Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > ATI 8500 drivers

ATI 8500 drivers
schwa
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2002, 10:29 AM

Shortly after upgrading to 10.2, I got an ATI 8500 AGP card. I installed the ATI July update, but now I'm not sure whether those drivers, or the ones bundled in the Jag install, are the current ones.

Anyone know? And where are the individual components, so I can see what's actually installed?

TIA...

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2002, 11:48 AM

The Jaguar ones are newer, use them instead.
The actual bundles are in /System/Library/Extensions

schwa  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2002, 03:07 PM

Thanks

If I just replace the files, should I be OK, or do I need to re-install 10.2?

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2002, 09:51 PM

Heh, I had to check first before I went and told you to do something stupid.

Do you have all the files that originally came with Jaguar? If so, just replace the other ones with them, in the /System/Library/Extensions folder.
Then, immediately after that, delete the file called "Extensions.kextcache" in the /System/Library folder.
Then reboot right away.

I did that, and everything is back to 100% working order on my machine, so you should be OK. If worse comes to worst, you'll have to reinstall.

I can't give any info beyond that, so if something goes horribly wrong, uh, don't blame me I have to use this machine for my daily job, so I tend to not muck around with things like this. Hope this helps!
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 30, 2002, 10:11 PM

If you don't have the original drivers, you can use Pacifist (http://www.charlessoft.com) to extract them from the OS install packages on the Mac OS X Install CD.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

K++
Senior User
Oct 1, 2002, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
If you don't have the original drivers, you can use Pacifist (http://www.charlessoft.com) to extract them from the OS install packages on the Mac OS X Install CD.
hehe, I just love how you pimp your app.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2002, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by K++:

hehe, I just love how you pimp your app.
Hey, it's a solution to the problem that started the thread...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

vinster
Senior User
Oct 1, 2002, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by schwa:
Shortly after upgrading to 10.2, I got an ATI 8500 AGP card. I installed the ATI July update, but now I'm not sure whether those drivers, or the ones bundled in the Jag install, are the current ones.

Anyone know? And where are the individual components, so I can see what's actually installed?

TIA...
IIRC the 10.2.1 installer updates all of the video drivers, so I'd stick with those.

schwa  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 2, 2002, 10:07 AM

Originally posted by vinster:

IIRC the 10.2.1 installer updates all of the video drivers, so I'd stick with those.
This may be the case. I compared my 10.2.1 machine at home (I upgraded to 10.2.1 after installing the ATI July update) with my 10.2.1 machine at work, and the extensions files look the same.

Thanks for your input

dfiler
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 2, 2002, 10:56 AM

I installed the ATI update on 10.2 and it crunked the OS. It would only start via the safe mode key combo. The update installs at least one file that you'll need to delete and it replaces other files that you will need to restore. Sorry, I can't remember the names of these. The one you need to delete has ATI in its name. Give Charles' Pacifist program a shot. Otherwise, a reinstall is neccessary.

Forum Links
Forum Rules