Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > new MBP on the way... Apple overdelivers

new MBP on the way... Apple overdelivers
danfisher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2010, 03:39 PM

yesterday was my birthday... i slept in a bit and decided to do a bit of work before i started a long day of celebrating one year closer to mediocrity. long story short, managed to spill coffee on my 15" MBP not once but twice.

it didn't turn out so well. after 20 minutes of cursing and throwing things around down in my office, i emerged to tell my wife i was ok... stupid... but ok. she comforted me and reminded me that i'd been planting the seeds that i'd need a new computer soon anyway. i'm a DJ and i use software as part of my performance. I also run a business online so i rely on my computer for alot.

i decided to move up to the 17" i5. i started out looking a modest 15" but managed to talk myself up a hundred dollars at a time until i was pretty much at the top of the heap. "its a business expense" i told myself... plus i figured since i stare at the thing all day long, i might as well invest in a larger screen and the high-res. it'll be quite a step up for me. it'll have about 4x as much ram and the processor and hd are significant improvements as well. my last one served me well for 4 years or so and owes me nothing at this point. besides, once the new one comes in, i'll enjoy taking the old one apart and cleaning it up. i'll see if i can get it running again. i'll probably be hanging around here a bunch.

one last thing, i ordered the new computer this morning. got an order confirmation saying it'd be delivered by 7/22. got another email this afternoon.. shipped today. arriving tomorrow. sweet. over-delivering is a rare thing these days.
geek qualifications include:

MacBook Pro, 17", 2.53ghz i5, 4g RAM, 500g HD, Glossy HD Screen
MacBook Pro, 15", 2.16ghz, 1g RAM, 100g HD, Matte Screen
iPhone 4, Black, 32g, BestSkinsEver Total Body Skin

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2010, 11:35 PM

Well, I think you'll find "Happy Birthday"s even sweeter soon - even if a couple days late!

Thanks for "giving me ideas" about my aging powerbook
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

danfisher  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2010, 04:54 PM

haha.. i'm typing on the beautiful black keys of my new MBP and it's dawned on me... if my car and MBP both died on the same day, no question- i would replace the MBP!

work of art.
geek qualifications include:

MacBook Pro, 17", 2.53ghz i5, 4g RAM, 500g HD, Glossy HD Screen
MacBook Pro, 15", 2.16ghz, 1g RAM, 100g HD, Matte Screen
iPhone 4, Black, 32g, BestSkinsEver Total Body Skin

tobster
Senior User
Jul 22, 2010, 06:49 PM

I feel'ya...

I have a similar experience here. Went to a MacBook Pro i7 17" with an upgraded hard drive and max ram.

... coming from a PowerBook G4 1,5ghz with 2GB ram, 80GB hard drive and 15" of unimpressive screen estate.

Man I'm happy I talked myself up the dollar ladder to the 17".

t.

Forum Links
Forum Rules