Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The safe city of Toronto

The safe city of Toronto
Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Mar 8, 2006, 06:45 PM

My GF was walking along Toronto's Yonge Street by the Eaton Centre (where the new Apple Store is going to go). She came across two men arguing, and just as she was walking by, one of them pulled a gun on the other guy.

Nice.

She doesn't know what happened after that cuz she promptly ran away into the mall (and told security there).

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2006, 06:52 PM

I thought Toronto came with a 100% safe guarantee?

"Barwaraaawww"

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2006, 07:01 PM

you bet your life it does.

-r.

James L
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2006, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
My GF was walking along Toronto's Yonge Street by the Eaton Centre (where the new Apple Store is going to go). She came across two men arguing, and just as she was walking by, one of them pulled a gun on the other guy.

Nice.

She doesn't know what happened after that cuz she promptly ran away into the mall (and told security there).
No large city is safe... some are just "safer" than others.

Yonge street is not a stranger to this sort of thing:

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/natio...ng-051226.html

I am glad your GF is ok.

Cheers,

James

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2006, 07:04 PM

That's very close to where a young girl got shot on Boxing Day. And a couple of weeks before that one guy shot another in plain view of a security camera. Got caught within minutes, the moron.

For some reason or other that specific area is now attracting gangs. Parts of the Toronto young black community, especially of Jamaican background, have been drifting into gang violence recently. It's likely that this has been fuelled by lack of opportunity in the less salubrious parts of the city.

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2006, 07:41 PM

I lived 5 years around Yonge and Gloucester. 2 murders, 3 fights, and I even saw a guy pushing another one in front of a moving car. I also had a couple having sex 2 feet from my window (I used to live in a semi basement by a parking lot), raccoons doing that as well, and was robbed $20 from my home 7 days before moving to where I live now.

Still, I felt rather safe.
"Criticism is a misconception: we must read not to understand others but to understand ourselves.”

Emile M. Cioran

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2006, 07:49 PM

thats cuz its canada. I had my credit card number stolen the first day I was in toronto. In fact every time I've been anywhere in canada I've had stuff stolen on a daily bases. Im just not used to having to watch all my stuff so closely living here in the US.
( Last edited by el chupacabra; Mar 9, 2006 at 03:01 AM. )

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2006, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by el chupacabra
thats cuz its canada. I had my credit card number stollen the first day I was in toronto. In fact everytime I've been anywhere in canada I've had stuff stolen on a daily bases. Im just not used to having to watch all my stuff so closely living here in the US.

"Barwaraaawww"

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2006, 07:53 PM

thats cuz its canada. I had my credit card number stollen the first day I was in toronto. In fact everytime I've been anywhere in canada I've had stuff stolen on a daily bases. Im just not used to having to watch all my stuff so closely living here in the US.
You definitely fit the profile of a helpless, naive, innocent, victim.
"Criticism is a misconception: we must read not to understand others but to understand ourselves.”

Emile M. Cioran

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2006, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by I Bent My Wookiee
oh my god. no you didnt.

macforray
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 8, 2006, 09:04 PM

Are Canadians allowed to have weapons?
macforray

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2006, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by macforray
Are Canadians allowed to have weapons?
Yeah, but the bullets hurt only 86% as much as American bullets.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2006, 09:43 PM

The Wallet Inspectors only work weekdays. Next time ask them to show their badge!
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Heavy Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 8, 2006, 09:49 PM

I will be near that exact location in about a month for our one year anniversary.
In a barrier free world, who needs Windows™ and Gates?

NYK Ace
Senior User
Mar 8, 2006, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver
Yeah, but the bullets hurt only 86% as much as American bullets.

hahahahhahahha

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2006, 10:56 PM

So my GF called the police after she arrived home to see what happened and to give her statement. It turns out the police had no idea, because the security guards at the mall didn't bother to call. WTF? Somebody pulls a gun and the guy just ignores it?

The other irritating thing is the police didn't seem interested either. Basically they said they didn't need her description because nobody bothered to call it in. Well, hello, she's calling and can give a statement. Ideally, I suppose she should have called the police right then and there, but she didn't probably because she was disturbed by the whole incident, and figured the mall security would do it. Bad assumption I guess.

BTW, there is mini-police station close to there, specifically because in the past there had been trouble in that area. However, I have NEVER seen a policeman patrol that corner and I have lived in downtown for 12 years. Just WTF are they doing?

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2006, 11:04 PM

BTW, there is mini-police station close to there, specifically because in the past there had been trouble in that area. However, I have NEVER seen a policeman patrol that corner and I have lived in downtown for 12 years. Just WTF are they doing?
Is there one of these nearby (www.timhortons.com)? I betcha that's where you will find the cops.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2006, 11:07 PM

Heh. Good point. No Tim Hortons there, but I have seen them coming out another coffee shop nearby.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2006, 11:12 PM

It's pretty crazy.

