Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Steam for Mac! OMG OMG OMG!

Steam for Mac! OMG OMG OMG!
moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2010, 01:04 AM

Please lord let this be true, this would be a real game changer for Mac users.

Valve's Steam Heading to the Mac? - Mac Rumors

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 27, 2010, 01:17 AM

How would it be a game changer? 99.99% of the Steam games will be Windows only. The 0.01% of independent games on Steam are what you're going to be playing.

Gabe Newell hates Macs, with a passion. You're never, ever, ever, ever going to see Counter Strike or any Source based game on Mac OS X. Ever.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2010, 01:50 AM

steam_welcomeaction_platformwrong" "%gamename% is not available on your current platform.

Expect to see that. A lot.

moep
Senior User
Feb 27, 2010, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
How would it be a game changer? 99.99% of the Steam games will be Windows only. The 0.01% of independent games on Steam are what you're going to be playing.

Gabe Newell hates Macs, with a passion. You're never, ever, ever, ever going to see Counter Strike or any Source based game on Mac OS X. Ever.
I expect the Source engine to be ported to mac (natively) if Steam ever comes to the mac platform. There were rumors about it already running on 10.4 back when the Apple market share was way less significant than it is now.
Of course they will charge ridiculous prices for all source-based mac versions, even when the account already owns the complete Valve/Source lineup.

But yeah, I agree that it is not going to be a game changer. Steam on OSX doesn’t mean anything to the majority of publishers, PC/Xbox/PS3 is where it is at.

Maybe if Valve comes up with its own Steam-branded wrapper á la CrossOver, Cider or Cedega — preferably one that isn’t based on WINE like the ones I mentioned. That could be interesting I guess… but it isn’t going to happen.
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

moonmonkey  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2010, 06:19 AM

How can you know that?

FYI if they port Steam and they used Wine to do it then games would only have to be qualified for compatibility, not-re written at all.

I play tons of Windows only Steam games on my mac via Wine, Halflife and counterstrike work seamlessly.

ibook_steve
Feb 27, 2010, 02:44 PM

Hmm...I think I hear an echo...

http://forums.macnn.com/77/gaming/41...irtualization/

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 2, 2010, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by moep View Post
I expect the Source engine to be ported to mac (natively) if Steam ever comes to the mac platform.
Don't hold your breath.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2010, 05:05 PM

Looks like those rumors were true.

Valve confirms intent to produce Mac games | MacNN

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 3, 2010, 05:26 PM

Did Apple pay Gabe Newell the $3 million dollars he wanted? I remember when Half-Life was first released, they had a working, networkable, Mac version. Gabe Newell had the project canned and claimed it wasn't working. The lead developer quit Valve stating that it was working perfectly fine, and that Gabe Newell's prejudice against the platform is what destroyed it.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2010, 06:19 PM

Are any other developers holding back their ports to coincide with the Steam for Mac intro? (Unreal Tournament 3? Pretty please?)

Demonhood
Administrator
Mar 3, 2010, 08:31 PM

and they sent the turret image to good ole MacNN.

this should be fairly huge. it'd be nice not to have to switch to windows to play my steam games.

DrTacoMD
Forum Regular
Mar 3, 2010, 08:39 PM

F*** yes.
Trust me. I'm a Taco.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2010, 08:58 AM

Man... I might actually play a new game for a change...

Time to delete Warcraft 3. (Oh yes, I did just say WC3)

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2010, 11:42 AM

I can't wait to delete my boot camp partition. Only reason I have it at all is for TF2.

Of course, I'll have to add another one once Old Republic comes out...

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2010, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Looks like those rumors were true.

Valve confirms intent to produce Mac games | MacNN
Hell has frozen over a second time in the Mac universe. I honestly couldn't believe the news when I read it.

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna
Are any other developers holding back their ports to coincide with the Steam for Mac intro? (Unreal Tournament 3? Pretty please?)
I honestly don't have a clue what happened to UT3 for Mac. It was in the works (heck there is a website for it), and then it just.... died. I'm not sure why. I heard from PC gamers it wasn't that great, but as I never got to try it, I never knew.

I guess now that I'm gaming on the Xbox 360, I could download the Xbox 360 demo of it. There must be a demo.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2010, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
I honestly don't have a clue what happened to UT3 for Mac. It was in the works (heck there is a website for it), and then it just.... died. I'm not sure why.
UT3 for Mac's developer Ryan C Gordon is "still" working on the port. He recently tweeted that OS X 10.6.2 finally fixed a "show-stopper bug" with the Shock Rifle. But he long ago complained about a "middleware" problem with the port process, probably some licensed code he needed to rip out and replace with brand new code.
I guess now that I'm gaming on the Xbox 360, I could download the Xbox 360 demo of it. There must be a demo.
There is a demo of UT3, but neither the demo or debut release of UT3 was that great: buggy and a maddening UI. Only with update 5 (also called update 2.1 for some reason) and the free Titan Pack did UT3 hit its stride. This coincided with its availability on Steam, with 2 free to download and play weekends. It was a successful relaunch of sorts, and I think Steam still sells an "Total Unreal Pack" with every Unreal and Unreal Tournament game for a cheap price.

