Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Film Competition > Old Film Comp (archive) > ***And the winners are....

***And the winners are....
Demonhood
Administrator
Apr 26, 2002, 12:02 PM

Here they are, finally.
The competition was very very close. The lead switched often as each judge reported in. It was pretty tense (as tense as watching an Excel sheet can be). I decided to award prizes (the tshirt) to the top two in each category. So, without further delay, here they are...

Animation
-Exam Anxiety
-CyberMorphis

Computer Related
-Hacker #84
-New iMac Introduction

Miscellaneous
-The Golden Celery
-Hours Past the Midnight Streak

Movie Trailer
-Predator: Dark Jungle
-Werriwa

Music Video
-Space Cowboy
-Monophobe - Pepper Symphony

Many thanks to all that entered, and congrats to the winners. We'll be contacting you (or you could contact us if you're really jonesing for a shirt, either way is cool) about the prizes.

I considered putting honorable mentions for the 3rd and 4th place entries in each category, but the movie trailer category only had 4 entries, so that'd seem kinda...pointless. But hey, if there is enough clamor for it, I'll post that here too.

Also, I haven't spoken to the other judges about this, but I'd be willing to give short critiques of an entry if a participant so desires it. I wouldn't post my score, but I'd go over what I felt about the movie in each of the three categories. If you think this may be useful/helpful, please bump your movie's thread with a post that says "CRIT PLEASE". Because, after all, I hoped this entire thing would be a learning experience for all involved.

Hope everyone had fun making/watching movies during this competition. I'll be working on next year's setup (judging, categories, etc..) for the next few months and I'll keep you guys updated. So if you have any more ideas, just dig up this thread.

{edit - added links to each movie's thread)

[ 04-26-2002: Message edited by: Demonhood ]

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2002, 01:05 PM

Two winners in each category? Isn't that a little like giving two gold medals at the Olympics?

[Edit: Seriously, congrats to all the winners ]

[ 04-26-2002: Message edited by: CaseCom ]

mindwaves
Apr 26, 2002, 01:07 PM

Congrats! I only watched a few of them, but those that I did see were very good. Maybe I will help out next time.

jwardell
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2002, 02:11 PM

Congrats to all the winners, every entry was very good IMO. I hope this gets posted on the front page to give all the macnn visitors one more chance to explore the entries. And yes I'd love a critique (from anyone), I'm just about to start editing this year's video.

sdchef
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2002, 09:18 PM

Congrats to all the winners. very good choices by the the judges.
Sooo....
on to the next competition?
fatmac->macplus->P550->280c->PM7250->Yosemite->iMac800-> Intel iMac 2gig

jasong
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2002, 10:31 PM

Congradulations to the winners, and congradulations to the judges for presenting us with the winners.

-- Jason
-- Jason

realeyz
Apr 28, 2002, 11:19 PM

Apologize if this suggestion has already been made, but why not just have a polling vote next time around with a deadline rather than leaving the judging up to only one or a few individuals.
realeyz imaging
animation | 3D modeling | visual effects | web design | illustration

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Apr 29, 2002, 08:37 PM

Originally posted by realeyz:
<STRONG>Apologize if this suggestion has already been made, but why not just have a polling vote next time around with a deadline rather than leaving the judging up to only one or a few individuals. </STRONG>
We are indeed planning on that. Much better gauge (no offense to the judges).
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 30, 2002, 10:15 AM

Originally posted by gorgonzola:
<STRONG>We are indeed planning on that. Much better gauge (no offense to the judges). </STRONG>
Offense taken.

Seriously, though, just a polling vote isn't good enough either. I liked the idea of members showing interest in voting and then polling to determine the judges. It'd be too possible to "stack the deck" if just anyone could vote. Dial-up users would have the advantage.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2002, 12:10 AM

mb figure out some way to use our Forum Cookie to vote? like the Comments on the news page do...

-Owl

Demonhood  (op)
Administrator
May 1, 2002, 12:35 AM

we now have front page luvin'

please discuss all ideas for next year in this thread

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2002, 12:19 PM

Yay! We won (or got 2nd place I can't really tell)

Yay! yay! Yay!

Thanks judges

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

ZO
Forum Regular
May 1, 2002, 09:40 PM

what? The Mexican Wrestler didn't win anything? Booo... by far one of the funniest

Anyway, great stuff! Thanks for all the trouble of organizing

ZO

Paco500
Professional Poster
May 1, 2002, 11:16 PM

Originally posted by ZO:
<STRONG>what? The Mexican Wrestler didn't win anything? Booo... by far one of the funniest

Anyway, great stuff! Thanks for all the trouble of organizing

ZO</STRONG>
Ditto- if the creators are reading this- know that you brought me great joy.

Paco

Demonhood  (op)
Administrator
May 6, 2002, 10:02 PM

I'll be contacting all the winners within the next few days. I kind of injured myself on Saturday so I've been taking care of that.

If your registered email address bounces, I'll say so in this thread.

Demonhood  (op)
Administrator
May 27, 2002, 05:42 PM

no address bounced, so that's good. t-shirt organizing going smoothly.

*bump* - to make sure that the forum works alright with the new UBB upgrade.

IUJHJSDHE
Mac Elite
May 27, 2002, 07:34 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Demonhood:
<strong>no address bounced, so that's good. t-shirt organizing going smoothly.

*bump* - to make sure that the forum works alright with the new UBB upgrade.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">heh, I was wondering if anyone was gonna post here again

Demonhood  (op)
Administrator
Jun 20, 2002, 09:49 PM

the t-shirt maker has the designs. i'm just in the process of determining how many we need and figuring out the shipping.

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2002, 03:00 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Demonhood:
<strong>the t-shirt maker has the designs. i'm just in the process of determining how many we need and figuring out the shipping.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Can I have one for free?

Forum Links
Forum Rules