Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > How to rotate a QT movie?

How to rotate a QT movie?
thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2002, 08:51 AM

Simple question, I took a movie on my digital (still) camera today, you know, one of those 30 second 160x120 ones, but i took it in a portrait mode, as opposed to landscape. Therefore on the computer is appears as being sideways, how can I simply rotate it 90� to the right way up? Prefferably in QT player, but I also have Premiere and iMovie if this helps.

Jeremy

Nap
Nov 17, 2002, 10:29 AM

You can rotate it with QT Player Pro. Click on Movie Properties/VideoTrack/Size. You should see 4 buttons, two to flip the video and two (circular) to rotate the video by 90 degrees. When it is oriented correctly, you can then either save as a dependent file or a self-contained movie. You don' t have to re-encode it for this to work.

Ormnik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2004, 03:41 AM

I tried this and it works when viewing the movie in Movie Player but when you put the movie into iDVD v 4.0.1 it appears to be to wide and makes it look like it has been compacted vertically. Is there a way to make it look normal in iDVD? Is there an editing program I can use to make it compatible? The current size of the movie is 240 wide by 320 tall. It seems that iDVD wants them to be 320 wide by 240 tall. Thx!
( Last edited by Ormnik; Sep 27, 2004 at 04:04 AM. )
Harmon Kardon Soundsticks / Elgato USB EyeTV
Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz / 2Gb / 80 Gb / Superdrive / Mac OS 10.4.7 / 64Mb Video / Wireless Keyboard & Mouse / Harmon Kardon Soundsticks / 60Gb 5G video iPod / 8Gb 2G Nano --
1.83GHz Core Duo Mac Mini / 512Mb / 80Gb / Superdrive / Mac OS 10.4.7 / Wireless Keyboard & Mouse / 800W Pioneer 5.1 Sound System / InFocus IN72 DLP Projector / 500Gb External Drive

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2004, 10:46 AM

you'll have to add black bars to the movie with QTPro. Open a black image of the right dimensions (about 427x360) in QTPro, copy, go to your movie, Add Scaled, adjust the layers so it's on the bottom, move the movie around to your liking (in the Size pane again).

Forum Links
Forum Rules