Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Mac G5 & Cingular 8125 PDA

Mac G5 & Cingular 8125 PDA
rossdret
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2006, 04:00 PM

I own a G5 Mac and am quite happy with it except for connecting my Cingular 8125 PDA to it!! I have no problem connecting to it via bluetooth (I think)

I was doing a little research online and I guess I need to download a program called "missing sync" if I want to be able to sync my computer with my phone. However cingular 8125 isn't supported yet?? Isn't this phone a year old already? Any News on that?

As well I am stuck in a place where I need to use my phone to connect my G5 Mac to the internet.

- I called Cingular and update my plan so I am now paying for this service.
- I inserted all this info

* CINGULAR WIRELESS CUSTOMERS:
Account name: [email protected] or [email protected]
Password: CINGULAR1
Telephone Number: *99***1# or *99# or *99***3#

* Did these steps

Ensure that the following boxes are unchecked.
Send PPP echo packets.
Use TCP header compression.
Connect using a terminal window (command line).
Select Off in the "Configure IPv6" drop down menu, then press OK

I even downloaded Ross Barkman's Modem Script and added it to the library.

http://www.taniwha.org.uk/files/iPAQ-GSM-2005-04.sit

and choose that as my modem in the drop down list

* Finished with all these settings and I think I can finnally connect to the internet.... NOPE... when I click connect it gives me this error "No carrier detected. Check phone lines and try again"

I see that when I click connect my phone lights up for a quick second and then I get the message on my computer.

I have a pretty strong Signal with a BIG E for my connection status so I don't think that is the problem.

Might have been way too much information but if anyone can help me out with this I would be truly indebted!

Thanks in Advance!

Ross

rossdret  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2006, 08:15 PM

Hate to bump this message and be a jerk... but i am in a desperate situation. I know the above post seems lengthy but i just listed all the steps that i did.

bottom line... i can connect my phone via bluetooth to my mac.... but when i start the internet connection i get the error message "no carrier detcted. check phone lines and try again"

if anyone could help purtty please... i will take out the trash and do the dishes for a year!!!

thanks,

ross

art_director
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2006, 10:36 AM

1 ) The 8125 is supported by MissingSync.SEE: The Missing Sync for Windows Mobile - Synchronize Mac OS X to Pocket PC, Windows Mobile, WM5 and Smartphone

2 ) Have you been able to connect to the internet with the phone itself?

3 ) You'll probably get more help and interest in this post at a site specific to phones and this device in particular. Two suggestions for site to visit:

HowardForums.com -- Perhaps the best phone site in existence. Look under PocketPC and Cingular. Be warned that the Cingular forum will be full of a lot of Razr users and may not get you as many answers.

XDA-Developers.com -- This site is dedicated to phones that are made by HTC, yours included. Here you'll find a strong, educated community, good advice / information and tools to unlock your phone from Cingular's network. You can also get custom ROMs ( the OS ), modified radio stacks and free software.

nationwide
Sep 6, 2006, 09:55 PM

i agree with art you need to see it the phone can connect to the internet by itself first, also if you are getting no carrier detected you may need to change the gprs string or telephone number as you call it, call cingular to see if you have the correct info, they will give you all the info you need. i did the same thing when i started using my nokia smartphone as a wireless modem, AND MAKE SURE YOU HAVE AN UNLIMITED INTERNET ACCOUNT SET UP!!!!!!! NOT DOING SO COULD CAUSE A HIGH PHONE BILL FROM CINGULAR. also check out f1000 forum in this section also as he has been tethering phones and scripts for some time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules