digital drive. I now have a Maxtor and it has never clicked.
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

sydric  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2003, 11:54 PM

Originally posted by Buck_W:
The hard drive on my Cube "clicked" intermittently for over a year before getting worse until it finally bit the dust. I could have kicked myself for not documenting it with Apple early on. It was a Western Digital drive. I now have a Maxtor and it has never clicked.
The drive had no history of clicking or making any sounds. It suddenly and unexpectedly quit. No warning whatsoever.

So goes it I guess. This was one of the 1st gen drives that they put in the PB Ghz w/SuperDrive when it first came out in Nov 2002
600 MHz iMac, 512 MB RAM

Forum Links
Forum Rules