Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Piece of crap OSX

Piece of crap OSX
KellyHogan
Banned
Location: The Breakaway Democratic Banana Republic of Jakichanistan.
May 13, 2002, 03:30 PM

Yep, OSX has fallen over again.

For the last two weeks I have only used my iMac for charging my iPod and typing my daily income, commission and bonuses. I haven't had time for anything else on that system. I put the system into sleep mode when not using it.

Well, over time I find that sleep mode leads to various little corruptions which soon add up. I woke my iMac today from sleep to type my figures into a document. Word X took 30 seconds to respond. I then clicked on Top Calculette Pro to do my sums and all I got was spinning wheel (soon to be an Aqua blob I hear, how nice). I could not use the app. So I then clicked on Apple's Calculator.app. It started but I could not use it. Just watched the spinning wheel.

So I decided to reboot. It got as far as a blue screen and cursor after the boot sequence. One more boot and this time it worked but took quite a while. Word launched a bit slow and Top Calculette was slow too. But I've been using XP on a Athlon 2000+ for two weeks so obviously app launch times get confusing when you use Word on one OS and then another.

I know sleep mode causes corruptions on just about every OS so far but honestly, someone fix this.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2002, 03:44 PM

Blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blahblah blah blah blah! Blah blah blahblah blahblahblah blah!

Blah blah blah? Blah blah blaah blah blah. Blah!

Blah.

mbryda
Senior User
May 13, 2002, 03:47 PM

Originally posted by KellyHogan:
<STRONG>Yep, OSX has fallen over again.
Well, over time I find that sleep mode leads to various little corruptions which soon add up. I woke my iMac today from sleep to type my figures into a document. Word X took 30 seconds to respond. I then clicked on Top
...snip...

been using XP on a Athlon 2000+ for two weeks so obviously app launch times get confusing when you use Word on one OS and then another.

I know sleep mode causes corruptions on just about every OS so far but honestly, someone fix this.</STRONG>
Funny, I've been sleeping my new iMac for 12 days now and no corruptions. Nothing - it just works.

Also found launch times to be about the same for Word on most hardware (Duron 700, AthlonXP 1800+, Pee3 1.3, etc.) Actually, the app launch times are about the same on every relatively modern PC I've used. It's one thing that never impresses me about PC's.

-Matt

PS: If you hate Apple and love your Athlon box so much, sell the Apples. Please, do us all a favor.

KellyHogan  (op)
Banned
May 13, 2002, 03:49 PM

Originally posted by mbryda:
<STRONG>

PS: If you hate Apple and love your Athlon box so much, sell the Apples. Please, do us all a favor.</STRONG>
OK.

snerdini
Senior User
May 13, 2002, 03:51 PM

i agree. you obviously hate osx and the direction that apple is going...just sell your macs and dedicate yourself full time to microsoft. you always compare everything in osx to something in xp anyway, telling us how much better it is in xp. seriously, nobody cares what you have to say anymore.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2002, 03:51 PM

I had my TiBook in and out of sleep mode under X for 47 days. What seemingly killed it was that I turned my file server off which freaked out Sharity, so instead of responding back in a reasonable amount of time that it couldn't find the server, it loked up my TiBook.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2002, 03:53 PM

OK.
Oh if only this were true! What a glorious day it would be in the MacNN Forums!

Oh well...

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
May 13, 2002, 03:53 PM

My iBook sleeps a lot. It doesn't ever get shut down, it just sleeps. I don't ever think twice about it and I've never had corruption as a result.

I don't put my desktop to sleep very often so I couldn't confirm or deny that it would make a difference. Somehow I doubt it, though.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2002, 03:56 PM

karbon
Dedicated MacNNer
May 13, 2002, 03:58 PM

<STRONG>
I know sleep mode causes corruptions on just about every OS so far but honestly, someone fix this.</STRONG>
Sleep mode causes corruptions? Either you are doing something really stupid, or your iMac is screwed (my bet is on the first one). Sleep is not supposed to cause corruptions, and by the word corruption we are not talking about "oh, my machine just got a little slower. buhu.. I have to reboot now. what a disaster OS!!".

Seriously, I am getting really tired of you KellyHogan. All you do is complain, complain and did I mention complain? Do you ever have time to do something productive at all on your appearantly fresh line of computers? Or are you just searching for new things that you can come to these forums and whine about?

You don't have to answer my post. I can't see how it could be beneficial for anyone (just wasting bandwith and time)...
[email protected]
"In the long run we're all dead" - Keynes

KellyHogan  (op)
Banned
May 13, 2002, 03:59 PM

Originally posted by ::maroma:::
<STRONG>

Oh if only this were true! What a glorious day it would be in the MacNN Forums!

Oh well...</STRONG>
Hee hee. According to the law of evolution Apple is a dying company and the direction they are taking, shutting out half their users every 12 months, is not winning them much fans.

When they shut out your latest Mac next year I hope you realize what a doofus you were not to petition them to support their machines properly. Wait until G5 comes out, Quartz Extreme II will eat it in no time (Apple will make sure of that) and the G4 will be dead no matter how capable.

Then after the summer watch how QE will eat up so many resources that Open GL apps will slow to a crawl.

KellyHogan  (op)
Banned
May 13, 2002, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
<STRONG> </STRONG>
Quite cool. Buy Macs, OSX is crap, get an award!

KellyHogan  (op)
Banned
May 13, 2002, 04:02 PM

Originally posted by karbon:
<STRONG>

Sleep mode causes corruptions? Either you are doing something really stupid, or your iMac is screwed (my bet is on the first one). Sleep is not supposed to cause corruptions, and by the word corruption we are not talking about "oh, my machine just got a little slower. buhu.. I have to reboot now. what a disaster OS!!".

</STRONG>
I like what you just said. 'My machine just got a LITTLE slower'. **** , I have to watch a spinning wheel for five minutes in order to use a calculator. Haha.....gulp...cough.

McKenna
May 13, 2002, 04:02 PM

Current uptime: 11 days, 2 hours, 9 minutes.

Did you hear something? Oh, no that was the sound of hot air whooshing by...

--Tom

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
May 13, 2002, 04:04 PM

So honestly, why are you using a Mac if its giving you so much trouble? Esp. OS X. I don't think anyone in the world had as much problems as you claim to have.

KellyHogan  (op)
Banned
May 13, 2002, 04:06 PM

Originally posted by KaptainKaya:
<STRONG>So honestly, why are you using a Mac if its giving you so much trouble? Esp. OS X. I don't think anyone in the world had as much problems as you claim to have.</STRONG>
They keep telling me all the bugs will be gone when the clock hits 12 o'clock. Trouble is that OSX can't remember its settings so the clock keeps going back to 6 o'clock!

KellyHogan  (op)
Banned
May 13, 2002, 04:08 PM

Originally posted by McKenna:
<STRONG>Current uptime: 11 days, 2 hours, 9 minutes.

Did you hear something? Oh, no that was the sound of hot air whooshing by...

--Tom</STRONG>
That's lame. My uptime was about a month.

karbon
Dedicated MacNNer
May 13, 2002, 04:10 PM

<STRONG>

I like what you just said. 'My machine just got a LITTLE slower'. **** , I have to watch a spinning wheel for five minutes in order to use a calculator. Haha.....gulp...cough.</STRONG>
First of all, I don't know why I'm replying to this, but it's kind of fun and I don't have much else to do right now.

You seem like a really complex and wierd person KellyHogan. You whine and cry for days, weeks, even months but still continue to use OS X, so there must be something that you like or prefer over the fantastic WinXP which you are describing. Secondly I have a feeling that you are not only a troll, but a very cynical and well-thought-out troll. You like to complain, just to see how the users here react. And I understand that, it's fun, up to a certain point. After 2000 posts, you must clearly have another reason than just pure "fun" for doing this.

So that leads me to, who are you, really? What do you do, and why in the world are you still using OS X?
[email protected]

McKenna
May 13, 2002, 04:13 PM

Blah, blah, blah-bity, blah...

Try restarting your computer once in a while, dumbass...

--Tom

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
May 13, 2002, 04:14 PM

So your uptime was about a month. And yet you b*itch about OS X to no end. What caused it to end after a month? Did you get fed up that it was lasting more than the XP machine? Or was it something relavant to the OS?

Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2002, 04:15 PM

Hee hee. According to the law of evolution Apple is a dying company and the direction they are taking, shutting out half their users every 12 months, is not winning them much fans.

When they shut out your latest Mac next year I hope you realize what a doofus you were not to petition them to support their machines properly. Wait until G5 comes out, Quartz Extreme II will eat it in no time (Apple will make sure of that) and the G4 will be dead no matter how capable.

Then after the summer watch how QE will eat up so many resources that Open GL apps will slow to a crawl.
WOW! If that wasn't the biggest load of crap you've ever posted! Whoo! That post alone shows that you are full of poop, and that you have absolutely NO idea what you are talking about.

I used to think that you were actually a somewhat intelligent person, but just a little miffed at Apple for troubles you've been experiencing. But lately you've so eloquently proved me wrong. I now know what everyone else here knows, you are a complete tool. You spew out garbage from your pie hole, gobble it back up, and spew it out again so that we all get a taste of it.

You truely deserve the "Most Professional Troll" award!

(now...if you can only find a way to make money off of your total disregard for reality....BWWHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAAAAaaaaa!!)

KellyHogan  (op)
Banned
May 13, 2002, 04:20 PM

<STRONG>

why in the world are you still using OS X?</STRONG>
Font anti-aliasing and the design of my iMac. Those two things are the only good points I can think of.

KellyHogan  (op)
Banned
May 13, 2002, 04:22 PM

<STRONG>So your uptime was about a month. And yet you b*itch about OS X to no end. What caused it to end after a month? Did you get fed up that it was lasting more than the XP machine? Or was it something relavant to the OS?</STRONG>
Huh? So what if it was up for a month? It was still **** slow when using it. More uptime than my Athlon? Sure, I shutdown the Athlon because it boots up in 20 seconds so why not?

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
May 13, 2002, 04:22 PM

Why didn't you wait 6 months for Gateway or another company to copy the design? That way you could have design AND XP all in one.

Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2002, 04:24 PM

So that leads me to, who are you, really? What do you do, and why in the world are you still using OS X?
Those are great questions that have been asked millions of times before. You wont get a straight answer from him, because that would give him away. He wants to remain the way he is because he's actually found a place where he will get a reaction from his banter. I'm willing to wager that in the 'real world', he is socially inept, and doesn't have many friends. He uses places like this to make up for his social inadequacies. Someone with that many posts about one thing, and one thing only (complaints about Macs), can only mean that this is very important to him. He values this. He also spends a lot of time doing it.

I honestly think that the only way that anyone here can help him out, is to kick him off of the MacNN Forums. Yes, I know that would be very fascist or whatever, but I really do think that this is the only way he'll get off this train. He's here for the long haul. Just check his post count. He's not going away. And his stench will continue to linger.

karbon
Dedicated MacNNer
May 13, 2002, 04:26 PM

<STRONG>

Font anti-aliasing and the design of my iMac. Those two things are the only good points I can think of.</STRONG>
I'll take that as a "Yeah, I'm a ****ing troll, and I can't help myself" reply to my question...
[email protected]

KellyHogan  (op)
Banned
May 13, 2002, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by McKenna:
<STRONG>Blah, blah, blah-bity, blah...

Try restarting your computer once in a while, dumbass...

--Tom</STRONG>
Oh, I see....ahem...uptimes.

