Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > New Apple Keyboard?

New Apple Keyboard?
megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 27, 2007, 12:00 PM

Some sexy photos via this Engadget article:

I like the look of it very much and may even consider buying one to replace the Apple Pro Keyboard I've been clinging onto since 2002 as I dislike the feel of their current keyboard. I just hope the Function keys are not final as I'd prefer volume and eject to be above the number pad and the iTunes controls to be F13-F15.
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2007, 12:03 PM

This might finally be my answer to finding a nice, inexpensive bluetooth keyboard.

Assuming they release a BT one.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Jul 27, 2007, 12:32 PM

If they release a BT one, I'm totally up for replacing my current BT Apple Keyboard. The flat keys are truly amazing and comfortable (awesome enough that I ended up choosing a MacBook over a MacBook Pro. XD)
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2007, 04:18 PM

I have a Macbook that I use either as a laptop around the house, or connected up, lid closed, on the desk.

If a) the photos are real (and they don't look shopped, way too many and too much detail) and b) they are pictures of the new Apple keyboard. Then I'll think of getting it.

Query: Look at the cursor key graphics (the > arrow is the sharpest in the image) and they look like they have an 'inner shadow' to the print, could the keys be backlit?

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2007, 04:43 PM

Looks ridiculous and very uncomfortable. Apple should make a variant of the Matias Tactile Pro 2 keyboard.

megasad  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 27, 2007, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Query: Look at the cursor key graphics (the > arrow is the sharpest in the image) and they look like they have an 'inner shadow' to the print, could the keys be backlit?
I see what you mean but looking at the other keys I think that is a trick of the light and that they are like the MacBook keys, with the characters being printed on slightly raised. Not that I would not like a (white) backlit bluetooth version of this keyboard; it would be almost perfect.
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

unhappyending
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2007, 04:56 PM

I'll buy it, I hate the current Mac keyboards... If they add another button to the mouse then I'd buy, the mouse and the keyboard.
 Mac mini 1.66GHz Intel Core Duo, OS X 10.5.3, 1GB Ram.
 iMac G3 350MHz PowerPC G3, OS X 10.3.9, 256MB Ram

megasad  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 27, 2007, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
Looks ridiculous and very uncomfortable. Apple should make a variant of the Matias Tactile Pro 2 keyboard.
That looks like the old Apple Pro Keyboard only better... a larger gap between the function keys and the rest of the keyboard, a USB 2.0 hub instead of USB 1.1...

Alas, its other main area of note, the one which a lot of people like it for, is its mechanical key switches. I understand that they are much liked and I have yet to try such a keyboard for myself, but the very idea of such a noisy keyboard puts me off. If I typed for a living, or even very much more than I do at present, I would be more interested... As it is, I prefer to type quietly, as I'm sure my girlfriend (who's asleep right now) does too.

As for this rumoured keyboard looking ridiculous and uncomfortable; I would prefer the base to be made of plastic rather than aluminium but I do not worry as to comfort as I've been using my MacBook's keyboard for the last two months rather than the Apple Pro one I had hooked up to it in university and am finding it very nice indeed. You have used the MacBook's keyboard for any great length of time?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2007, 08:09 PM

I love how it has Expose, dashboard, play, forward, back buttons.

Prob smart to take away the apple and put the word command. Over the phone new mac users never know what I am talking about.

If it was backlit it would be perfect.

gnomexp
Forum Regular
Jul 28, 2007, 12:13 AM

I'd love the keyboard if they 1) got rid of the FN button and related mapping, and 2) restored the original position for the volume and eject keys.

I actually use my F-keys and would like to have them as shortcuts in the future, WITHOUT having to press an additional key to trigger them. Having the eject key be easy for new people to find on a Mac is also, dare I say, supercritical.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Jul 28, 2007, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
Looks ridiculous and very uncomfortable.
Have you used a MacBook keyboard before?
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2007, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Prob smart to take away the apple and put the word command. Over the phone new mac users never know what I am talking about.
It would have been better to give up the ridiculous pretense that it was the 'command' key. It was clear to all new users that it was the 'Apple key'! I stopped trying to explain and just went with the flow after a while.

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Jul 28, 2007, 02:27 AM

I don't know if it is real or not. I find it puzzling why Apple would put volume controls where the function keys are configured by default for Exposé. Traditionally the volume controls have been above the numeric keypad.

If this keyboard is real it will likely ship with iMacs and Mac Pros. Therefore the next MacBook Pros will also have calculator-style keys to complete the range.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2007, 02:33 AM

I see what you're talking about. They moved the volume buttons to keys I currently use to control itunes. That'll be a pain.

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Jul 28, 2007, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
I see what you're talking about. They moved the volume buttons to keys I currently use to control itunes. That'll be a pain.
Still looks fakish. Where are all three Exposé keys? From an ergonomic point of view it doesn't make sense to move them to the left or all the way to the right. It doesn't make sense to move the volume controls from their traditional place when they are used less than Exposé. And if the whole range is going to have calculator-style keys and the Apple logo is going to be replaced, why wasn't it done to the recent MacBook Pro update? And the USB connectors being tucked away so deeply underneath will make them a nightmare to reach without lifting the keyboard. That's doesn't make Apple sense.

