Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Film Competition > Old Film Comp (archive) > Hours Past The Midnight Streak

Hours Past The Midnight Streak
urbanmastermind
Nov 17, 2001, 07:35 PM

This is a project that I shot today exclusively for the MacNN film fest. It is an idea I have been playing with for some time but never had an excuse to make until today. I used Final Cut Pro and Adobe Photoshop on my 500Mhz G4.

I shot the footage myself, in my room, with a Canon GL1. The first piece of music is from the film American Beauty and the second piece of muisc is titled, "God Moving Over The Face Of The Waters" by Moby. All other work is original.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hours Past the Midnight Streak" is a view inside the mind of an insomniac. The film takes you through the ups and downs of the issues that many people across the world face night in and night out after the world goes to bed.

"Hours Past the Midnight Streak"
Evan Cook, 17
Minneapolis, MN
Urban Mastermind Productions (http://www.urbanmastermind.com/)
"Hours Past the Midnight Streak"

spauldingg
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 18, 2001, 10:55 AM

wow.
“The love of liberty is the love of others; the love of power is the love of ourselves.” -- William Hazlitt

Demonhood
Administrator
Nov 19, 2001, 12:00 AM

your entry is up.

can you make a lower quality version for people over modems? something in the

[ 11-26-2001: Message edited by: Demonhood ]

icanadian
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2001, 01:02 AM

Hey

Some nice ideas, the shot through the bubble thing was great!
Congats.
This space for rent.

jwardell
Forum Regular
Nov 19, 2001, 04:07 AM

I think this is incredible. Like one of those ejoyable shorts you find on a Short Cinema Journal DVD. But I am completely amazed that you did that all in one day!

urbanmastermind  (op)
Nov 19, 2001, 08:12 PM

Thanks for all the great compliments. It's tough only being 17 and not knowing what you're going up against in the world of film .

How does 22.9 Mb sound for a smaller file? It's a tough trade-off with the whole Voice-Over cause I don't want it to loose it's integrity through sound codec.

The dimensions would be 180 x 135... Get back to me with some more feedback.

peace, Evan

Jourdan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2001, 08:07 PM

Evan,
I rather enjoyed your film. The soft feel of the film actually made it seem as if you were sitting in the mind of an insomniac. The black and white appearance of the film is quite enjoyable. I always enjoy a black and white film, brings me back to the first Eisenstein film I ever saw(BattleShip Potemkin) if you have never seen. Anyhow exellent job. Hope to see more films from you and your crew. Take care.
"Do or do not, there is no try"
Jedi Master Yoda
AKA Get off your ass and make that film you have been planning on for how many years?

urbanmastermind  (op)
Nov 24, 2001, 01:48 PM

Thanks Jourdan and everyone else for your feedback... My server is fixed so 'Hours' can now be downloaded again . Also, I will be uploading a 22.9 mb version tonight if you want to wait for that

Until then, keep up the good work everyone.

peace,
Evan

urbanmastermind  (op)
Nov 25, 2001, 07:57 PM

22 Mb version up.

Sorry it's not tiny, but it's better.

I don't want to loose audio quality because of the narratives importance to the understanding of the story.

'Hours Past the Midnight Streak' 22.9 MB

Demonhood
Administrator
Nov 26, 2001, 11:35 PM

medium quality link added.

urbanmastermind  (op)
Nov 26, 2001, 11:40 PM

beeeeeaaaaaaauuuuuuuutifulll... thanks again bro....

urbanmastermind  (op)
Feb 1, 2002, 12:18 AM

Hey,

I hope this isn't a huge issue, but my server will be down until around 7 Central Standard Time tomorrow so I have nowhere to host my film till then.

I hope this is okay, if not I can upload it somewhere else if you want. I'm down for whatever... Thanks again for everything!

Evan

EDIT: back-up over MacNN's downtime.. peace

[ 02-02-2002: Message edited by: urbanmastermind ]

tullamore
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2002, 06:30 AM

This was great. I can totally relate look at me I'm up at 4:30 watching movies on MacNN. A couple nights ago I went to HyVee for food at 4Am I was the only there. I love this movie.

urbanmastermind  (op)
Apr 27, 2002, 02:49 PM

CRIT PLEASE

mindwaves
Apr 27, 2002, 08:16 PM

Very very very good. I enjoyed it and learned a lot of stuff which I never knew before (a theoretical situtation I know, but still). The only problem which I had with it is that at the beginning, the lamp looked like a knife with some light shinning on it. Might want to show more of the lamp, but other than that, it was very good.

Forum Links
Forum Rules