KellyHogan  (op)
Banned
May 13, 2002, 04:30 PM

<STRONG>Why didn't you wait 6 months for Gateway or another company to copy the design? </STRONG>
Because Gateway is shite and I like to build the machine myself with my own choice of hardware new and second hand.

foamy
Senior User
May 13, 2002, 04:31 PM

So if they are losing half of their users every year and they have 10,000,000 users (I have no idea what the real number is), then :

2002 10,000,000 Users
2003 5,000,000
2004 2,500,000
2005 1,250,000
2006 625,000
2007 312,500
2008 156,250
2009 78,125
2010 39,063 &lt;-- G5 debuts
2011 19,531
2012 9766
2013 4883
2014 2441
2015 1221
2016 610
2017 305
2018 153
2019 76
2020 38
2021 19
2022 10
2023 5
2024 3 (You, Steve, and Avie)
2025 1 YOU
2026... finally! The death of the beleagured computer company, aka Apple.

So in 2024 you will be one of three users on macnn and will still be beeyotching to Avie and Steve how crappy OSXX is and how you are going to switch over to WindowsXXIVP.

[ 05-13-2002: Message edited by: foamy ]

webb3201
Senior User

My current uptime is 65 days and some change....I have been holding off on OSX updates to get to my magic 90 day number. The last restart was for a system update. Machine runs like a top and just keeps on working.

As to Apple cutting customer base in half every twelve months, you assume they are attracting no new customers with the new OS. My anecdotal evidence (which I assume is what you are citing on the loss statistics) supports the thought that a large group of new customers are coming in through the Unix front door.

Apple had to make some difficult choices to compete in the OS arena. Many users are unhappy as they really love the classic OS (I did too). Others are unhappy that hardware requirements are steep (that is the price for new OSs, look at the XP requirements). Apple is taking steps to assure they are still in business tomorrow by bringing out innovation in product and OS.

Kevin
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

Nonsuch
Professional Poster

I've gone past annoyance and out the other side. Kelly, you go right ahead and keep posting. You're the MacNN equivalent of the Bumblebee Man on the Simpsons: "Ay, mi computadora portable nueva! No me gusta!' (PowerBook explodes) Perfiero Windows!" A truly unique and endless source of amusement.

Please continue to have unusual and inexplicable problems with your brand-new Apple hardware, and inform us about each and every one. Do not cease to insist you know better than some of the most experienced and talented hardware and software engineers in the industry. And by all means, never stop portending doom and humiliation to all us suckers, apologists, asskissers, and doofuses (doofi?). I want to see that post counter hit 5,000 by MWNY.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

lookmark
Mac Elite
May 13, 2002, 04:33 PM

<STRONG>
You seem like a really complex and wierd person KellyHogan.</STRONG>
More like complexly weird. And definitely tiresome and exaggerated.

Why everyone here feels obliged to burst into activity at Kelly's outbursts is a little puzzling.

McKenna
May 13, 2002, 04:39 PM

I once created a page for April Fool's Day for the bit-, I mean complainers. It was parody of a Mac news site that was/is known for its complainers. Click here.

Anyone up for making a Mac troll page?

--Tom

[ 05-13-2002: Message edited by: McKenna ]

ReggieX
Professional Poster
May 13, 2002, 04:41 PM

<STRONG>Oh, I see....ahem...uptimes.</STRONG>
Why so bloody concerned about your damn uptimes?
Should I post my Load Averages and vmstat readouts so we can all compare those too?

I HAVE to reboot into 9 for a number of tasks, it's not like I cringe in fear every time I do it (around twice a week). Whoop de fricken do.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

KellyHogan  (op)
Banned
May 13, 2002, 04:42 PM

Originally posted by lookmark:
<STRONG>

Why everyone here feels obliged to burst into activity at Kelly's outbursts is a little puzzling.</STRONG>
They need attention (by claiming I need attention).

Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2002, 04:48 PM

They need attention (by claiming I need attention).
Wrong.

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
May 13, 2002, 04:53 PM

This has degenerated into a flame war.

[ 05-13-2002: Message edited by: gorgonzola ]
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Forum Links
Forum Rules