Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > OS9 or Tiger on a Wallstreet?

OS9 or Tiger on a Wallstreet?
megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 20, 2007, 10:36 PM

I recently bought a PowerBook G3 (Wallstreet, 300MHz G3, 192MB RAM, 8GB Hard Drive) for £30 and was wondering about which OS to install.

My first instinct was OS 9, as I'm sure the machine will be more than powerful enough for that.

However, looking on iFixit, it seems quite easy to access the hard drive and so it occurs to me I could take that out, put it in an enclosure. then install 10.4 using my iBook, and then put the drive back in the PowerBook.

What I'm wondering is whether or not this will cause any problems on the PowerBook? Does Tiger have all the hardware support necessary to run such an old machine? I know the latest official OS is 10.2.8, but I don't have those discs to hand.
( Last edited by megasad; Jan 20, 2007 at 11:26 PM. )
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2007, 11:22 PM

1. Not enough RAM for Tiger.
2. You'd burn 1/3 of your drive spave with an install.
3. Does it have Firewire? I think it's a requirement.

I'd go for 10.3

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

megasad  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 20, 2007, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by chris v View Post
1. Not enough RAM for Tiger.
2. You'd burn 1/3 of your drive spave with an install.
3. Does it have Firewire? I think it's a requirement.

I'd go for 10.3
No FireWire or even USB, it's that old. I do have 10.3 on CDs, but that is far away. I may try it next time I am near them.

I'm leaning more towards OS9 save for one big problem; I can't work out how to get OS9 to connect to my university network. I know the proxy settings and have no problem in OS X or Windows XP, but the one place that seemed to make sense in OS9 (the Internet control panel) doesn't seem to do the job, and I don't know why.
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2007, 11:36 PM

You can get a pretty lean install of 10.3 if you skip all the extra stuff, like printer drivers, then use something like Monolingual to remove all the extra languages. I've got an install of 10.3 on my iPod that's just a little over 1 gig.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 21, 2007, 08:41 AM

i suggest 10.3 AND os9. 9 does not take up much space.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2007, 09:48 AM

I didn't think you could run 10.x without USB

megasad  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 21, 2007, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by chris v View Post
You can get a pretty lean install of 10.3 if you skip all the extra stuff, like printer drivers, then use something like Monolingual to remove all the extra languages. I've got an install of 10.3 on my iPod that's just a little over 1 gig.
Originally Posted by gooser View Post
i suggest 10.3 AND os9. 9 does not take up much space.
Originally Posted by TailsToo View Post
I didn't think you could run 10.x without USB
To elaborate on what I shall be doing with this PowerBook once I've got it setup and runnng; it shall go to my 11 year old sister, so that she can write school work when the eMac I gave to my family last summer is being hogged by the rest of my siblings watching downloaded TV shows and the like.

So, for OS9 I have Microsoft Office 98 and for OS X I have Office 2004, so that's no problem. The main reason for OS X is that she's now used to using 10.4 on the eMac and has never used OS9. However, being 11, I'm sure she'd be able to pick up OS9 quite quickly... I do have 10.3, but the CDs are 5 hours away.

Anyway, hopefully tomorrow the power adaptor arrives (eBayer was kind enough to forget it originally, has supposedly posted it as of last Wednesday) and then I shall see what's what.

Also, for USB, I shall use cheap PCMCIA card.

megasad  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 23, 2007, 10:07 PM

As a brief update, I tried booting the Wallstreet into Tiger after first booting into OS 9 and running XPostFacto, but it never got further than the spinny wheel beneath the grey apple, so I gave up on that, have the Wallstreet running OS 9.2.2 very nicely now. If only I hadn't broken the hard drive as I put it back in the machine for the last time. Oh well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules