Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Nintendo Wii

Nintendo Wii (Page 45)
jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2006, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
Oh good another order I need to place from Nintendo.

#1) Replace broken Wii
#2) Replace second broken Wii
#3) Replace defective Wii Sports
#4) Replace straps

And I have only had it two weeks. Fun stuff.

You don't have to get a new strap if you don't want to. I've got no problem with mine so I'm not even going to bother...

All glory to the hypnotoad.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2006, 10:26 AM

You suck at TEH Wii
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2006, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post

You don't have to get a new strap if you don't want to. I've got no problem with mine so I'm not even going to bother...
Good idea. I'll just wait till it ends up in my $3000 TV. Beats having to fill out that form.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 15, 2006, 10:38 AM

Could anyone please explain the Wii Parade to me? Do other Miis only appear after you've added friends to your Address Book?

My Wii has crashed on me twice while starting up Wii Play (completely addicted to Laser Hockey), I'm waiting for the annoying "attach your Wii strap" screen but the screen stays black. Only way to regain control is to is unplug the power lead... I suspect it could've been a dying Wiimote battery that was upsetting it...
tin pot, garden shed

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2006, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by OB1 View Post
Could anyone please explain the Wii Parade to me? Do other Miis only appear after you've added friends to your Address Book?
Ya I can't figure it out either, really confusing and not well explained at all.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2006, 10:45 AM

Oh good another order I need to place from Nintendo.

#1) Replace broken Wii
#2) Replace second broken Wii
#3) Replace defective Wii Sports
#4) Replace straps

And I have only had it two weeks. Fun stuff.
OK; you've had some rotten luck, and I'm genuinely sorry to hear it. You deserve a break; you really do. But you seem to have this thing about projecting your own bad luck onto the Wii as a whole, when the fact is that this is nobody's fault.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2006, 11:42 AM

Good idea. I'll just wait till it ends up in my $3000 TV. Beats having to fill out that form.
I have an idea, don't be an idiot and throw your wiimote at the TV.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2006, 11:44 AM

I have an idea, don't be an idiot and throw your wiimote at the TV.
Don't be an idiot and think people do that on purpose.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2006, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Millennium View Post
OK; you've had some rotten luck, and I'm genuinely sorry to hear it. You deserve a break; you really do. But you seem to have this thing about projecting your own bad luck onto the Wii as a whole, when the fact is that this is nobody's fault.
I projected Nintendo hate and that caused two brand new busted Wii's, a known defective Wii sports disk and a strap recall?

You don't think that sounds a little apologetic? Tell me people wouldn't be laughing their ass off if I was talking about my PS3.

But I guess my projection is spreading to the DS adapters which are also recalled now in Japan.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/15/n...lite-adapters/

Hopefully a North American recall won't follow.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2006, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
Don't be an idiot and think people do that on purpose.
They basically do. To first use enough force to lodge a remote into a TV is way beyond what you need to use to play the Wii. And to let go of the remote while you're swinging it is just as dumb.

You don't see people blaming Louisville Slugger when a kid lets a bat fly and it hits another player. Why is it different for the Wii?

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2006, 11:51 AM

They basically do. To first use enough force to lodge a remote into a TV is way beyond what you need to use to play the Wii.
It's not about doing what you need to do. Do they only use the range of motion necessary in the commercials?

Create a product to simulate real-life situation and you're gonna find people doing just that.

And to let go of the remote while you're swinging it is just as dumb.
Again, they're not doing thay on purpose.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2006, 11:51 AM

You can't compare a wooden bat with a smooth plastic remote. Personally, I haven't had the Wii even come close to slipping out of my hand, but I can see how it COULD happen.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 15, 2006, 11:52 AM

I projected Nintendo hate and that caused two brand new busted Wii's, a known defective Wii sports disk and a strap recall?
He's just saying that your experience isn't representative of most people's experiences. I can only speak for myself, but so far I haven't had any trouble with the Wii.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2006, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
It's not about doing what you need to do. Do they only use the range of motion necessary in the commercials?

Create a product to simulate real-life situation and you're gonna find people doing just that.

Again, they're not doing thay on purpose.
I'm not talking about the range of motion - I'm talking about the amount of force exerted. That is truly above and beyond what is necessary for playing.

And I know they aren't doing it on purpose, but they sure are asking for it...

