Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Film Competition > Old Film Comp (archive) > Wilshire Blvd. - #2

Wilshire Blvd. - #2
sdchef
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2002, 12:43 AM

"Wilshire Blvd." is a montage of a watercolor and a lithograph done by my father in the late 1940s, and live footage of the Los Angeles street filmed by my daughter. It is set to Brian Wilson's "Long Promised Road" performed by the Beach Boys. http://homepage.mac.com/sdchef
I am having a devil of a time getting my movie onto a page that is viewable.
It is on iDisk but for some reason iTools flakes out on me as I try to edit the home page. I can't even view my site. Perhaps someone else will have luck or give me a hint as to what I am doing wrong.
wilshire.mov
fatmac->macplus->P550->280c->PM7250->Yosemite->iMac800-> Intel iMac 2gig

sdchef  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2002, 12:00 PM

So now I can view the page but the .mov is a broken link. I'm getting closer...

sdchef  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2002, 10:27 AM

Finally got it up and working... no help from iTools
Wilshire Blvd. is available for you to cruise.
http://homepage.mac.com/sdchef

[ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: sdchef ]

[ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: sdchef ]

Demonhood
Administrator
Jan 15, 2002, 03:14 AM

entry up.

you might want to increase the size of the font in your movie. or make it a bit lighter so that it's easier to see.

sdchef  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2002, 10:47 AM

I had hoped to make the entry itself larger so I would not have to change the titles. However the next size up in quality and size jumped the video to 39M and I didn't have room on a site for that. I'm new to compression, all the films I make go to VCD for viewing on TV (and those are blocky/digital)
If you have a tip for compressing but retaining size I would appreciate the help. I am working with iMovie 2 and quicktime 5.

sdchef  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2002, 09:28 PM

CRIT PLEASE_
I really need to learn more about compression. I was never happy with my entry on the net vs. either DVD or DV tape on a TV (not like I had a chance w/ space cowboy and monophobe in my category - congrats)

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 26, 2002, 09:44 PM

I don't know quite what to tell you about compression, but I did want to tell you that I loved the watercolor/live action combination.

It's not something you could employ in quite the same way in a non-music video, but I really liked the technique.

It almost feels like something that would have worked in "Waking Life" by Linklater, only yours is less dizzying. Thank you for that.

You made some very tasteful choices both for the watercolor, and for the live action. It's the sort of thing that's easy to critique when non-tasteful choices are made, but when they're all well chosen, it's hard to narrow down what to focus on.

I guess I wished there'd been more of a thread tying the piece together- the watercolors and footage fit well, but they don't communicate much- it would be a nice interlude in a larger work.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

sdchef  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2002, 11:31 PM

Originally posted by vmarks:
<STRONG>
I guess I wished there'd been more of a thread tying the piece together- the watercolors and footage fit well, but they don't communicate much- it would be a nice interlude in a larger work.</STRONG>
I actually have had in mind a documentary on California using my fathers art work and live action. He traveled up and down the coast doing lithos, sketches and watercolors.
I am grateful for the critique. Makes me sure I am aiming in the right direction.

Forum Links
Forum Rules