Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Oprah Winfrey: Reverse Racist

Oprah Winfrey: Reverse Racist (Page 2)
stevesnj
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2008, 10:31 AM

Its her show...she can have anyone on it when and if she wants them.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

AllegedNews  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 6, 2008, 11:46 AM

vmarks

So, the show we know as Oprah! didn't really start until over a year after the election season in which Ferraro took part.
So it's been 22 years since Ferraro was nominated potential VP?

Why hasn't Oprah had her on then? She's had multitudes of shows about strong female role models.

Anyway, I like Oprah, but I have to say I like her a lot less now. I dislike her caucasian misogynistic slant.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2008, 03:56 PM

Oprah gives us ample opportunities to tease liberals. She herself can be implicated in giving some of the most bizarre, cultic praise of Obama (he is "The One" who "help us evolve to a higher plane of being", etc). But calling her racist is just an ugly attempt to smear and discredit someone who is pretty deserving of her commercial success.

I mean, Palin has energized the Republican base and presents a serious threat to Obama's candidacy. We know Oprah loves Obama, so it is obvious why she does not want to give Palin exposure to her massive audience. And as for the Ferraro thing . . . . I had to Google John Kerry just to figure out who his running mate was in 2004; that is how quickly people forget about failed presidential candidates and their veeps. So it's no surprise that Ferraro is not making appearances on Oprah, because frankly I don't think anyone cares about her or even remembers her anymore.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2008, 04:46 PM

1. I see no evidence that this has anything to do with Palin's sex or race.

2. Oprah has said she won't have any active candidates on her show. I don't think she has violated this stated intention, so Palin is not getting special treatment here, and this is a totally made-up "scandal."

3. Oprah is free to support Obama. Lots of people do. She's also free to not support McCain. This doesn't make her a bad person, just a devoted liberal. Do you feel compelled to promote every cause you hear about, whether or not you agree with it? Seems like a silly idea to me.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2008, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
1. I see no evidence that this has anything to do with Palin's sex or race.

2. Oprah has said she won't have any active candidates on her show. I don't think she has violated this stated intention, so Palin is not getting special treatment here, and this is a totally made-up "scandal."

3. Oprah is free to support Obama. Lots of people do. She's also free to not support McCain. This doesn't make her a bad person, just a devoted liberal. Do you feel compelled to promote every cause you hear about, whether or not you agree with it? Seems like a silly idea to me.
It is made up scandal. It's an organized attack on Oprah by conservatives using words such as "reverse racist".

Then they wonder why there aren't many Blacks in the Republican party, and then blame the media for pointing this out.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2008, 06:01 AM

Palin doesn't want to be interviewed.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/200...politico/13208

finboy
Sep 7, 2008, 03:16 PM

You guys haven't figured out that Oprah CAN'T BE a racist, since only members of the oppressing majority can be racists or do racist things.

I had a course on cultural sensitivity in 1986 and heard that, and I heard it again in the spring when a local university administrator gave a speech and invited an "expert" on race relations to speak to their campus. Only the oppressors can be racists.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2008, 05:26 PM

Palin's comment:

"Thanks, but no thanks to that bitch to nowhere !"

-t

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2008, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by finboy View Post
You guys haven't figured out that Oprah CAN'T BE a racist, since only members of the oppressing majority can be racists or do racist things.

I had a course on cultural sensitivity in 1986 and heard that, and I heard it again in the spring when a local university administrator gave a speech and invited an "expert" on race relations to speak to their campus. Only the oppressors can be racists.
I strongly disagree with that. Only oppressors can *act* on their racism, but an oppressed person can easily form generalizations about an oppressing race that can lead them to hate even members of that race that don't share the oppressing viewpoint. Also, all it takes is a gun in the hands of an oppressed and an unarmed oppressor to switch the power structure.

What's more, Oprah is hardly oppressed. Her wealth and the strength of her opinion gives her quite a bit of power. If she *were* to given Obama/Biden a voice through her show and not McCain/Palin, she could very easily become an oppressor.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2008, 06:35 PM

The idea of a race en masse being "the oppressor" is itself not a very healthy way of looking at things. The idea that my very existence is oppressive is more than a little insulting.
Chuck
___

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 7, 2008, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by AllegedNews View Post
So it's been 22 years since Ferraro was nominated potential VP?

Why hasn't Oprah had her on then? She's had multitudes of shows about strong female role models.
Because Ferraro wasn't news after she lost the election. In fact, I hadn't heard of Ferraro for years until she got involved with Hillary Clinton's campaign. How much of a role model could she have been in all those years of intervening obscurity?

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 7, 2008, 08:05 PM

Remember, if you're white and male, all you have to do is wait until you're a senior citizen - then you'll be in a minority due to age and be oppressed in the workplace, just like every other minority (HUMOR to the left, for the humor impaired.)

