Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > RealNetworks Seeks Musical Alliance With Apple

RealNetworks Seeks Musical Alliance With Apple
pliny
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2004, 11:43 PM

According to the NYT, which got the leaked email from someone close to Apple, Real's CEO Rob Glaser (who used to work for MS), sent Steve an email. In it he "made a direct appeal last week to Apple Computer, its Internet music rival, suggesting that the two companies form a common front against Microsoft in the digital music business."

Real wants to license Apple's Fairplay DRM so that Real's customers can play their music, bought from Real's music store, Rhapsody, on the iPod. In return, "RealNetworks would make the iPod its primary device for the RealNetworks store and for the RealPlayer software."

If Steve says no, Real says it may make a deal with MS and switch to providing music and video in WMA. Real says Apple risks doing with its music stuff what it did with its Macs, not licensing them, and thus not growing its business long term.

The story is up at the NYT.
i look in your general direction

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2004, 11:56 PM

If true, I hope that Apple does license fairplay DRM to Real. It would be nice for AAC to become more than 'just an Apple thing' like it seems at the moment. I had to buy a non-iPod portable music player not long ago, and asked at many stores which ones played AAC. Not a single person had heard of it. And not a single player that I could find (other than iPod) would play AAC files, DRM or no DRM.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2004, 12:02 AM

I hope they license it, but at the same time... They are going down in flames and are trying to sink their hooks in to anyone making money...

dtriska
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2004, 01:23 AM

Seeing as Apple makes money by selling iPods, licensing FairPlay is a good idea. The more stores that tie customers into iPods, the better for Apple.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2004, 01:27 AM

I hope that Apple do the right thing this time and really push AAC and Fairplay.

It can only be a good thing (tm)
( Last edited by The Placid Casual; Apr 15, 2004 at 02:00 AM. )

Link
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2004, 01:51 AM

Ditto. One can only hope apple goes with real.

Remember they're not really making anything on the music store but they're making a damn goood amount on the ipods. Having AAC cross compatibiliy could be good.

Then again quicktime and realvideo compete.. could this mean a deal where you can play real in quicktime? hrmm
Aloha

kikkoman
Senior User
Apr 15, 2004, 08:02 AM

Is Fairplay even Apple's property? I thought it was licensed from Veridisc.

http://64.244.235.240/

pliny  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2004, 08:18 AM

Apple maybe should license its Fairplay as a way to sell more pods, but I wonder if Real is the right partner. Their stuff isn't exactly um too nifty lately. They don't have much to bring to the table.
i look in your general direction

gerbnl
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 15, 2004, 08:51 AM

Originally posted by kikkoman:
Is Fairplay even Apple's property? I thought it was licensed from Veridisc.

http://64.244.235.240/

Hmm, they're not making much money from it, given the fact they had to hire a dyslectic webdesigner
These people are Americans. Don't expect anything meaningful or... uh... normalcy...

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2004, 08:55 AM

Originally posted by gerbnl:
Hmm, they're not making much money from it, given the fact they had to hire a dyslectic webdesigner
1) that's not what dyslexic means
2) you didn't even spell it right

-r.

gerbnl
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 15, 2004, 09:11 AM

Originally posted by rjenkinson:
1) that's not what dyslexic means
2) you didn't even spell it right

-r.
Oh! my! that's all very interesting...

but please go bother native english speakers with this, even faulty, drivel... Do you hear me going on about your Dutch?

it is spelled right: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=dyslectic&r=67

and dyslexia (this time with a 'x') could easy lead to mistakes as in the picture. Granted: stupidity is another likely source, as is carelessness and what not.

-g.
These people are Americans. Don't expect anything meaningful or... uh... normalcy...

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2004, 09:22 AM

In all fairness dictionary.com probably shouln't be relied too much upon

I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

gerbnl
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 15, 2004, 09:24 AM

Originally posted by voodoo:
In all fairness dictionary.com probably shouln't be relied too much upon

Oh! i didn't thunk you'd notice!

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2004, 09:29 AM

While I think licensing Fairplay and expanding AAC would be a good thing. This is coming from the guy who has been dissing Apple and iTMS since his company got into the Music download business. Sounds like he is getting desperate and is trying to find some way to keep his music download store from going the way of the dinosaur.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2004, 09:58 AM

Hmmm...
i'm not too familiar with the fairPlay stuff. But i do see some issues arising:
1. The recipe is : iTunes + iPod + iTunes Music Store = great user experience. Apparently in this deal Real wants to mess with 2 out of 3 of the above. If ppl with iPods can play songss from Real's store, what kind of 'rights' will they have ? Will they be the same as songs purchased from iTMS ?
2. If Apple does ink the deal w/ Real. whats the user 'experience' going to be w/ real software ? using the iPod just wont be the same imo.
3. What happens if Real decides to use the WMA format with fairplay, thus jepordizing AAC and rendering the iPod useless (unless Apple builds in compatibility, which i hope they will never do) ?

