Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > eMac USB port maximum girth?

eMac USB port maximum girth?
megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 31, 2006, 01:51 PM

I've recently given my eMac to my mum and siblings, so I can't check this myself, but they need a USB key thingy and so I just wanted to make sure whether this Kingston one (2.64" x 0.80" x 0.35" (66.9mm x 20.4mm x 9.0mm)) would fit in any of the USB ports on the side.

My iPod shuffle did not, but that was 2.5cm vs 2.04cm wide, so I'm hoping this will fit...

Ideally, if someone could measure the maximum girth of what can be rammed in there, I'd appreciate it.
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

bill k
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2006, 03:56 PM

Center to center I got 13/32", the plastic divider itself is almost 5/32". My calipers don't have a dial or digital numbers so I have to read it the old way, by the marks.
Hope this helps!

megasad  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 2, 2006, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by bill k
Center to center I got 13/32", the plastic divider itself is almost 5/32". My calipers don't have a dial or digital numbers so I have to read it the old way, by the marks.
Hope this helps!
Hoy! Thank you for those measurements, but after converting them into cm I realise they must be the space between the USB ports themselves and that I did a poor job of explaining what I meant in my first post.

What I need to know is how wide of an object can fit inside of the enclave that contains the eMac's ports. The iPod shuffle was just a little bit too wide; when you tried to slot it into the USB port, it would start to go in, but then would push up against the eMac proper and not slot all the way in.

I hope I've explained what I mean clearly enough and would be most obliged if you could provide me with said measurements.
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

EFFENDI
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 2, 2006, 04:24 PM

Simply get them a USB extension cable. Even if they key won't fit you can still use it.
iMac G4 15" 800/512MB/60GB
iMac G5 20" 1.8/768MB/160GB
Mac Mini Core Duo 1.66/2GB/80GB
Mac Pro 2.66/X1900/3GB/3TB /Apple 23" Cinema HD Display

megasad  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 2, 2006, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by EFFENDI
Simply get them a USB extension cable. Even if they key won't fit you can still use it.
Hoy! That is an obvious solution, but (i) I am looking to avoid clutter and (ii) I know that there are USB keys small enough to fit in the side of the eMac, I just don't have either an eMac or one of said keys to hand to mush them together. Plus, measurements are helpful to all!

EFFENDI
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 2, 2006, 05:26 PM

So are alternative options.
iMac G4 15" 800/512MB/60GB
iMac G5 20" 1.8/768MB/160GB
Mac Mini Core Duo 1.66/2GB/80GB
Mac Pro 2.66/X1900/3GB/3TB /Apple 23" Cinema HD Display

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2006, 03:58 AM

Have you tried the usb ports on your keyboard? They are usb 1.1 but i suppose they will do

Will C
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 3, 2006, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by megasad
I've recently given my eMac to my mum and siblings, so I can't check this myself, but they need a USB key thingy and so I just wanted to make sure whether this Kingston one (2.64" x 0.80" x 0.35" (66.9mm x 20.4mm x 9.0mm)) would fit in any of the USB ports on the side.

My iPod shuffle did not, but that was 2.5cm vs 2.04cm wide, so I'm hoping this will fit...

Ideally, if someone could measure the maximum girth of what can be rammed in there, I'd appreciate it.
The 'cut out' is about 22mm high (as best as I can measure it) and the pitch of the sockets is about 10 mm. The sockets are slightly lower in the cut out than centre- oh and they are vertical.
Depending on how many sockets you intend to use...if you only use one of the USB sockets and don't use the sound in port, some big clunky USB sticks will fit quite easily. BTW - have you already bought the USB stick? - if not you can get physically smaller ones, 7dayshop.com have 1GB ones for less then £11 and 2GB ones for less than £18 at the moment - I have no affiliation and their service is not the fastest but I have bought about 10 of these recently for colleagues and have had no problems.

HTH

Will

Forum Links
Forum Rules