Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Student Merom iMac

Student Merom iMac
megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 5, 2006, 06:12 PM

A couple of questions:

1 - To get student discount on a Mac, do you need to have started your course already? I start my degree at the end of September this year, but was wanting to buy and get used to a new iMac around a month before, in August. Does an acceptance letter from your university work?

2 - From what little I've read, the Merom processor is due to be released in the second half / third quarter of this year. So, between July - September? What do people reckon Apple will do? Put it in the iMac straight away? Or not update the iMac until next January? Obviously, the current iMac is already a wonderful machine, but since I don't need the computer until I start my course (Computer Science, no less) a shiny new processor and maybe a slightly lower price would be powerfully welcome.

Hey... It just occurred to me... Merom is 64 bit whereas Yonah is 32 bit. Whilst there is a 64 bit version of Windows XP, my friend has actually given up on it, reverted to normal XP on account of lack of drivers and such... I'm guessing Apple will update Boot Camp / Leopard to support 64 bit Windows, so it shouldn't be a problem... My mind wandered, never mind.
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2006, 06:42 PM

1 - Yes; Apple is generally pretty lax about it, but if they ask for proof you can show the acceptance letter.

2 - I expect Apple will bump the MBP to Merom within a few weeks of Intel releasing it, and the iMac to Conroe within a few months of Intel releasing it.

64-bit is mostly meaningless for the MBP and iMac lines, since we won't be seeing 4GB SO-DIMMs for quite a while.

megasad  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 5, 2006, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
2 - I expect Apple will bump the MBP to Merom within a few weeks of Intel releasing it, and the iMac to Conroe within a few months of Intel releasing it.
You think Apple will use Conroes in the iMacs rather than Meroms? I know it's a desktop processor, but the iMac is so thin and tightly packed inside, that I figured they'd stick with the "laptop" components, keep the "desptop" processors for the PowerMacs...

Any particular reason you think they'd take a few months rather than a few weeks?

Originally Posted by mduell
64-bit is mostly meaningless for the MBP and iMac lines, since we won't be seeing 4GB SO-DIMMs for quite a while.
I know, I was speculating purely from a Boot Camp / installing Windows perspective. I don't even know if Windows XP (normal 32 bit version) works on 64 bit processors already, nor do I much care right now. The degree I'm going to be doing requires no Windows specific software, most of the programming being taught in Java. If I do install Windows, it shall be for games...
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2006, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by megasad
You think Apple will use Conroes in the iMacs rather than Meroms? I know it's a desktop processor, but the iMac is so thin and tightly packed inside, that I figured they'd stick with the "laptop" components, keep the "desptop" processors for the PowerMacs...
I think they'll use the lower clocked (and smaller cached) Conroes (1.86/2.13Ghz and 2MB at launch) in the iMacs, so TDP should be fine. Conroe's maximum TDP is 65W, but that's for the 2.67Ghz/4MB version. For reference the final generation of G5 iMacs had ~50W CPUs.

Any particular reason you think they'd take a few months rather than a few weeks?
There's not as much rush to get the new chip into a consumer product as there is with a professional product.

I know, I was speculating purely from a Boot Camp / installing Windows perspective. I don't even know if Windows XP (normal 32 bit version) works on 64 bit processors already, nor do I much care right now.
x86 Windows runs on both AMD's and Intel's x64 chips. Many x64 owners run the x86 version due to driver availabilty.

jasong
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2006, 09:55 PM

If you don't need it now, I would wait to see what happens. However remember that new products tend to have long shipping times, so I wouldn't recommend ordering something you need next day the day it is announced.
-- Jason

Forum Links
Forum Rules