Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Just came back from the tanning booth

Just came back from the tanning booth
andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2005, 05:44 PM

Some people really are unbelievably stupid. I just went to the tanning booth where I witnessed the following scene:

A woman, already looking like a leather purse, wanted to have a special cabin. The employee said that this one is occupied and offered another one. The crocodile (obviously knowing the place well) replied something like: "Well, I can't take that one, it stops after 30 minutes."

(I know it sounds and is written like a joke, but I swear it is for real, sadly)
( Last edited by andreas_g4; Dec 5, 2005 at 05:50 PM. )

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2005, 06:07 PM

I love the sun, but stay out of it. I have had some lesions removed that were pretty bad. I have very fair skin and auburn hair and I am always wary of melanoma. My grandfather died of it. People with fair skin, freckles, and red hair are most at risk. But, my son's father has Mediterranean skin (olive) since he is Italian and our son has a lot of moles that constantly need to be watched. So, he got darker skin, but also got moles, and now he needs to be careful. I am constantly watching every single mole and freckle on his little body to make sure he is okay.

Personal faces of melanoma.

Pictures of melanoma

Melanoma metastasizes (spreads) in only 4 months and it is one of the most difficult of cancers to predict or treat. Even after the primary site of origin (where it was found) is removed, years later it may show up in the brain or liver or lungs.

I would never, ever, go to a tanning booth.

As it is I have beautiful skin that I am proud of - it is smooth and soft - and I protect it at all times.

I go in with my 13-year old son, my husband, and we all get a skin check up every 6 months without fail. Even a tiny black dot could be melanoma, an itchy mole, an irregular mole.
( Last edited by Cody Dawg; Dec 5, 2005 at 06:17 PM. )

andreas_g4  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2005, 06:13 PM

I don't think she would get a sunburn even when sitting in the solar corona, judging by her looks.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2005, 06:14 PM

You are very smart Cody. Melanoma is a very serious disease. If caught early it's treatable.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2005, 06:22 PM

I don't understand why people tan anyways. All in the name of vanity? I know we all do things in the name of vanity, but baking oneself to the point where your skin changes pigment is very strange to me. And the risk of skin cancer is just too high.

The best is when I see tanning salons in places like Arizona.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2005, 06:26 PM

Just an FYI?

If any of you out there have a weird looking mole, a mole or a freckle or a spot that just makes you think, "Hmmm..." GET IT REMOVED.

I remember the first time I had a mole removed from my leg. I was in Hawaii and interviewing the head of the dermatology department at the University of Hawaii for the college newspaper.

He noticed a weird lesion on the calf of my leg during the interview and I had it removed. I'm not going to get into my health history, but the point is that it was removed and I am here to talk about it today.

If you visit the melanoma memorial page up above you will see that people had a lesion that they didn't feel quite comfortable with and left it alone...time went by...they found out a little too late that it was melanoma.

If something makes you think, "Hmmm..." GET IT REMOVED. Don't play the "watch and wait and watch" game. Don't take that as an answer from a doctor, "Well, let's watch it." It takes literally 1 minute to remove it, there is no pain, and you may save your own life.

I'm very, very serious about this.

Anyway, so when I went to the clinic there was a beautiful red-headed girl there named Holly. We chatted and talked. She'd come in with a little mole on her tummy that was getting darker and darker and bigger and bigger.

I saw her six months later on accident and she told me that it had indeed been melanoma and that it had spread to her liver. 20 years old and she has the world in the palm of her hands and she also has melanoma and now cancer in her liver.

I went back at my 1-year check up and asked about Holly and was told that she had passed away about 2 months earlier. What a terrible waste.

Just be vigilant and protect your skin, that's all I have to say.

andreas_g4  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2005, 06:28 PM

I go every two weeks or so. I think this is no way near to dangerous and I really look better. I should add that I am bald and it looks terrible when my head skin is sickly.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2005, 06:30 PM

There weren't sun tanning booths when I was growing up. Some of the girls would get a sun tan as soon as possible though. The vanity is more with the young ladies.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

andreas_g4  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2005, 06:34 PM

It is - as so often - a question of the right dose. I like looking well, but I would not call me vain. I like slightly pale looking girls, though…

Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2005, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
Just an FYI?