You could try the demo. I think the vCTF-Suspense map was the highlight, and is still the equivalent of ONS-Torlan on UT2004 in popularity.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2010, 02:25 AM

Portal 2 confirmed for the Mac:
Valve's Portal 2 Confirmed for Mac - Mac Rumors

When is Valve going to actually make an announcement?

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2010, 02:06 PM

From the link I posted earlier.

A formal announcement is likely during the 2010 Game Developers Conference, scheduled for March 9th to the 13th.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2010, 02:25 PM

Portal 2 for Mac requirements released:

2GHz Intel Processor
64MB Video Card
Windows
Boot Camp

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2010, 03:25 PM

According to Game Informer they're going to release Steam in May, and any games purchased on the Windows side can be downloaded for no additional fee on the Mac side.

That is ****ing awesome.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2010, 03:26 PM

AppleInsider | Valve announces Steam for Mac, games will allow Mac-PC online play

Valve officially revealed Monday that its Steam online gaming service, along with the Source engine that powers titles such as Half-Life 2 and Left 4 Dead 2, is coming to the Mac in April.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2010, 03:27 PM

So much for Game Informer. But even better, didn't want to wait for May anyway.

DrTacoMD
Forum Regular
Mar 8, 2010, 04:22 PM

And here it is from Wired: Valve Brings Hit Games, Steam Service to Mac | GameLife | Wired.com

Money quote:
We are treating the Mac as a tier-1 platform so all of our future games will release simultaneously on Windows, Mac, and the Xbox 360.
I am so f***ing stoked right now. I can't wait to get rid of my Boot Camp partition (or at least shrink it by several gigs).
Trust me. I'm a Taco.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2010, 04:30 PM

This says a lot about the ever-growing popularity of Mac OSX. I guess Valve believes enough people are buying Macs these days to justify this kind of a move.

Nice.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2010, 05:04 PM

I'll believe it when I see it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 8, 2010, 05:07 PM

Wise words.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2010, 05:08 PM

If these are actual ports and not WINE or Cider, this could only not be a Gabe Newell decision. Given his past remarks, I have a hard time believing Gabe Newell had anything to do with this.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2010, 05:10 PM

AppleInsider | Valve, Apple worked closely to bring Steam natively to Mac

Will existing Steam users have to re-purchase games for the Mac if they already own them for PC?

Cook: We are using a featured called "Steam Play" which will allow Mac gamers to play against PC gamers and -- for our games and any of our partners who are interested in using the feature -- be able to obtain any game they purchase on either system without the need to purchase two copies. So, for example, if you already own Left 4 Dead 2 on the PC you won't need to purchase it again for the Mac.
@Jawbone54, I agree. From the articles I've read about Gabe Newell's opinions on the Mac, I am genuinely shocked that Steam is coming over to OS X.
I am not too excited since I never play games on my Mac, but it's still great news.

I especially like that they're doing it correctly by not forcing people to repurchase the games, and that OS X can play multiplayer with Windows.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2010, 05:31 PM

I wonder if it'll coincide with the 10.6.3 update, which is supposed to address OpenGL performance. I can see a lot of Mac users trying it out, then going back to Windows anyway because of crummy performance.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2010, 05:48 PM

Just in time for HL3?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2010, 06:06 PM

I wonder if it'll coincide with the 10.6.3 update, which is supposed to address OpenGL performance. I can see a lot of Mac users trying it out, then going back to Windows anyway because of crummy performance.
Doubtful. I have a bootcamp partition solely for Steam games right now. As soon as this comes out that partition is gone, even if the Mac version of TF2 is 5fps slower. Freeing up that 60 gig partition is way more important to me.

I'm really hoping that with Blizzard and now Valve both fully supporting Mac that Bioware will reconsider putting Star Wars: The Old Republic on the Mac.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2010, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
This says a lot about the ever-growing popularity of Mac OSX. I guess Valve believes enough people are buying Macs these days to justify this kind of a move.
Or maybe PC gaming really is in decline, and Valve is looking for new sources of revenue.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2010, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
From the AppleInsider article:
The Steam client and native implementations of our games will ship in April. We expect a number of third parties will release their games at the same time. Each game will have its own performance requirements in terms of CPUs, memory, and graphics and we expect they will be comparable to running on Windows. The Steam client itself is very lightweight.
Can I call 'em or what?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2010, 09:12 PM

Or maybe PC gaming really is in decline, and Valve is looking for new sources of revenue.
...and yet that does indicate they felt potential revenue from the Mac audience was enough to warrant such a move.

