Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 52)
Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2006, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
It's amazing to think that Sony only stopped production of the PS1 (PSOne) this year.
Yup they also plan on supporting the PS2 for much much longer unlike Microsoft and Nintendo who just ditch the old system when the new comes out.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 4, 2006, 05:29 PM

I assume you meant "like Microsoft and Nintendo."

Actually Nintendo is doing a pretty good job now, considering that they have pretty much 100% GC compatibility with the Wii and also have Virtual Console games (admittedly you have to buy them again even if you have them in cartridge form, so it's not really backward compatibility).

I'm still rather surprised at how quickly Microsoft abandoned the Xbox 1. You can't buy them new anymore and a lot of games will probably never be compatible with the 360. It's sad, really.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2006, 05:34 PM

I assume you meant "like Microsoft and Nintendo."

Actually Nintendo is doing a pretty good job now, considering that they have pretty much 100% GC compatibility with the Wii and also have Virtual Console games (admittedly you have to buy them again even if you have them in cartridge form, so it's not really backward compatibility).

I'm still rather surprised at how quickly Microsoft abandoned the Xbox 1. You can't buy them new anymore and a lot of games will probably never be compatible with the 360. It's sad, really.
I did, sorry.

The GC BC is a bit of a piss off though as you have to use the old wired controllers. The VC doesn't count as you have to buy them again.

At any rate for those who don't have the Wii new GC games are going to fall off the map which isn't good for the 25 million GC owners.

The 1 thing that I HATE about the 360 is the piss poor BC compatibility and updates.
( Last edited by Dark Helmet; Dec 4, 2006 at 06:19 PM. )

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2006, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
At any rate for those who don't have the Wii new GC games are going to fall off the map which isn't good for the 25 million GC owners.
There already haven't been many new GC games the last couple of years.

ink
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2006, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by DakarĀ² View Post
But seriously, did anyone really believe or care about Sony's claim. That is, outside of you, apparently.
They have to, in order to get it classified as a "computer" for tax reasons in certain countries. Otherwise, the PS3 would be subject to higher taxes as a luxury item.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 4, 2006, 05:45 PM

Really? That's interesting. I seem to recall the PS2 being subject to export restrictions because of its status as a "supercomputer" or some nonsense.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the waterā€¦ of the Arabian Sea
Dec 4, 2006, 05:50 PM

Well good for the Xbox but this argument is rather wonkey to begin with.
My point was that although the PPE core isn't the greatest general purpose core, 3 mediocre cores is better than one slightly faster clocked one. Each of the three PPE cores in the 360 is basically the same as the one PPE core in the PS3, and we already know that Linux runs relatively OK on just one PPE core of the PS3.

ie. If you compiled a general purpose OS for the Xbox 360, it would probably run as fast as a Dual G4 1.x GHz Power Mac in terms of general feel with business applications.

DakarĀ²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2006, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by ink View Post
They have to, in order to get it classified as a "computer" for tax reasons in certain countries. Otherwise, the PS3 would be subject to higher taxes as a luxury item.
Beaurocrats and Sony employees don't count as people.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2006, 06:10 PM

Really? That's interesting. I seem to recall the PS2 being subject to export restrictions because of its status as a "supercomputer" or some nonsense.
So was the first G4.

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 4, 2006, 06:11 PM

The GC BC is a bit of a piss off though as you have to use the old wired controllers.
That's a good point... Do Wavebirds work on Wii?
tin pot, garden shed

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2006, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by OB1 View Post
That's a good point... Do Wavebirds work on Wii?
Ya but not till you fire up a game and don't work in the WIi menues. Even then you have the ugly adapter sticking out the top of the Wii and I never liked the GC controllers to begin with.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2006, 07:53 PM

Ya but not till you fire up a game and don't work in the WIi menues. Even then you have the ugly adapter sticking out the top of the Wii and I never liked the GC controllers to begin with.
In other words, I could use the wireless Gamecube controllers, but I don't want to, so I'm going to complain about having to use the wired controllers.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2006, 07:55 PM

got viva pinata yesterday, ohmygosh it owns.
Amazing graphics too... like, better than GoW!
we don't have time to stop for gas

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2006, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
In other words, I could use the wireless Gamecube controllers, but I don't want to, so I'm going to complain about having to use the wired controllers.
Well, there is a point there in that GCN BC should work through the classic controller. All these different controllers required for every little thing... thought the Wii was supposed to be for casual gamers?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the waterā€¦ of the Arabian Sea
Dec 4, 2006, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
got viva pinata yesterday, ohmygosh it owns.
Amazing graphics too... like, better than GoW!
It looked amusing, but I was under the impression that it was built as a kids game and after the initial coolness, it got less interesting quickly.

