Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Nintendo Wii

Nintendo Wii (Page 44)
goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2006, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
It is intentional? You serious?

Like I said I approach 2 trolls standing next to one another. I attack one of them while the second one literally 1 inch away with his back turned totally ignores all the screaming and clanking going on because his eyes aren't facing us. It is not a bug but a feature? How is that better in any way?

You try this in Gears of war and see how well things go for you.
a) I've never had this issue.
b) You don't seem to be understand the "it's scripted" part.
( c) I wasn't aware Zelda had trolls. )
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Jolt21
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 12, 2006, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I've heard a lot of people claim that, but I've never heard Nintendo claim that. Given that $100 is about the value of the controller, nunchuck and Wii Sports, that seems like a pretty low price.
he is right about Nintendo claiming it was supposed to be $100. but i agree with you about all the additions that make it $250. it was a fine purchase. i think the price allows for it to be a supplemental purchase to a 360 or ps3.
blah

Calimus
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 12, 2006, 03:13 PM

I've heard a lot of people claim that, but I've never heard Nintendo claim that. Given that $100 is about the value of the controller, nunchuck and Wii Sports, that seems like a pretty low price.
Miyamoto Did say that in an interview, But $199(roughly the japanese price without Wii sports bundled) for the console really isn't bad considering it's a new product with demand. After all, this is a business, and they can charge whatever the market will bare.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2006, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
a) I've never had this issue.
b) You don't seem to be understand the "it's scripted" part.
( c) I wasn't aware Zelda had trolls. )
a) Big surprise
b) Nobody else can fathom what you mean by "it is scripted, that is why it is dumb".
c) Now your nitpicking to distract as usual. Trolls, goblins, elf, call em what you like they are all dumb as dirt.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 12, 2006, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Didn't Nintendo admit that the Wii was originally supposed to be a sub-$100 console? What happened to that? Does anyone know what caused them to be unable to keep the price lower?
Miyamoto said that his initial concept was something that would "cost $100" but it's not clear if that's the cost of manufacturing it or the actual cost of the console. I think the former is much more likely.

From here:

Was making a console that would cost $250 or less the goal from the start?

Miyamoto: Originally, I wanted a machine that would cost $100. My idea was to spend nothing on the console technology so all the money could be spent on improving the interface and software. If we hadn't used NAND flash memory [to store data such as games and photos] and other pricey parts, we might have succeeded.

To answer your questions, yes, we set out to design a console that would sell for less than 25,000 yen ($211). It was a tall hurdle. But unless you start off with a target, you can't control costs and you'll inevitably lose money. Also, we thought a low-cost console would make moms happy.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2006, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Calimus View Post
Miyamoto Did say that in an interview, But $199(roughly the japanese price without Wii sports bundled) for the console really isn't bad considering it's a new product with demand. After all, this is a business, and they can charge whatever the market will bare.
This isn't the exact article I read, but it's the same story. Miyamoto wanted a $100 Wii

[EDIT] Beat to the punch AGAIN!

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2006, 04:42 PM

Ok got Wii #3 and all seems fine. The blue light takes the Wii from hello kitty CD drive to wicked cool.

Naturally I sent myself an email and didn't check it so the light stays on but I was disappointed it turns off once you power up the system and stays off even if you don't check the email.

ink
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2006, 06:02 PM

You try this in Gears of war and see how well things go for you.
Hell, try that in Ultima V on the Apple2; all the guards in the city will be on your ass faster than you can arrow your way to the gate.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2006, 06:47 PM

I like the Wii because:

1) extremely cool use of technology. you can actually point at the friggon screen,makes you stop and wonder why someone didnt think of this before.

2) VC....i skipped the SNES/N64 generation... it'll be cool to enjoy some of those games off a single box now. (and since i didnt own either of those consoles, i wont be paying twice)

3) Visuals and Sound at the moment are "accepable" cause most of the launch games are projects brought over from GCN. the second wave will flex a little more muscle. sure it wont be as preety as the XB360, but it'll get better, and if current games areacceptable(to those of us with SD displays anyway)...then ext wave will be better, so im not fussed.