Originally Posted by starman View Post
You can't compare a wooden bat with a smooth plastic remote. Personally, I haven't had the Wii even come close to slipping out of my hand, but I can see how it COULD happen.
They are comparable because you're not supposed to let either one of them go while you're swinging it. However if it happens people seem to blame the kid in baseball but they'll blame Nintendo here.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2006, 11:58 AM

I'm not talking about the range of motion - I'm talking about the amount of force exerted. That is truly above and beyond what is necessary for playing.
Gaming isn't about what's necessary, it's about what's fun. That's the entire concept behind using this remote instead of a standard controller, right?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2006, 12:00 PM

My Wii has crashed on me twice while starting up Wii Play (completely addicted to Laser Hockey), I'm waiting for the annoying "attach your Wii strap" screen but the screen stays black. Only way to regain control is to is unplug the power lead... I suspect it could've been a dying Wiimote battery that was upsetting it...
The Mii Parade is the "repository" for mingling Miis from other Wii consoles. For example, if you are in my address book and I create a new Mii and that Mii is set to mingle, you'll find my new Mii walking around in your Mii Parade. If you want, you can grab this Mii and take it to your Mii console (the main Mii area -- I forget what it's called). If you do that, the Mii will no longer be in the Parade since it's on your console.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2006, 12:01 PM

No, they're NOT comparable. You don't throw the bat in baseball. With Tennis, I've gotten into the game where I've swung the Wiimote pretty friggin' hard. You get INTO the game, which is the point you don't seem to grasp.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2006, 12:11 PM

No, they're NOT comparable. You don't throw the bat in baseball. With Tennis, I've gotten into the game where I've swung the Wiimote pretty friggin' hard. You get INTO the game, which is the point you don't seem to grasp.
Yes, they ARE comparable. You don't throw the Wiimote in Wii playing. With baseball, I've gotten into the game where I've swung the bat pretty friggin hard.

Hell, compare it to regular tennis - you don't see rackets flying all over the court when points get exciting.

And considering I've reached pro status in Tennis and Bowling, I think I've gotten "into" the game.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2006, 12:22 PM

Just because you reached Pro status doesn't mean squat. You could sit there on the couch and flick your wrist.

We covered this at length before - bats and raquets are made out of different material than the smooth plastic Wiimote.

Calimus
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 15, 2006, 12:32 PM

There have to be some defective straps because there have been a number of tests done by people online showing the strap takes a ton of force to break. One guy hung nearly 40 pounds off the strap and it didn't break. Another guy attached it to a wooden baseball bat(using a large staple through the small part of the strap into the bottom of the bat), and would do a full swing, releasing the bat and having the strap catch the bat, no breaks. A wooden baseball bat is certainly way more force than you could achieve with even the most energetic Wii motions.

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 15, 2006, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
The Mii Parade is the "repository" for mingling Miis from other Wii consoles. For example, if you are in my address book and I create a new Mii and that Mii is set to mingle, you'll find my new Mii walking around in your Mii Parade. If you want, you can grab this Mii and take it to your Mii console (the main Mii area -- I forget what it's called). If you do that, the Mii will no longer be in the Parade since it's on your console.
Thanks. RAILhead

All this mingling is nice, but I'd rather some real online gaming...
tin pot, garden shed

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2006, 04:26 PM

Thanks. RAILhead

All this mingling is nice, but I'd rather some real online gaming...
Ask and ye shall receive:
Online Pokemon Battle Rev Clip - Kotaku

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2006, 04:40 PM

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 15, 2006, 04:47 PM

Yeah, I saw that. It's odd that they gave it a tenth of a point higher than the Wii version, but mentioned several times that the Wii version was better. I think it was a different reviewer though.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2006, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
Yeah, I saw that. It's odd that they gave it a tenth of a point higher than the Wii version, but mentioned several times that the Wii version was better. I think it was a different reviewer though.
Nope; same guy. He's a known Wii-skeptic, though, and he's been open about snubbing the Wii version of Zelda as a way of punishing the Wii. Thus, his rating of the Cube version higher than the Wii version even though he said the Wii version was better should come as no surprise.

Very unprofessional. How he got away without being reprimanded I'll never know.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2006, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium View Post
Nope; same guy. He's a known Wii-skeptic, though, and he's been open about snubbing the Wii version of Zelda as a way of punishing the Wii. Thus, his rating of the Cube version higher than the Wii version even though he said the Wii version was better should come as no surprise.