Or at least that was what I read online somewhere. Is that false in your opinion?

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2006, 09:41 PM

definatley.
its a really fun, deep game. I'd actually say that this had more chance of GOTY than GoW...
we don't have time to stop for gas

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 5, 2006, 12:32 AM

definatley.
its a really fun, deep game. I'd actually say that this had more chance of GOTY than GoW...

I wouldn't like the odds on that one.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2006, 12:50 AM

In other words I sold my gamecube so I would have to buy GC controllers again but I also would think I could buy the "Classic controller" with dual analog sticks.. but wait... it doesn't work.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 5, 2006, 01:46 AM

In other words I sold my gamecube so I would have to buy GC controllers again but I also would think I could buy the "Classic controller" with dual analog sticks.. but wait... it doesn't work.
Why did you do that? It was known ahead of time the Classic controllers wouldn't work for Cube games. There was even a debate here on the topic.

I gave my Cube away and I still have a few Cube games around. At some point maybe I'll pick up a few more Cube controllers, but it's no big deal.

If Nintendo patches the Wii to provide support for the Gamecube controllers, that will be fine. Otherwise, I understand the technical reasons why bluetooth based controllers won't work.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2006, 06:21 AM

But why are you still on this? I, too, am disappointed by the lack of Classic controller functionality in GameCube games, but I decided to get a couple of wavebirds and it works just fine. The perfect solution? No. But it works.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 5, 2006, 08:07 AM

Well, my PS3 shipped. I should have it today or tomorrow. It's just a 20GB model, but the more I think about it, the less I think the difference between the two models is significant. The card reader is pretty meaningless, since you can use a USB reader, and the chrome on the 60GB model arguably makes the console look worse than having it be all black. The wireless on the 60GB would have been nice for the PSP connectivity, but I just can't see myself using the PS3 as a server for photos or video, so it would've been something that I tried once or twice and forgot about. You can still connect the PSP with a USB cable for downloading PS1 games or for connecting to future PS3 games (I believe). And since the hard drive is easily upgradable, I don't even have to worry too much about running out of space.

I'll post some impressions after I get it and have a chance to play around with it. These last couple weeks have just been crazy. Two console launches with 2 days of each other. I've been thinking recently that this is just an amazing time to be a gamer. We have 3 outstanding portable systems and 3 console systems, not to mention the 3 last-gen systems.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2006, 08:17 AM

I've been thinking recently that this is just an amazing time to be a gamer. We have 3 outstanding portable systems and 3 console systems, not to mention the 3 last-gen systems.
If it weren't for the Wii, that should have been amended with "unless you don't have a lot of disposable income." But, you're right. It's nice to have choices and the three consoles each offer their own thing, though I still wish M$ trying to dominate in yet another industry.

As for the portables, I guess you're still counting the GBA, which is fair, but is surely not the future.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 5, 2006, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Gabriel Morales View Post
If it weren't for the Wii, that should have been amended with "unless you don't have a lot of disposable income." But, you're right. It's nice to have choices and the three consoles each offer their own thing, though I still wish M$ trying to dominate in yet another industry.
While I agree that the next-gen consoles have priced themselves out of many people's reach, you also have to agree that the DS, PSP and PS2 offer some pretty good lower-priced alternatives.