4)The price. $250 is too high ? and $400 or $600 for a gaming sytem isnt ? sure ur getting a HD-drived system....but it still costs a friggon lo for a gaming system.

5)The games. some people look at the controller and say thats wortth $250. look at the gameplay possibilities here... Nintendo have only scratched the surface. Wii sports is a blast, Zelda is amazing...i cant wait for the rest.

What i dont like about the system is the region coding. in fact i was considering a PS3 at one point cause it was region free for games. but then the PS3's price totally soured me.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2006, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
3) Visuals and Sound at the moment are "accepable" cause most of the launch games are projects brought over from GCN. the second wave will flex a little more muscle. sure it wont be as preety as the XB360, but it'll get better, and if current games areacceptable(to those of us with SD displays anyway)...then ext wave will be better, so im not fussed.
Nope. It is stuck with poor audio at a hardware level. Not because games are ports or first gen.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2006, 09:59 PM

Our Christmas tree is next to the TV. With the tree's lights on, the Wii doesn't work; the controller doesn't know where its focus is. We have to turn the tree off so that the controller works.

Good job, N.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2006, 10:16 PM

I stuck all my wires in a big bundle, and now the signal from my Playstation looks like crap. Good job, Sony.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2006, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Our Christmas tree is next to the TV. With the tree's lights on, the Wii doesn't work; the controller doesn't know where its focus is. We have to turn the tree off so that the controller works.

Good job, N.
I stuck all my wires in a big bundle, and now the signal from my Playstation looks like crap. Good job, Sony.
Oh, let me play...

I was blaring rock music in the background and what do you know?-- Speech recognition doesn't work! Good job, Apple.

zro
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2006, 01:57 AM

No, I think "N" is the person who set the tree up next to his TV.

I get that (Christmas tree interference) in Red Steel, but that's it.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2006, 02:18 AM

The thing I wonder about is that with the Wii you can use candles instead of a sensor bar. So wouldn't you have interference from candles when you were using the sensor bar?

Not that I couple a romantic evening with playing the Nintendo Wii but I thought at least a few people who use candles often would run into this problem.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 13, 2006, 02:19 AM

Probably. I'd guess any light hitting the sensor would cause problems. I didn't even think about the Christmas tree until it happened.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2006, 05:24 AM

it's IR detection at the end of the day. if any red light is facing the Wiimote, it will get confused i reckon.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 13, 2006, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post

Good job, N.
Have you tried calibrating the controller from the Wii menu?

I don't think it'll actually help, but the two blinking dots that you see on that calibration screen actually reflect what the Wiimote "sees", and it might be useful to get an idea of exactly how the Wiimote sees your tree. Those lights should only be able to put out so much infrared, so it's possible that by stepping back a bit you may be able to find a point where the Wiimote can see the sensor bar but not your lights.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2006, 11:40 AM

Our massive tree is right next to the sensor, and we aren't having any problems at all. Check your calibration as already said.

As far as all the whining and pouting about the graphics and crap, what did you expect? For frak's sake, the Wii isn't a PS3 or Xbox, not was it ever billed to be. Quit asking so much out of a system that was never designed to live up to the false standards you're placing on it, and just play the frakking games -- or sell it.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my band • my web site • my guitar effects • my photos • facebook • brightpoint

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2006, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
As far as all the whining and pouting about the graphics and crap, what did you expect? For frak's sake, the Wii isn't a PS3 or Xbox, not was it ever billed to be. Quit asking so much out of a system that was never designed to live up to the false standards you're placing on it, and just play the frakking games -- or sell it.
agreed

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2006, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by zro View Post
I get that (Christmas tree interference) in Red Steel, but that's it.
Whether it's true or not, Christmas tree interference just sounds hilarious. Good thing I'm Jewish, I can enjoy my Wii without concern

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2006, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by itai195 View Post
Whether it's true or not, Christmas tree interference just sounds hilarious. Good thing I'm Jewish, I can enjoy my Wii without concern
You need to keep your menorah on top of the TV

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2006, 02:33 PM

The mortal enemy of the Nintendo Wii: Christmas trees?