My brother goes to school right there (at Ryerson). I went there for a year as well, but that was 5 years ago – it's gotten a lot worse since then.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

finboy
Mar 9, 2006, 12:08 AM

Nice.

So I guess that gun control stuff is working out OK in Toronto, huh? Wait -- isn't it illegal to pull a gun on someone? I'm no Simey, but I think it's AGAINST THE LAW to do that.

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2006, 03:07 AM

It turns out the police had no idea, because the security guards at the mall didn't bother to call. WTF? Somebody pulls a gun and the guy just ignores it?...

The other irritating thing is the police didn't seem interested either. ...
Yeah stuff like this happens all the time in third world countries... They're used to it.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2006, 03:20 AM

"Look mommy! Why do all those Americans have their little ding-dongs on the table?"

"It's a ritual. They're trying to impress their neighbors."

"Then why is everybody else laughing?"

"..."

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 9, 2006, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by analogika
"Look mommy! Why do all those Americans have their little ding-dongs on the table?"

"..."
I thought you said earlier you weren't an asshole?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2006, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin
I thought you said earlier you weren't an asshole?
Your assessment of this thread?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2006, 08:53 AM

Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 9, 2006, 09:26 AM

Your assessment of this thread?
Well then I guess every American bashing thread can fall under the same assessment.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2006, 09:41 AM

(must remember to get those fanboi cards designed...)

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2006, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy
Indeed. That's why I posted the title the way I did.

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 9, 2006, 09:51 AM

(must remember to get those fanboi cards designed...)
I didn't think you'd have a valid reply to that.

BTW what I did wasn't being a fan-boy, you obviously don't know what it takes to be one, so stop using words you don't the meanings to
( Last edited by Kevin; Mar 10, 2006 at 08:31 AM. )

Binarymix
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2006, 10:11 AM

The sad part is, it's not just the major cities that are having this problem. I live in a town with a population of 90K and within the last 6 months gun violence is skyrocketing. There have been several shootings, and many more gunpoint hold ups.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2006, 12:04 PM

So my GF called the police after she arrived home to see what happened and to give her statement. It turns out the police had no idea, because the security guards at the mall didn't bother to call. WTF? Somebody pulls a gun and the guy just ignores it?

The other irritating thing is the police didn't seem interested either. Basically they said they didn't need her description because nobody bothered to call it in. ...

Only in Canadiana !

Um, no, wait ?

-t

Binarymix
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2006, 12:22 PM

The other irritating thing is the police didn't seem interested either. Basically they said they didn't need her description because nobody bothered to call it in. Well, hello, she's calling and can give a statement. Ideally, I suppose she should have called the police right then and there, but she didn't probably because she was disturbed by the whole incident, and figured the mall security would do it. Bad assumption I guess.

What she should have done was call the police immediately, or find an officer in the mall (they are always there). What was security supposed to do? They don't even carry guns do they? Sure they should have contacted the police, but your gf would have found a quicker resolution if she herself (the witness) had contacted them right away.

Of course it's good that she did what she did, most people would simply shuttle by as fast as they could and go on with their lives.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2006, 12:31 PM

Yeah stuff like this happens all the time in third world countries... They're used to it.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2006, 12:33 PM

"..."
Because the US is the only country that actually has one, and all other countries are pu*****?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2006, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Binarymix
What she should have done was call the police immediately, or find an officer in the mall (they are always there). What was security supposed to do? They don't even carry guns do they? Sure they should have contacted the police, but your gf would have found a quicker resolution if she herself (the witness) had contacted them right away.

Of course it's good that she did what she did, most people would simply shuttle by as fast as they could and go on with their lives.
I agree. In retrospect she should have ideally called right away instead assuming the mall security actually gave a frack. However, when she did call the police later, within the hour, the police were totally uninterested.

P.S. Do the police actually patrol the mall? Cuz I have not seen a policeman in the mall in at least 3 years.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2006, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by MacNStein
Because the US is the only country that actually has one, and all other countries are pu*****?
oh right...duh.-

*slaps forehead...with his penis*

Monique
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2006, 02:09 PM

If there are so many policemen in Toronto; why did 2 people get killed before Christmas when a maniac started shooting his gun on Yonge street.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2006, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Monique
If there are so many policemen in Toronto; why did 2 people get killed before Christmas when a maniac started shooting his gun on Yonge street.
It baffles me, too. They have police, but crime is still happening. Unreal.

[/lala_land]

-t

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2006, 03:18 PM

In this day and age a person has to be careful in any city. Need to make discriminatory decisions for personal safety.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

James L
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2006, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Monique
You are kidding, correct?

I mean, only a complete idiot would think that having a large police force would stop all indiscriminate crime from occurring.

If you had a police officer on every street corner, it would not stop a maniac that is in the middle of the block from pulling a gun and shooting two people.

When a maniac wants to pull out a gun and start randomly shooting, without warning, no one is going to stop him. Sh*t happens.... that's life, and no number of police officers can stop it.

But, you were only kidding, right?

macforray
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2006, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Binarymix
The sad part is, it's not just the major cities that are having this problem. I live in a town with a population of 90K and within the last 6 months gun violence is skyrocketing. There have been several shootings, and many more gunpoint hold ups.
A "town" of 90K? That's not a town...that's a city! I live in a town of 5K. Gun and other violence is to be expected in a population of 90K.

How's that Green Acres song go?....
macforray

Binarymix
Forum Regular
Mar 10, 2006, 02:30 AM

Fine. City. Still rather small for a city with gun violence.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2006, 06:55 AM

The other irritating thing is the police didn't seem interested either. Basically they said they didn't need her description because nobody bothered to call it in.
The police weren't interested b/c she had nothing of value to tell them. She saw somebody pull a gun on somebody else - HOURS AGO. If they were looking for suspects in some crime in that area that happened around that timeframe, that's one thing... But otherwise, what're they gonna do if no-one bothered to call it in when it was happening?

<minor hijack>

We get 911 callers all the time trying to give info, but they don't have any. They don't know where they are... They aren't sure of what they saw, but claim it just didn't look "right." How long ago did it happen, ma'am? "A few hours ago." Well, WTF? This is especially true of car accidents.

911: 911, what is your emergency?
Caller: I was just driving by and saw an accident.
911: Where is the accident?
Caller: I don't know. I'm not from around here.
911: Is anyone hurt?
Caller: I don't know. I didn't stop.

...and so on. Usually you can pin it down by having them tell you what business they're in front of, but that's in my small suburban city. I can't imagine how crazy those calls get in huge cities. And no, most times we can't pin down your 911 cellphone call like in the movies. We just get a general triangulation of what cell tower your signal bounced off of.

</minor hijack>

Not busting on you or your GF, Eug, but in that case, I'm not sure what the police could've done? Send a patrolman to the Eaton Centre hours after this supposed event, where they'd have found nothing.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2006, 08:28 AM

It was under an hour after the incident and she could have provided a description of the two men, what they were wearing, and what they were carrying. (One guy had a video camera.)

To assume that the info will just be useless is not justified. Yeah, it could be useless, but to make that assumption right off the bat without even asking for a description sounds like simple laziness.

Not busting on you or your GF, Eug, but in that case, I'm not sure what the police could've done? Send a patrolman to the Eaton Centre hours after this supposed event, where they'd have found nothing.
Yeah, they probably would have found nothing, but hell, at least they'd have a patrolman at the Eaton Centre. They have a ministation right nearby, and I never see the police in that area, despite the fact there are congregations of people loitering there all the time, and the fact that there has been gunfire there on more than one occasion relatively recently.

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 10, 2006, 08:33 AM

That wasn't his foot in mouth moment though.

He can't claim such a thing for this thread, and not also say the same thing threads bashing America.

Well I mean he COULD, but it would be hypocritical.

thesunisgone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2006, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap
That's very close to where a young girl got shot on Boxing Day. And a couple of weeks before that one guy shot another in plain view of a security camera. Got caught within minutes, the moron.

For some reason or other that specific area is now attracting gangs. Parts of the Toronto young black community, especially of Jamaican background, have been drifting into gang violence recently. It's likely that this has been fuelled by lack of opportunity in the less salubrious parts of the city.
THIS IS THE BIGGEST LIE EVER!

There are many poor people without any "opportunity" who are not criminals and aren't violent. Being poor doesn't make you a criminal or make you more likely to be a criminal.

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2006, 03:11 PM

I have a couple of friends whose car got damaged (parked near the Yonge and Bloor area) by a guy who used his car keys to scratch the paint. They saw a police car, made a signalment of the guy, with description and all that. The police told them they should have knocked the guy around and punch him in the belly a couple of times, that they have a right to fight back. That was really unexpected a response from people who are supposed to preserve the peace.

I am starting to think we should have a militia and defend ourselves from the bad guys and the police.

Emile M. Cioran

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2006, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by thesunisgone
THIS IS THE BIGGEST LIE EVER!

There are many poor people without any "opportunity" who are not criminals and aren't violent. Being poor doesn't make you a criminal or make you more likely to be a criminal.
That's a stupid and irrelevant argument, and you missed the whole point of what he said.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Rolling Bones
Banned
Mar 13, 2006, 12:03 PM

Yeah, like where Macinstein lives.

Rolling Bones
Banned
Mar 13, 2006, 12:05 PM

Are you really that stupid?

Forum Links
Forum Rules