Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > AvantGone... try Plucker

AvantGone... try Plucker
schwa
Mac Enthusiast
May 21, 2002, 09:36 AM

Well, I've come to the conclusion that AvantGo just isn't going to get an OS X conduit out anytime soon, and I'm tired of Classic, so I decided to move on.

If you're a bit adventurous, give Plucker a shot. You need to install Python and bzip (I got the first from VersionTracker, the second via fink), but there's an installer script that's pretty straightforward. The software is actually more robust than AvantGo, and the sites are completely customizable.

That said, there aren't a ton of sites that look decent in its format, and some (mainly good news sites) aren't supported at all. There's a companion piece, though, called SiteScooper. It's supposed to smartly reformat a ton of sites, but I haven't been able to get the script working. Has anyone else tried this?

hacker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2002, 11:18 AM

If you're a bit adventurous, give Plucker a shot. You need to install Python and bzip (I got the first from VersionTracker, the second via fink), but there's an installer script that's pretty straightforward. The software is actually more robust than AvantGo, and the sites are completely customizable.
Please don't link to deep pages on the Plucker website directly. Since the site changes often, those links may fail to work as the site evolves.

We've just released version 1.2 of Plucker, which contains full VFS support for external storage cards (CompactFlash, SD/MMC, and MemoryStick, as well as Visor Springboard flash modules), 13 language translations, and parsers and distillers for Linux, Unix, Windows, and Mac OSX operating systems. There is also a full-blown desktop GUI for configuring and scheduling your Plucker content. An email-only interface is also provided for those people who cannot get access to the web directly (such as behind a restrictive firewall, kiosk systems, or for those who cannot get Plucker working on their particular system). There's a whole lot more in this release, give it a try. Hit the main Plucker homepage for the full details.

Group51
Senior User
Oct 19, 2002, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by hacker:

There is also a full-blown desktop GUI for configuring and scheduling your Plucker content.
Is this available for OSX? I just downloaded Plcker and can't find the app. I can't get the Java thing to work either, but I don't think that's what you mean(?)

This sounds very exciting, so I'm keen to get going!

gthyb
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2002, 01:49 AM

isilox became my replacement. it works great.

RoofusPennymore
Senior User
Oct 20, 2002, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by gthyb:
isilox became my replacement. it works great.
I use iSiloX too. Plucker was a pain to set up.
---I'm on a low Microsoft diet.

cutterjohn
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2002, 12:58 PM

...and don't forget sitescooper:
www.sitescooper.org

Works with virtually any web site, up to 3 levels of links retrievable IIRC.

comes with a bunch of pre-configured sites, but you have to activate them which you SHOULD have an opportunity to do so on the first run, and then by following the directions to change those later.

The site also has links to pre-"scooped" .pdb(Palm Doc & isilo IIRC) sites as well.

uses Perl.

NOTE: I have NOT run this under OSX, but I used to run it on my linux server all of the time, and transfer the resultant isilo files to my palm. (Before I had any notebooks & 802.11b at home, now I use the notebooks and the subsequent freedom.)

Also it is probably is just as difficult to configure as Plucker, but once you have your "subscriptions" setup there is almost nothing to it.

I used sitescooper from c. late 1998 - 2001. I just never found avantgo to be all that great. (I started off trying avantgo. The only thing that I missed with avantgo was the connect & synch "feature". i.e. with both plucker & sitescooper you have to tell them to fetch the sites and then manually transfer them v. automagically by avantgo. The upside though is that both plucker & sitescooper are more versatile.)

Anomalous
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2002, 03:00 PM

You might get more responses in the PDA forum.

Forum Links
Forum Rules