If any of you out there have a weird looking mole, a mole or a freckle or a spot that just makes you think, "Hmmm..." GET IT REMOVED.

I remember the first time I had a mole removed from my leg. I was in Hawaii and interviewing the head of the dermatology department at the University of Hawaii for the college newspaper.

He noticed a weird lesion on the calf of my leg during the interview and I had it removed. I'm not going to get into my health history, but the point is that it was removed and I am here to talk about it today.
A bit OT, but how was that procedure to get a mole removed? Was it fairly simple, and recovery quick? I have a few that I want to get rid of, and will be going to a doctor early next year when my new health insurance kicks in. I'm hoping that the procedure is quick and easy.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2005, 06:41 PM

It's so simple: A prick with an anesthetic, look away, and you feel a tiny nudge, and it's gone. That's it. Literally, 10 seconds. It's absolutely nothing. There is no blood, no wound to speak of, just quick and painless. It's really worth it.

If a mole is bothering you, looks weird, don't wait for insurance. Get it removed by whatever means possible.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2005, 06:48 PM

Very smart to have your skin checked.

Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2005, 06:49 PM

It's so simple: A prick with an anesthetic, look away, and you feel a tiny nudge, and it's gone. That's it. Literally, 10 seconds. It's absolutely nothing. There is no blood, no wound to speak of, just quick and painless. It's really worth it.

If a mole is bothering you, looks weird, don't wait for insurance. Get it removed by whatever means possible.

Sounds good to me. Unfortunately I can't afford that out of my own pocket, so I'll have to wait a couple months. I actually have a few that I want removed. Hell, I might as well get em all removed if its that easy.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2005, 07:05 PM

Yes, get them all removed. It's that easy.

And that big sigh of relief as you walk out of the office will be REALLY great.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2005, 08:09 PM

I used to go tanning a few weeks before spring break as to not get burninated and thus ruin the trip.

mindwaves
Dec 6, 2005, 01:45 AM

What about the process of removing blackheads? I got some which I would like to remove. Anyone had any removed which they would like to share? Is it as easy as removing a mole?

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 6, 2005, 01:48 AM

thank you mindwaves.

Railroader
Banned
Dec 6, 2005, 02:30 AM

My mother had a medium (golfball) sized malignant melanoma tumor removed from her thigh about a decade ago. She didn't want to get it checked out, but I pestered her every minuite for a few weeks to go to a doctor.

She's been cancer free since.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 6, 2005, 02:40 AM

Cool. Cancer sucks. Good job on being annoying Kilbey. ;P

Railroader
Banned
Dec 6, 2005, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by SuvsareRetarded
Cool. Cancer sucks. Good job on being annoying Kilbey. ;P
She cried with thanks after the doctor declared her cancer free. Your attempt to minimize my caring for my mom is pathetic.

And lastly, please call me Railroader. Although I once went by the nickname "Kilbey" on here, most new people have no idea who you are talking to when you use my old nickname. Haven't I told you this before? "It's like deja-vu all over again" -Y.B.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 6, 2005, 08:39 AM

I don't use tanning salons, and I don't think habitual use of them is a good idea. They produce UV that's not filtered for the "tanning" wavelength, so they put out not only the light that causes tanning, but the light that goes through the skin and damages it. I do not shun the sun, but I get less tan than most people because I have this thing against skin cancer.

Used sparingly a tanning booth can be useful in helping a person feel better about him or herself. Going every couple of weeks is probably more than you need.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2005, 08:51 AM

I get SAD, which is Seasonal Affective Disorder, which is that I get bummed out when the days are dark and dreary day after day after day. I couldn't stay in Seattle for that reason. I was continually making trips down to California to the warm weather and sunlight. In the end, I finally had to move back to Florida.