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thum...006/12/12/6262

Weezer
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2006, 02:43 PM

React - Component Cable for Nintendo Wii - RTWII01

if you still need em, component cables in stock

Imac Core Duo 1.83/1.5 GB/20 inch cinema, ibook G4 1 ghz

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2006, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by itai195 View Post
Oh, but watch out for that Menorah!

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2006, 03:48 PM

Beat you to it.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2006, 03:55 PM

Nintendo has announced they have reached the 2 million sold mark:

http://www.vgcharts.org/ngwars.php?topic=1

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2006, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
Beat you to it.
Oh, yay for you.

Seriously though, whoever finds this surprising still hasn't understood how the sensor bar/positional system of the Wii-mote works. All you have to do is put the tree away from the TV/sensor bar.

Though some people commented on the linked article that setting down the sensitivity level worked just fine as well. I suppose your mileage may vary, depending on where the tree is, what type of lights it has and all other variables.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2006, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Gabriel Morales View Post
Oh, yay for you.
Don't be bitter

ajprice
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2006, 04:09 PM

If Christmas tree interferenceâ„¢ isn't the technical term for the confused remote, it should be!!

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2006, 04:11 PM

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2006, 04:36 PM

When I get a Wii, I know what I'm buying to make sure people don't let the controller fly off into the television.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2006, 04:46 PM

Penny Arcade! - Lubricado

Edit: Whoa! The forums just named a link for me! Cool!
Linkinus is king.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2006, 08:58 PM

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2006, 09:09 PM

Don't be bitter
I'm not.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2006, 11:21 PM

zro
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2006, 05:10 AM

Your point?

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2006, 07:59 AM

He's saying that they're radio based, thinking this will support his anti-infrared crusade.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work. The screen on the WunderWall is many times larger than just about any TV screen out there, and the players stand further back from it. Therefore, the controls do not need to be as accurate as the Wiimote is: you can get away with a larger margin of error, to the point where radio-based positioning becomes feasible.

Oh, and did you happen to notice the price on this thing? They don't on the site, but I can't help noticing that they feel a need to rent it out. My guess is that we're talking upper four to low five digits.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 14, 2006, 08:49 AM

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2006, 09:20 AM

C'mon…graphics mean nothing…
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2006, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
LOL. Good one

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 14, 2006, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [♬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2006, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Millennium View Post
He's saying that they're radio based, thinking this will support his anti-infrared crusade.
Wow, you should start your own hotline if you can read minds like that.

What colour socks am I wearing?

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2006, 10:48 AM

Wow, you should start your own hotline if you can read minds like that.

Trick question; you're not wearing socks.

But if that wasn't your point, then what is your point?

deomacius
Senior User
Dec 14, 2006, 10:52 AM

Mauve.

You reap what you sow.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2006, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium View Post
Trick question; you're not wearing socks.

But if that wasn't your point, then what is your point?
Actually I didn't even read it so I don't know about the radio technology or my anti-IR crusade I am apparently on.

I linked to it because the company made a comment publicly wondering why everyone is so enamored with the Wii and its new styles when they have had their product out for over a year.

Oh and my socks are beige today.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2006, 06:04 AM

Nintendo is recalling 3.2 million wrist straps! That doesn't sound good for Nintendo.

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2006, 06:41 AM

I linked to it because the company made a comment publicly wondering why everyone is so enamored with the Wii and its new styles when they have had their product out for over a year.
For the same reason that folks were so excited about the first (and later) Apple computer even though more powerful mainframes already existed: Cost and practicality.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 15, 2006, 07:47 AM

Here's a link to the strap replacement form. I'll have to admit that I'm a little surprised that it came to this, but kudos to Nintendo for doing the right thing.

| Nintendo - Customer Service | Wii Remote Wrist Strap Replacement

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2006, 09:54 AM

Oh good another order I need to place from Nintendo.

#1) Replace broken Wii
#2) Replace second broken Wii
#3) Replace defective Wii Sports
#4) Replace straps

And I have only had it two weeks. Fun stuff.

Forum Links
Forum Rules