Very unprofessional. How he got away without being reprimanded I'll never know.
He gave better sound points to the GC version so I don't see this conspiracy.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2006, 05:27 PM

He gave better sound points to the GC version so I don't see this conspiracy.
He also claimed the Wii graphics and controls were better yet gave them the same scores.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2006, 05:29 PM

Honestly, if he thinks the Wii version was better, then he should be a man about it, retract his 8.8 score for the Wii version, and re-score it in a way that reflects the fact that he thinks it's better than the GameCube version.

Of course, he'll never do that, because GameStop's rating system won't let him do that without giving it at least a 9.0, and God forbid he should give a 9.x-level rating to a Wii game. Which I suppose may be the point of giving the GameCube version an 8.9: this is his way of telling the fans that he knows what this game deserves, but won't give the game that score because it's on the Wii.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 15, 2006, 05:31 PM

The reviewer has a well known bias against the Wii. There is a topic in the Gamespot forums about it, I believe it's called "When will Gamespot learn to play the Wii?"
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2006, 06:43 PM

Got my component cables today, somewhat surprisingly. They came from Nintendo, as I later placed an order directly with them. I'll have to cancel my GameStop order.

I see the point on limited "cable peeling". The component cables break away too near the end of the cables, making it impossible to peel away more than a (very few) inches, which is disappointed.

However, I was not disappointed by the improved image. I'm not all that picky about video quality usually, but this was rather noticeable to me. The picture is definitively significantly better. And, I don't see the increased jaggies some have mentioned. In fact, jaggies seem smoother to me, and the color is richer, more saturated and clearer. Worth the trouble and cost, in my opinion.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2006, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
The reviewer has a well known bias against the Wii. There is a topic in the Gamespot forums about it, I believe it's called "When will Gamespot learn to play the Wii?"
That would be the attitude of any "hardcore" gamer imo, just look at these boards as an example. if a company doesnt satisfy the need this niche has for graphics and sound, they totally write you off.

Unfortunately, the mass market and developers dont really care ala PSP.

Cheers

PS>>the reason why the Wii game reviews have been all over the place, is because it's totally new, some people get it, some people dont. others choose not to...like this guy.

butchcass
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2006, 02:31 AM

the ps2 can only do 1080i in ONE SINGLE GAME: Gran Turismo 4.
thats it. the ONLY one.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2006, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by butchcass View Post
the ps2 can only do 1080i in ONE SINGLE GAME: Gran Turismo 4.
thats it. the ONLY one.
Better than nothing. It isn't like the disk came with magic powers so it shows the hardware is capable.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 16, 2006, 07:15 AM

Capable of displaying a racing game in 1080i, yes. Capable of displaying all games in 1080i? Not so much. You may as well say that because your computer can run one game at 60fps and 1024x768 resolution that it must be able to run all games that well.

When you keep spouting the same misinformation about the PS2, it just undermines your argument.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2006, 10:52 AM

Well, if a computer can do one game at that rate, don't you think that it goes to show that the machine is capable of it? We say now that the 360 and PS3's power is untapped, and yet here we find a company that puts out 1080i from a PS2, I'd say that it's VERY capable, but developers don't want to go through the trouble to figure out how to do so.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 16, 2006, 11:02 AM

The point is that even though it can do it with one type of game, that doesn't in any way shape or form mean that it is capable of doing it for ALL types of games. Why is this so hard to understand? I'm positive that the Wii hardware could handle something like GT4 in 1080i, but Nintendo has decided not to do that at the moment. End of story. This argument is pointless.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2006, 11:09 AM

Who said it was hard to understand? Do YOU know what the developers had to do to get it to run? Did you know that GTA:VC had DTS audio? I mean, developers are smart, dude, give them a little credit. It's NOT a pointless argument. Developers are squeezing power out of consoles all the time. This goes as far back as trying to get more than 4 sprites on a screen at the same time on an Atari 2600.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2006, 12:25 PM

New graphics and AI low set:
IGN: Far Cry Vengeance Review

"But just as Far Cry initially set a new graphic high on PC, so does it set a new graphic low on Wii, with visuals so blurry, smeary, sluggish and ugly that you'll question whether the title could realistically run on Nintendo 64."

Funny how they mention the same dumb AI as Zelda that is a "feature" according to GoMac.

But is it fun?

strictlyplaid
Senior User
Dec 16, 2006, 12:29 PM

New graphics and AI low set:
IGN: Far Cry Vengeance Review

"But just as Far Cry initially set a new graphic high on PC, so does it set a new graphic low on Wii, with visuals so blurry, smeary, sluggish and ugly that you'll question whether the title could realistically run on Nintendo 64."