Anyway, the only reason I could imagine using a tanning booth is if I lived in a very cold and dark place and I was depressed from (SAD) and needed a boost from the UV from the booth.

But, I still think it's too dangerous to use.

Railroader: Wonderful for both you and your mother. GOOD FOR YOU for following up on that.

HUGE

I'm making an appointment today to go in and get another check up for both me and my son. We're due.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 6, 2005, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by andreas_g4
I like slightly pale looking girls, though…
Same here.

I have light skin. But dark brown hair.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2005, 09:04 AM

My father died from melanoma at 46- I am now missing the top half of my left ear due to the same ugly disease. I've been cancer free for more than 2 years however- so it looks pretty good.

Melanoma is a good argument for marriage. Who else but a spouse would notice that a mole on the inside of your ear is starting to look funny?

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2005, 09:11 AM

Paco500: We are very glad that you are still here.

Would you please share with us how you noticed that you had a problem with your ear?

Please be vigilant. I noticed that some people are rather flippant about this disease and disregard it's seriousness. It is nothing to be scoffed at or disregarded. People have a "It won't happen to me," attitude sometimes. Well, there are a lot of people here to say IT CAN AND IT WILL. It's incredibly serious. Click on the top link up there that I posted. Read the stories of the people who died from it. 11 years old, 23 years old, 29 years old, 32 years old, 38 years old, 42 years old...this disease is not to be taken lightly.

Every single time I have a lesion that looks odd or off somehow I go get it removed, period.

Everyone else should also.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2005, 09:50 AM

Would you please share with us how you noticed that you had a problem with your ear?
My wife noticed it and I went to the dermatologist. Actually, I had been meaning to go to the dermatologist for other reasons (I get nasty dry skin around my nose) so I went and had him check it out as an almost after thought.

Even though my father died from it, I wasn't very worried. I don't tan- I've had maybe one real sunburn in my life- I just stay in the shade, always have. My father grew up on the beaches of Florida and his doctors assured me and my brother melanoma was environmental and as long as we stayed out of the sun, we had nothing to fear. Turns out, they were wrong. Apparently there is a much strong link to genetics than they realized at the time.

Please be vigilant
No worries there. I go every three months for a full body scan and have all sorts of blood-work and x-rays done every year, The body scans are always uncomfortable. There is necessarily nudity and manual manipulation of "the junk." I have both male and female doctors do the exams. I'm not sure which gives me the greater heebee-jeebees.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2005, 10:02 AM

Good for you for all of those things.

Don't you feel GREAT knowing that you are taking good care of yourself? And that you saved your life by going in and getting an exam and not just waiting?

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2005, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader
She cried with thanks after the doctor declared her cancer free. Your attempt to minimize my caring for my mom is pathetic.
I didn't read it that way Railroader, but you know him better. I thought he was agreeing with you.

At any rate, my grandfather let a melanoma grow to the size of a softball on his back and no one FORCED him to go to the doctor. Therefore, he's dead. Never knew him- he was 54.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 6, 2005, 10:55 AM

And lastly, please call me Railroader. Although I once went by the nickname "Kilbey" on here, most new people have no idea who you are talking to when you use my old nickname. Haven't I told you this before? "It's like deja-vu all over again" -Y.B.
I wasn't minimizing it. Good job man. My mom had breast cancer a while back, but luckily she caught it early enough to get it taken care of.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2005, 01:01 PM

I just came back from the dermatologist after getting my 4-month check up. This thread inspired me to call for an appointment and they said, "Come in in an hour." What a great guy.

He found one (that I didn't like the looks of either) and he took it off. It was a little very dark brownish/black freckle on my thigh.

I feel a LOT better knowing that doo-dad is gone.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 6, 2005, 01:23 PM

Your thigh huh?

So he gets to look everywhere?

deomacius
Senior User
Dec 6, 2005, 02:05 PM

I have very fair skin and auburn hair...
Cody, auburn? Where were you in our "Red heads" thread?