As for the portables, I guess you're still counting the GBA, which is fair, but is surely not the future.
Well, it's still a current system and seems to be selling pretty well even though new releases are slowing to a trickle.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2006, 09:32 AM

definatley.
Um, no.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2006, 09:33 AM

Well, my PS3 shipped. I should have it today or tomorrow. It's just a 20GB model, but the more I think about it, the less I think the difference between the two models is significant. The card reader is pretty meaningless, since you can use a USB reader, and the chrome on the 60GB model arguably makes the console look worse than having it be all black. The wireless on the 60GB would have been nice for the PSP connectivity, but I just can't see myself using the PS3 as a server for photos or video, so it would've been something that I tried once or twice and forgot about. You can still connect the PSP with a USB cable for downloading PS1 games or for connecting to future PS3 games (I believe). And since the hard drive is easily upgradable, I don't even have to worry too much about running out of space.

I'll post some impressions after I get it and have a chance to play around with it. These last couple weeks have just been crazy. Two console launches with 2 days of each other. I've been thinking recently that this is just an amazing time to be a gamer. We have 3 outstanding portable systems and 3 console systems, not to mention the 3 last-gen systems.
My original Dazzle USB reader did NOT work with the 20GB. Grab the $30 Sony 17-in-one reader.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2006, 12:33 PM

"What will happen between then and now is that Sony will introduce a series of firmware upgrades that will give the PS3 more media centre capability while allowing for the introduction of third party applications and hardware "Such as interactive controllers" similar to the Nintendo Wii he said."

Smarthouse - Console

That's the problem I saw coming from day one. Pretty much Sony can exactly copy or improve on a Wii controller that works on the PS3. Then it just comes down to price and game library.

DakarĀ²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2006, 12:35 PM

They'd better do more than just copy it.

I can't wait to see the beating the Nintendo boys give Sony should they actually add that functionality, though.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 5, 2006, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by DakarĀ² View Post
They'd better do more than just copy it.

I can't wait to see the beating the Nintendo boys give Sony should they actually add that functionality, though.
Not to mention the lawyers knocking on Sony's door.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2006, 12:58 PM

Um, why? Sony or Nintendo aren't the first to do that.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 5, 2006, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Um, why? Sony or Nintendo aren't the first to do that.
The setup Nintendo has on their controllers to make them work is unique and does have a patent pending. If Sony wants to do the same they'll have to do it in a less than optimal way to keep from walking on Nintendo's patents.

This is pretty much an admission by Sony that the Wiimote isn't that much of a gimmick.

(I'd also like to see the complaints when Sony forces people to buy two kinds of controllers on top of the PS3's $600 price tag.)

DakarĀ²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2006, 01:01 PM

Case in point.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2006, 01:15 PM

The setup Nintendo has on their controllers to make them work is unique and does have a patent pending. If Sony wants to do the same they'll have to do it in a less than optimal way to keep from walking on Nintendo's patents.

This is pretty much an admission by Sony that the Wiimote isn't that much of a gimmick.

(I'd also like to see the complaints when Sony forces people to buy two kinds of controllers on top of the PS3's $600 price tag.)
Again, know your history.

Sony WAS going to release an addon for Mercury for the PSP which does motion detection, LONG before N announced their new controller. So, this isn't anything new for Sony. We'll have to see what Sony comes up with.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 5, 2006, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Again, know your history.

Sony WAS going to release an addon for Mercury for the PSP which does motion detection, LONG before N announced their new controller. So, this isn't anything new for Sony. We'll have to see what Sony comes up with.
Combinations of technologies are patentable, and I highly doubt the PSP was using IR for it's motion sensing.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2006, 01:21 PM

The Wii remote isn't using IR for motion sensing either.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 5, 2006, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by itai195 View Post
It's using it for pointing, which I'd assume Sony would want to copy too. Otherwise, the Six Axis already does motion sensing, even if it isn't quite as elegant.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2006, 01:26 PM

Ok I see what your point is

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2006, 01:29 PM

Combinations of technologies are patentable, and I highly doubt the PSP was using IR for it's motion sensing.
No kidding. Why would it use IR to check on its own positioning? Duh.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2006, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by itai195 View Post
It does in the flying level I mentioned in Zelda. Not motion sensing but you tilt and point the cursor where you want to fly.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2006, 02:18 PM

It does in the flying level I mentioned in Zelda. Not motion sensing but you tilt and point the cursor where you want to fly.
I haven't gotten there yet, but the IR in that application is most likely used just to determine where you're pointing. As goMac said though, it's the combination of IR and motion sensing that probably is significant here, though I'm not a patent lawyer (thank god)

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 5, 2006, 04:43 PM

I've been reading more about Sony's implementation of PS1 games on the PSP. The initial service isn't the most user-friendly, since you need both a PS3 and a PSP just to download the games, and you can only play them on the PSP at the moment. Plus they only have about 6 games available, but these are all issues that will be fixed in time. Apparently the games play and look great on the PSP. They are also only $5.99, which makes Nintendo's pricing look pretty high, especially when you consider the fact that Sony's games will eventually be playable on both their home console and portable system.