I guess if i were Apple(Steve), these would be my conditions:
1. use iTunes, but they can have their own store for music.
2. Lock out Microsoft from the partnership (unless they start using AAC/openstandards)

Thants just my opinion though.
personally i'd like to see some major partnerships formed here, to combat Sony and Microsoft.... and soon. Also Apple has gotten nowhere with an international iTMS.....there are a heck of a lot of computer users outside the U.S. and from the looks of it, the other players are in a feeding frenzy. Apple NEEDS to secure international markets (Europe, Asia(Japan) and Australia) ASAP.

Cheers

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2004, 10:15 AM

The only problem I could see would be Real making adds, REAL PLAYEER 10, NOW TEAMING UP WITH APPLE, APPLE LOVES US, YOU HATE US, DON"T BUY FROM APPLE!

Or something like that... which could kinda happen though not written in all caps...

piot
Forum Regular
Apr 15, 2004, 10:38 AM

From the NYT article:
"In exchange, RealNetworks would make the iPod its primary device for the RealNetworks store and for the RealPlayer software."

Anyone know what 'devices' can currently play Real's brand of AAC?
Piot

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2004, 10:45 AM

Originally posted by piot:
From the NYT article:
"In exchange, RealNetworks would make the iPod its primary device for the RealNetworks store and for the RealPlayer software."

Anyone know what 'devices' can currently play Real's brand of AAC?
No. Nothing I can think of plays anything other than WiMP or Apple AAC.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2004, 10:52 AM

Originally posted by typoon:
While I think licensing Fairplay and expanding AAC would be a good thing. This is coming from the guy who has been dissing Apple and iTMS since his company got into the Music download business. Sounds like he is getting desperate and is trying to find some way to keep his music download store from going the way of the dinosaur.
Yah, I really don't like the attitude Real has had against Apple. Very childish to say the least.

That being said, the enemy of my enemy is my friend. If it's in the best interest of Apple and Real isn't being unrealistic about what they want, I don't see any problems.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2004, 10:58 AM

If I were Steve, I would require them to use AAC.

I would also add a Real component to iTunes (that doesn't suck). The real component would permit all of the "cool" features of Rhapsody and let Real do that thing (I wouldn't want it, but some obviously like it).

I'm sure real wouldn't go for it... but who knows.

If he is serious about making a consolidated front against M$, then Real needs to suck it up. It's either get on board with Apple or become "Just another (of many) online WMA sellers".

Good luck as they all lose money.

WhaMe
Forum Regular
Apr 15, 2004, 11:01 AM

A reason for Apple not wanting to team up with Real is that Windows users may end up using the Real software rather than iTunes (which also includes the installation of Quicktime). PC vendors would be much more likely to sell computers with Real Player pre-installed, rather than offering iTunes. By having iPods only compatable with iTunes, Windows users are exposed to Apple's software and may be convinced that Apple is capable of making quality software in addition to sleek hardware and the users may make the switch.

Just my 2 cents.

nemanirc
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 15, 2004, 11:10 AM

Find a way to work with Real. Apple reported revenue gains yesterday on iPod sales, not iTunes. Whatever helps move more iPods is better for Apple.

benb
Apr 15, 2004, 12:27 PM

Wouldn't it be nice if to make this deal Real must allow it's format to be playable through QuickTime?

No more RealPlayer!

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2004, 12:44 PM

If the deal does go ahead... do we get the added 'bonus' of the 'buffering' message before every track?

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2004, 12:46 PM

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:
If the deal does go ahead... do we get the added 'bonus' of the 'buffering' message before every track?
If that happens I'd advise you people to invest in canned foods and shotguns.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2004, 02:43 PM

We really can't make a logical decision unless we know what Real offered.

I don't think Apple should jump on board unless it's really worth it for them.

I wouldn't mind iTunes having Real built in (as long as it doesn't suck)

WhaMe
Forum Regular
Apr 15, 2004, 05:39 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
We really can't make a logical decision unless we know what Real offered.

Well said!

funkboy
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2004, 06:15 PM

More market share is good for Apple, though.

License FairPlay, Apple - please! For us, your fans!

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 15, 2004, 08:54 PM

"He's in the neighborhood, but whatever meeting Rob wanted with Steve isn't happening," RealNetworks spokesman Greg Chiemingo said Thursday. "Steve just doesn't want to open the iPod, and we don't understand that."

Executives at Cupertino-based Apple declined to comment.
Source

Forum Links
Forum Rules