On a serious note. I've never understood why people insisted on paying for something like a tan. Do they even consider the consequences?

You reap what you sow.

Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2005, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by deomacius
On a serious note. I've never understood why people insisted on paying for something like a tan. Do they even consider the consequences?
Its not even worth asking that question. I mean people pay to smoke cigarettes, go figure.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 6, 2005, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by deomacius
Cody, auburn? Where were you in our "Red heads" thread?

I pay for tanning occasionally. But it's for a reason. I don't like getting sunburned. If I'm going on vacation or going to be someplace that has a lot of sun, I need a base tan.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2005, 06:41 PM

Another case here. I had 3 moles removed while on a trip in Jersey. They were sent to a lab in chicago and I went back in for more serious work. See the first time they skimmed the surface, the next time they used a grapefruit spoon and took chunks out of my arm and back. A couple stitches and everything's fine.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 6, 2005, 07:46 PM

I had an odd looking bump on my face taken off about 18 months ago. It was nothing-overgrowth of cells in that area-but I felt better for having it checked out.

I don't "tan" for tanning's sake, but I like being outdoors, so I take it easy with exposure, use a good (and fresh!) sunblock, and eventually I get a nice tan. I expect my skin to stay skin-like, not leathery, for a good long time because of that.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2005, 02:37 AM

Two days later and I got the biopsy report back on the weird black mole and it was a "dysplastic nevus," or irregular mole.

One thing is for sure though: I'm glad that thing is gone. It was one of those black spots that you peer at, scrutinize, watch week after week, month after month, trying to see if it changes at all.

I'm glad it's gone.

Railroader
Banned
Dec 9, 2005, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by SuvsareRetarded
I pay for tanning occasionally. But it's for a reason. I don't like getting sunburned. If I'm going on vacation or going to be someplace that has a lot of sun, I need a base tan.
Base tan myth.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 9, 2005, 09:34 AM

Didn't say it was healthy. But that way I can go outside without slathering sunblock on all hte time and not get burned.

mindwaves
Jul 18, 2006, 01:30 AM

Any word on the costs of removing these moles? I am getting some removed this Friday and it is going to be pricey. I should have done some more research though on the price, but the guy is a respected cosmetic surgeon (maybe that is why it is so expensive?). Once these are gone and done with, I will research another place to remove some more that I have for hopefully a cheaper price.

euchomai
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2006, 01:40 AM

I wish I was a moderator and could just obliterate any rules the forum might have.

euchomai
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2006, 01:40 AM

Oh, btw, sorry about your moles.

mindwaves
Jul 18, 2006, 01:46 AM

I think that it is relevant and does not warrant its own thread and besides, it is close enough to the 6 months rule.

El Gato
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 18, 2006, 02:03 AM

I just went to a normal doctor's office when I had to have a couple moles removed to have checked for skin cancer. All he did was inject a little local and take a surgical melon baller to 'em.

Seriously. I got melon balled. Then he took the surgical mini-laser and burned the area to form a clot.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 18, 2006, 06:30 AM

Shouldn't health insurance cover removal of potentially threatening moles?

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2006, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by analogika
Shouldn't health insurance cover removal of potentially threatening moles?
Here in the States?!? HA! Not likely.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Monique
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2006, 11:12 AM

My brother worked construction and sun tan when he was young without any kind of protection now he has to worry about moles, he had some removed from his back; my sister sun tan a lot when she was younger and played a lot of outdoor sports with no protection, now she puts on sun tan lotion; she looks older than she should. And now my nieces worship the sun.

I am lilly white, pale, but I do not have to worry about cancer, and I am going to go for a vacation and this year I will put sun tan lotion when I go to the pool like I did when I was on strike last summer.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2006, 11:29 AM

Wait...I thought you were black...

Monique
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2006, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Gossamer
Wait...I thought you were black...
Why is the color of my skin relevant at all. I mentionned it because we are talking about tanning.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2006, 11:58 AM

I guess I made an assumption based on your name. Oops.

Forum Links
Forum Rules