Of course, this doesn't work quite the way it used to due to the large boomer population aging.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2008, 09:08 PM

I dislike her caucasian misogynistic slant.
Wait? She now has a caucasian slant? I thought she was a "reverse" racist?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2008, 09:24 PM

She's a black woman who acts like a white woman who thinks she is a black woman who acts like a white reversely-racist black woman who dislikes whites AND hispanics. It's worse than any of us imagined.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 7, 2008, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
She's a black woman who acts like a white woman who thinks she is a black woman who acts like a white reversely-racist black woman who dislikes whites AND hispanics. It's worse than any of us imagined.
You're making my head spin. What is this 'acts like' business?

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2008, 11:12 PM

The 'acts like' business is a component of a multi-predicated phrase intended to humorously display the unintelligibility of the fact patterns put forward in the OP's argument and the subsequent related arguments that Oprah is racist.

finboy
Sep 8, 2008, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
I strongly disagree with that. Only oppressors can *act* on their racism, but an oppressed person can easily form generalizations about an oppressing race that can lead them to hate even members of that race that don't share the oppressing viewpoint. Also, all it takes is a gun in the hands of an oppressed and an unarmed oppressor to switch the power structure.

What's more, Oprah is hardly oppressed. Her wealth and the strength of her opinion gives her quite a bit of power. If she *were* to given Obama/Biden a voice through her show and not McCain/Palin, she could very easily become an oppressor.
I understand your opinion, but what I'm telling you is that Oprah cannot by definition be racist according to the definition used by the most prominant multicultural theorists of our time. I urge you to look into the matter.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2008, 06:12 AM

Racist conservatives organized an attack Oprah with a phony story, and coined the new term Reverse Racist™.

http://gawker.com/5046022/how-to-plant-bullshit

All you Reverse Racist™ hating on the white people.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 10, 2008, 10:58 AM

Reverse racism has been a term in use for a long period of time. I first heard it in the late 80s.

And, where can I get an 'attack Oprah' ? Is it like a security system?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2008, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Racist conservatives organized an attack Oprah with a phony story, and coined the new term Reverse Racist™.

http://gawker.com/5046022/how-to-plant-bullshit

All you Reverse Racist™ hating on the white people.
The term "reverse racism" has been around for a long time. It's just nonsense, because racial prejudice is racial prejudice — no matter what "cultural sensitivity" instructors like to tell you.
Chuck
___

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2008, 12:16 PM

I'm amazed that anyone gives a good crap who Oprah has on her show.

And mislabeling any and everything racism? Sheesh. Talk about taking a page from the left's dirty trick playbook. That old crap doesn't even work for leftists, why does anyone on the right imagine it would work for them?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2008, 01:51 PM

Anyone else believe this is a joke thread?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2008, 02:53 PM

A reverse racist would be someone who thinks more highly of someone of a particular race just because of the color of their skin.

Also, reverse racism is a terrible term. The word you are looking for would be racism. The same word applies to anyone who feels differently about members of certain races.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2008, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE View Post
I'm amazed that anyone gives a good crap who Oprah has on her show.

And mislabeling any and everything racism? Sheesh. Talk about taking a page from the left's dirty trick playbook. That old crap doesn't even work for leftists, why does anyone on the right imagine it would work for them?
Perhaps that's the "change" McCain is talking about? He seems to be talking a lot from the Democrats playbook.

AllegedNews  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2008, 07:45 PM

A reverse racist would be someone who thinks more highly of someone of a particular race just because of the color of their skin.

Also, reverse racism is a terrible term. The word you are looking for would be racism. The same word applies to anyone who feels differently about members of certain races.
Well said, Ort888

Ratm
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2008, 12:35 AM

When are whites going to get WET?
I think white women get WET every time they see a black

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2008, 01:03 AM

Maybe only white women into bestiality?

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2008, 01:18 AM

There is no such thing as a reverse racist unless you are referring to "yellow fever" or "jungle fever" where a person is (usually white) has an intense attraction to people of another race. There are plenty of blacks who are racist against white people. Some of the most racist people in LA are blacks who hate Koreans for some reason.

Being a racist has nothing to do with the colour of their own skin.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. To my neighbours to the south, grow up already and join the rest of the civilized world in the 21st century. I'm attracted to beautiful women of all shades of skin tone.

There is only one race, the human race. Stop playing the victim.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

AllegedNews  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2008, 08:10 AM

That's right. Maybe Oprah can promote more female white achievers on her show sometime soon.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2008, 08:17 AM

What is with some people's insistence on slapping idiotic provocative labels on everything? Comon people, stop being intellectually lazy and start using your brains!

You need to do much more than simply state that Oprah Winfrey is a reverse racist using this particular single case as an example in order to truly make this case. Until you are able to do so, maybe a question mark or some sort of thinking out loud process may demonstrate a little more thoughtfulness than declarations that are so easily refuted?

It is this reason why so many people have fled the PL, I think... All heart and emotion and no brains and rational thought. Not to mention a steady stream of intense, vitriolic comments.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2008, 03:23 PM

Reverse Racism has been use for decades. True.

However, there is no such thing as reverse racist.

You don't call someone who is racist a reverse racist™ just because they are not White. That's idiotic.

A racist is a racist regardless of race. How is Oprah a reverse racist? What's the difference between a racist and a reverse racist?

Forum Links
Forum Rules