Your point is definitely valid though. PC gaming is dying a slow death, and I'm afraid all the Diggers out there who rip companies for implementing DRM are ignoring the fact that piracy really has crushed the cash flow of a lot of PC game developers.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2010, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
...and yet that does indicate they felt potential revenue from the Mac audience was enough to warrant such a move.

Your point is definitely valid though. PC gaming is dying a slow death, and I'm afraid all the Diggers out there who rip companies for implementing DRM are ignoring the fact that piracy really has crushed the cash flow of a lot of PC game developers.
Isn't piracy much less of a problem for Steam games?

Also, Ubisoft can close up shop for all I care after their latest DRM crap.

P
Mar 9, 2010, 05:53 AM

If these are actual ports and not WINE or Cider, this could only not be a Gabe Newell decision. Given his past remarks, I have a hard time believing Gabe Newell had anything to do with this.
That was my immediate reaction as well, but then I started googling it and found some newer quotes. He really toned it down in later years, even recommending XP users to go Mac rather than going to Vista. There also lots of quotes about Valve needing a few things fixed in the OS to really be able to work with OS X and being frustrated with Apple for not fixing them - maybe they got that with 10.6 and the last few details with 10.6.3?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2010, 01:53 AM

Man, you really don't like Gabe Newell.

Did he steal your lunch money or something? Maybe scuff up your new Huffy Bike? Hit on your younger sister in High School?

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2010, 01:31 PM

Show us on the doll where he gave you a bad touch.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 10, 2010, 01:32 PM

When olePigeon doesn't like something, he fully commits.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2010, 02:03 PM

I don't get why this is a big deal since Apple went Intel. Aren't you a reboot away from playing any windows game natively with no speed/visual hit?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2010, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
I don't get why this is a big deal since Apple went Intel. Aren't you a reboot away from playing any windows game natively with no speed/visual hit?
Yes, but I definitely do it less often than I would if it was just a few clicks away.

Plus, having a partition just for games on a small SSD drive is no fun. I need that space for porn, not Windows.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2010, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Yes, but I definitely do it less often than I would if it was just a few clicks away.

Plus, having a partition just for games on a small SSD drive is no fun. I need that space for porn, not Windows.
Get an external drive either for your porn or your Windows junk.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2010, 03:54 PM

Get an external drive either for your porn or your Windows junk.
Because that's LESS annoying than the current setup?

ibook_steve
Mar 10, 2010, 04:01 PM

Agree with others. Rebooting is a huge pain with the number of apps and browser tabs I always have open. If I want to fire up a game, I don't want to go through that. I did purchase the Orange Box last year through Steam ($10 special) that I've played maybe once or twice. Now with Steam Play, I'll certainly get back into it.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2010, 04:43 PM

Because that's LESS annoying than the current setup?
Beats not having the option and no game at all though now doesn't it?

So the big announcement is "less annoying way to play". Sadly I hope you all know this also means the Mac Port will be inferior in every way too. It always is even when they try.

If the framerate or textures drop it might be worth that reboot afterall.

P
Mar 10, 2010, 05:15 PM

Can I suggest that we wait until the games launch before we start complaining about the framerate? It seems that what they've done is make Source work using OpenGL, not by wrapping DirectX. That's already better than many ports.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2010, 02:29 AM

Sadly I hope you all know this also means the Mac Port will be inferior in every way too. It always is even when they try.
Nonsense. Many ports are of excellent quality. As an Unreal aficionado, I assure you both Mac and PC versions of UT and UT2004 were equal.

The crappy ports are the ones that give you a "set up" screen in Aqua where you can change resolution, keyboard layout, and other crap, and then don't let you change them in the game interface. The Force Unleashed, ported by Aspyr, is just like that. I seem to recall a Tomb Raider game just like that too. Having to restart a game to change personal options is beyond stupid.
It is a real hassle to reboot, and I don't want spend $200+ just to play games; better to buy a console with that money. I'm still using the Win7 release candidate, and when it expires, my bootcamp partition is gone.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2010, 10:40 AM

I need that space for porn, not Windows.
They're not the same thing?
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 11, 2010, 10:49 AM

He said porn, not viruses.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2010, 01:09 PM

It is a real hassle to reboot, and I don't want spend $200+ just to play games; better to buy a console with that money. I'm still using the Win7 release candidate, and when it expires, my bootcamp partition is gone.
Somehow I get the feeling you don't "Buy" said PC games in the first place.

Forum Links
Forum Rules