Faust
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 28, 2007, 03:15 AM

If true, it'd be wonderful. Just a week ago, I bought the diNovo Edge keyboard by Logitech. I bought it for its amazing flat and (for me) most comfortable keys. It feels very much like typing on a MacBook. Other than this comfort, however, I am not happy with the diNovo at all so if Apple were to release a new BT keyboard, I'd buy it instantly.

megasad  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 28, 2007, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by gnomexp View Post
I actually use my F-keys and would like to have them as shortcuts in the future, WITHOUT having to press an additional key to trigger them...
If they implement it in software the same way they currently do on the MacBooks, there will be an option in the "Keyboard & Mouse" preference pane to:
Use the F1-F12 keys to control software features
When this option is selected, press the Fn key to use the F1-F12 keys to control hardware features.
Change that to extend to F19 and you would be able to use all the Function keys for anything you want by default and only do the hardware things when holding down the Fn key.

Originally Posted by Obi Wan's Ghost View Post
Where are all three Exposé keys?
This is just speculation on my part, but maybe in Leopard Apple are planning on shifting the focus away from Exposé and onto Spaces? It only requires the one Function key rather than three... Plus, assigning the three isolated F13-F15 keys for Exposé might make more sense? Easier to find by touch at any rate.

It doesn't make sense to move the volume controls from their traditional place when they are used less than Exposé.
Unless you subscribe to the idea that this is all so that the MacBook keyboards can match their desktop counterparts in terms of function key layouts. At the moment, the MacBook has the volume keys on the left, the desktop on the right.
( Last edited by megasad; Jul 28, 2007 at 04:09 AM. )

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Jul 28, 2007, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by megasad View Post
This is just speculation on my part, but maybe in Leopard Apple are planning on shifting the focus away from Exposé and onto Spaces? It only requires the one Function key rather than three... Plus, assigning the three isolated F13-F15 keys for Exposé might make more sense?
Apple isn't shifting focus away from Exposé for multitasking. Spaces takes longer to switch between windows and apps. The purpose of Spaces is to create separate and distinct workspaces.

Assigning F13-F15 for Exposé by default makes no ergonomic sense. Why should volume keys, which are used less than Exposé, be closer to reach? The other problem is that if F13-F15 were assigned to Exposé on a default installation, this would create a problem. Apple would have to make OS X recognize it is installed on a notebook which only have function keys up to F12 and then reassign the defaults for Exposé. None of the developer builds have hinted at this. The most recent build of Leopard doesn't hint at a new keyboard or a new assigning of keys on desktops and notebooks.

Must mention again that the placement of the USB ports so deep underneath the keyboard couldn't not have come from the brain of Jonathan Ives or anyone on Apple's industrial design team. You will also notice photoshopping where the USB cable meets the keyboard. It's all grey and smeared out. Not a real shadow at all.

AND why is the keyboard resting on a Nikon lens hood and scrappy pieces of black velvet? Is this a real studio shoot or some dunce guy trying to look pro?
( Last edited by Obi Wan's Ghost; Jul 28, 2007 at 04:38 AM. )

megasad  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 28, 2007, 06:29 AM

Must mention again that the placement of the USB ports so deep underneath the keyboard couldn't not have come from the brain of Jonathan Ives or anyone on Apple's industrial design team.
The opposite occurred to me; the ports being recessed means that if, for example, you have your mouse plugged into the keyboard, the plug itself will be hidden from view and you'll only see the cable. Seems like a nice touch for something you always have plugged in, such as a mouse, but I agree a little awkward for thumbdrives and the like.

firefly
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 28, 2007, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by megasad View Post
The opposite occurred to me; the ports being recessed means that if, for example, you have your mouse plugged into the keyboard, the plug itself will be hidden from view and you'll only see the cable. Seems like a nice touch for something you always have plugged in, such as a mouse, but I agree a little awkward for thumbdrives and the like.
A lot of thumbdrives don't even seem to work on Apple's keyboard USB ports as they're low power. I think recessing the ports is a good idea.

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Jul 28, 2007, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by firefly View Post
A lot of thumbdrives don't even seem to work on Apple's keyboard USB ports as they're low power. I think recessing the ports is a good idea.
If Apple doesn't really want you sticking flash cards in them then yes it is ok. There are still too many things that stand out as fakish despite the good design.

DarkStarRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 28, 2007, 12:21 PM

Well I'd say that has other's have mentioned this is either early concept, the keys are staight out of a Macbook "laptop" almost since the  ⇪⇧ & other key-icons aren't seen. I would like to see them still on the keyboard, or will we now see the MS flag on a key just to keep those MS switchers happy! On the subject of the USB's it's OK! The thing I find wrong though is that their on the sides "either end" I would prefer to see them centralised has they are now. All white look too, but then that also depends on what the iMac will look like?

Forum Links
Forum Rules