This made me think -- how cool would it be if you could download your virtual console games to your DS? Nintendo could theoretically release a cartridge of some kind that would contain flash memory, or maybe even an SD card slot. For all of the systems besides the N64, this should be no problem, but I'm not sure that the DS has the horsepower to emulate the N64. I realize that the DS has a fair number of N64 ports in its library, but I believe these have been altered to some degree to help them run on the DS hardware. Still, it's within the realm of possibility, and if it were true I would be a LOT more likely to buy VC games.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2006, 04:45 PM

That's still only in Japan, right?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 5, 2006, 05:27 PM

Nope, in the US now too.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2006, 05:31 PM

I've been reading more about Sony's implementation of PS1 games on the PSP. The initial service isn't the most user-friendly, since you need both a PS3 and a PSP just to download the games, and you can only play them on the PSP at the moment..
Ya it is strange but they are going to remove the PS3 from the equation soon according to them.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 5, 2006, 06:44 PM

Just got XBox 360 number two.

I'm begging everyone here - if you hear me talking about THINKING about selling my 360, request my address and send me a bomb in the mail. You'll be saving my wife some time and my life will end with me looking like a victim rather than just an idiot.

As for the matter at hand, the PS1 games need to be playable on the PS3 sooner rather than later. It seems like this might be a cheap ploy to spike PSP sales over the holiday season, but of course that's just a conspiracy theory (nope...true). Regardless, people are going to want to play these games at home, not on a small PSP screen. Seems like an inexplicable move at this point. I'm not sure why they would do that.

Any news on current shipments of PS3/Wii's?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2006, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
What? Did you really sell the old one to get a Wii and then sell the Wii and get an Xbox again?

Remember my PM if true

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 5, 2006, 06:52 PM

As for the matter at hand, the PS1 games need to be playable on the PS3 sooner rather than later. It seems like this might be a cheap ploy to spike PSP sales over the holiday season, but of course that's just a conspiracy theory (nope...true).
Which part of it is a cheap ploy? The fact that you have to download them on a PS3? How on earth would that spur PSP sales more than just letting people download them directly onto the PSP? I think the problem is simply that Sony was putting all of their energy into getting their PS3 online store ready for the launch and didn't have time to do a PC or PSP version. So for the moment, the only way you can download these games is through the PS3, but that will change.

Regardless, people are going to want to play these games at home, not on a small PSP screen. Seems like an inexplicable move at this point. I'm not sure why they would do that.
I think the demand for playing PS1 games on a portable is a lot bigger than the demand for playing downloadable PS1 games on the PS3. Remember that the PS3 can already play PS1 games if you have the disc. It's being able to play these games on the PSP that has people excited (at that's true with me, and seems to hold true from what I have read).

Ham Sandwich
Dec 5, 2006, 06:54 PM

Dude, that's just plain nuts.

Sounds like something I'd do

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 5, 2006, 07:10 PM

What? Did you really sell the old one to get a Wii and then sell the Wii and get an Xbox again?

Remember my PM if true
T'is true...t'is. And I promise you, this is the last one. And by the way, I'm finding help.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 5, 2006, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by screamingFit View Post
Dude, that's just plain nuts.

Sounds like something I'd do
I've done it around 20 times. I'm mocked publicly quite often for this.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 5, 2006, 07:19 PM

Which part of it is a cheap ploy?
Originally Posted by Jawbone54
As for the matter at hand, the PS1 games need to be playable on the PS3 sooner rather than later. It seems like this might be a cheap ploy to spike PSP sales over the holiday season, but of course that's just a conspiracy theory (nope...true).

Forum Links
Forum Rules