Funny how they mention the same dumb AI as Zelda that is a "feature" according to GoMac.

But is it fun?
From the article:

"Upon booting Vengeance, one truth becomes immediately visible: this game was rushed. Wii is theoretically more powerful than Xbox, but it doesn't have the pixel shading benefits of Microsoft's first generation hardware. Despite the fact that it has released more than a year after Instincts, Vengeance doesn't even look half as good -- and we're not exaggerating. ... The game world is overrun with textures so blurry and low-res that they would have been laughable had they appeared on GameCube, let alone Wii."

The article makes it clear that the poor quality of the game is due to a rushed job by Ubisoft, not a fundamental flaw of the Wii.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2006, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by strictlyplaid View Post
The article makes it clear that the poor quality of the game is due to a rushed job by Ubisoft, not a fundamental flaw of the Wii.
Absolutely. I am sure you can show us a game that does show what the Wii is capable of graphically then right? There seems to be a difference excuse for all of them so far.

strictlyplaid
Senior User
Dec 16, 2006, 12:44 PM

Absolutely. I am sure you can show us a game that does show what the Wii is capable of graphically then right? There seems to be a difference excuse for all of them so far.
I'm not exactly sure what your point is. (I do have a theory, though.)

The Wii's graphics are known to be inferior to PS3's or XBox360: it's half the price. But the review clearly says that this (very poor) game is not representative of the Wii's capabilities.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2006, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by strictlyplaid View Post
I'm not exactly sure what your point is. (I do have a theory, though.)

The Wii's graphics are known to be inferior to PS3's or XBox360: it's half the price. But the review clearly says that this (very poor) game is not representative of the Wii's capabilities.
I am asking for one single game on the Wii that looks even slightly better than a gamecube title as the system is twice as powerful.

Just one. Surly they all can't be rushed or quick ports.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 16, 2006, 12:52 PM

I've come to the conclusion Wii was just made for the sole purpose of making SWG upset.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2006, 01:18 PM

I am asking for one single game on the Wii that looks even slightly better than a gamecube title as the system is twice as powerful.

Excite Truck looks pretty good IMO.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 16, 2006, 01:33 PM

I mean, developers are smart, dude, give them a little credit.
I find it terribly ironic that you'd make this statement, considering in your very last post you said that the developers were too lazy to harness the power of the PS2. SWG has also said as much. So in other words, your argument is that every PS2 developer except for the one who developed GT4 is either too unskilled or too lazy to get their games to display in 1080i. It couldn't possibly be because there are technical issues in the way?

The developers of Final Fantasy 12 have gone on record saying that they think they've pretty much tapped the power of the PS2. That game looks good, but it isn't even 480p.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2006, 02:55 PM

When did I say they were lazy? You're putting words in my mouth. Just because ONE group of developers did something innovative and clever doesn't make everyone else lazy. I was thinking that a simple game like Crash Bandicoot wouldn't be so impossible in at least 720p on a PS2.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 16, 2006, 03:10 PM

When did I say they were lazy? You're putting words in my mouth.
I'd say that it's VERY capable, but developers don't want to go through the trouble to figure out how to do so.
You don't think that sounds like you're saying they're too lazy to figure it out? And SWG has said outright that the developers were too lazy to get it working.

Just because ONE group of developers did something innovative and clever doesn't make everyone else lazy. I was thinking that a simple game like Crash Bandicoot wouldn't be so impossible in at least 720p on a PS2.
Some types of games, sure. Simpler games could be in 720p or even 1080i. But that didn't seem to be what you were saying. SWG in particular keeps saying that the PS2 can do 1080i in an attempt to prove that the Wii isn't even as good as the PS2. But that argument really doesn't hold water.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2006, 04:49 PM

No, but when Nintendo only gave the developers a Gamecube with a Wiimote bolted onto it as a pre-launch development kit, is it really any surprise that the launch games look like that's what they were developed on?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: this was the biggest mistake Nintendo made with the launch. Had they given the developers real Wii development kits, I daresay things would look "better" (by your definition of better) than they do now..

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 16, 2006, 06:09 PM

Well, I know that not all developers were given kits like that. Haven't you seen the Wii dev kit with the green faceplate? I saw pictures of that well before the launch of the system. I guess it might simply be that they didn't get the proper kits early enough, though.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2006, 06:25 PM

Supposedly, the actual Wii development kits weren't shipped until relatively close to launch.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Forum Links
Forum Rules