Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Video Camera, USB/Firewire

Video Camera, USB/Firewire
obmij5
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2007, 12:52 AM

i have a Samsung SC-D363 mini DV camera. The only plugin it has is via USB, apple claims to only support video capture through firewire. Is there anyway around this? Please help!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2007, 01:22 AM

Samsung SCD363 Driver Summary claims to have a driver for it.

obmij5  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2007, 12:29 AM

here are the contents of that file (the right two columns, the far left is my desktop):

i obviously can't use the .exe files (at least i dont think i can), can i copy some dll files somewhere to make everything better?

nationwide
Jan 11, 2007, 01:33 AM

if it's a DV camera it should have a firewire DV port on the camera somewhere near the usb port. you would have to go buy a 6pin to 4pin firewire cable($19 at walmart). i just bought a DV camcorder that only had the usb cable included. so i had to go do the same any buy a firewire cable but MAKE SURE IT'S A 6 PIN TO 4 PIN FIREWIRE CABLE. a 6pin to 6pin cable will not work. with a firewire connection you will have total control of your camcorder from you computer when importing videos. but just in case it doesn't have the DV port. just plug in the usb, the mac should read it as an external drive or folder, just like if you had a digital camera and recorded videos instead of photo's on it, you would drag the files to your hard drive, then you could import them into imovie or final cut pro or express. that's how i used to put videos on my mac when i would shoot vidoes with my digital camera which connected via usb until i bought a mini DV camcorder. i'm sure this would work if you actually saved the movies to a memory card instead of recording you video to a mini DV tape, that is if your camcorder has a slot for a memory card and if the camcorder has the option to record video to the card as just as my camcorder is able to. i'm not an expert on this and i'm sure someone reading this will most likely correct me if i'm wrong, but if you plan on using a memory card you will need to get the largest one that will fit you camcorder. roughly a 2GIG card may record you about 20 to 30 minutes of video depending on the resolution setting on your camcorder. if your camcorder also take photo's most likely it has a card slot. if it does not have a card slot i'm not sure how to import videos from a usb connection. the drivers on the CD are not even needed, unless you were using them on a pc.
( Last edited by nationwide; Jan 11, 2007 at 02:22 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules