Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > LaunchBar rules!

LaunchBar rules!
schwa
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2001, 02:17 PM

LaunchBar has got to be one of the coolest utilities I've ever seen for the Mac. It's a menu item that indexes your bookmarks, email addresses, files (and god knows what else) and gives you easy shortcut access to them.

I've only played around with it a little, but it claims to "learn" the shortcuts you use and get smarter as you use it more. Really simple, but well done and extremely useful. Check it out...

http://www.obdev.at/products/launchbar/

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Oct 26, 2001, 05:18 PM

Yes, I've been using that for a bit. You get completely addicted very quickly; I paid my $20 fee a few days after trying it out.

The "learning" works remarkably well, also. If they cut down the indexing time I'd be even happier. =)
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

iSore
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2001, 06:45 PM

I hope it doesn't fall victim to all the good press. Looking at the reviews on VT would make anybody wary: they're all so glowing.

Come to think of it, I think I'll post a few slams. God I love LB.
"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

-- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

macaddled
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2001, 03:18 PM

Bump. This utility reads your mind. Freaky, uptight-and-outta-sight.

Remember those rumors about finder-integrated search facility in OS X that, similar to iTunes, found stuff before you were done typing? That's what this does, and more. fifty stars.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2001, 03:49 PM

LaunchBar is so good, it's scarey!
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

mr_sonicblue
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2001, 04:03 PM

I never bought a piece of software as fast as I did with LaunchBar...

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2001, 07:23 PM

Payed for it exactly 2 days after downloading it
That was more than half a year ago.....and I'd pay the fee again...anytime.
It is simply awesome !!

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2001, 08:07 PM

I just tried it and I must say I'm impressed. This thing has esp!
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2001, 11:15 PM

Ok, this is great. I love it!

Update: I just bought a license

[ 11-13-2001: Message edited by: nonhuman ]

kidtexas
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 13, 2001, 11:27 PM

It's funny, the only reason I downloaded it was because I couldn't believe that LB was as good as every was saying it was. Sure enough, all the compliments payed to it were an understatement IT RULES!

surfacto
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2001, 05:53 PM

I have to agree that Launchbar rules! It has made my doc almost a forgotten thing, poor little guy, scrunched up into the corner now, with only the finder and a couple of folders in it, ha! I'm ready to pay up, but am wondering, when you pay, do they send you an SN or something so that I can apply it to both of my macs or do I have to pay twice?

kidtexas
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 14, 2001, 06:57 PM

serial number...

<phrenzy>
Nov 19, 2001, 02:28 AM

Wow, this thing does rule - I especially like how it co-exists nicely with ASM - they both just sit in their places - very nice...

I'll be buying this one...

<Unregistered>
Nov 19, 2001, 09:25 AM

Sorry to rain on everybody's parade, but LB crashed my system (G4500 Cube, 640 meg ram) into a hard freeze every time I attempted to awake from sleep or restart from a shutdown. I could only restart from Norton Utilities, ran Norton and it came up with major errors in B-tree, volume header (?), and the like. Removed LB and my system worked just fine. Just for the helluva it, I re-downloaded it, reinstalled it and the same thing happened. It's now off my system.

Tony

kjb
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 19, 2001, 10:31 AM

OK, I have LB, but I'm just struggling to figure out what to use it for. Can you all explain how you use it in the course of getting your work done?

It looks very powerful, I just need a little spoon feeding.

K

surfacto
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 19, 2001, 07:15 PM

Just hit command-space, then type the first 1 or 2 letters of the app or website or whatever that you want to switch to. A list appears in the corner, choose the right one and hit enter. Next time you use the same keystroke, that app or website or whatever will be toward the top, maybe even at the top if you use it alot, sooner or later you will learn to use certain keystrokes for certain apps and then they will always be at the top so you just hit return and it opens. Its quite nice. For example, I have it trained to that P gives me System Prefs, PP gives me Powerpoint, and PS gives me photoshop, etc. The more you use it the more efficient it gets, I Love it!

Forum Links
Forum Rules