Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Nintendo Wii

Nintendo Wii (Page 53)
Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2007, 09:12 AM

I played Varsity Tennis is high school and college.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2007, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
Dakar: I'd suggest Raving Rabbids. Elebits single player is good, the multiplayer was only so so. Your Wii Sports review was spot on. Golf and Tennis are my two favorites. A lot of people seem to enjoy boxing but it isn't responsive enough for me.
Should I get opportunity, I'll remember. It was my friend's console. I only see him one every few months,

zerostar
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2007, 09:45 AM

Shouldn't this thread be moved to the gaming forum? ;-)

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2007, 09:45 AM

I suspect it will at some point.

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 14, 2007, 03:57 AM

"Everybody Votes" Channel? Anyone else thinking - what's in it for me?
tin pot, garden shed

ajprice
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2007, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by OB1 View Post
No, I'm thinking "Where is it?". I had the blue light this morning, went to the message board, and yes, "Everybody Votes" was there. So, accept the update, download, go back to menu, nothing there....

Where's my channel??!?!?!?!1

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2007, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by OB1 View Post
Indeed, pretty lame.

ajprice, did you download the update, as well as, download the channel from the "Shop" channel as advised in the directions? Just makimg sure.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2007, 09:32 AM

Yeah I've got it now rickey, it was a separate download in the Shop. I have to say I didn't read the bit in the message that told me that, but thats what you get for not reading the manual, lol.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2007, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
No, I'm thinking "Where is it?". I had the blue light this morning, went to the message board, and yes, "Everybody Votes" was there. So, accept the update, download, go back to menu, nothing there....

Where's my channel??!?!?!?!1
I was thinking the exact same thing. Then I went back and re-read the message - the channel is in the Wii Shop channel, same place the Internet Channel was.

Edit - I should finish reading the thread before I post.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2007, 12:16 PM

It is interesting... I have submitted a few questions. I am having a lot of fun with ice climber right now LOL

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2007, 01:32 PM

Everyone Votes is easily the weirdest channel haha

When I got the mail from Nintendo about the channel, I was like WTF? Web 2.0 channel?

But it's good to see them delivering some "goodies" monthly. Can't wait to see what other bizarre ideas they have for future channels.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2007, 05:19 PM

Jeeze, i didnt see this channel comin lol... bizzar is an understatement.

On a different note, I just saw a couple of screenshots of EA's upcoming golf game for the Wii, and when i saw the thumbnails, i thought it was a DS game. It looks absolutely shocking. And i suspect developer s are shortchanging the Wii and just porting over PS2 games to get quantity onto the Wii. im VERY disappointed with this, with the GameCube, we had less, but there were definately better production values to most games. Many games, look worse than first gen gameCube games, which is absolutely unacceptable.

I find myself picking up GameCube exclusives i didnt have the chance to play...i just got Viewtiful Joe and am on the lookout for BG&E.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2007, 07:21 AM

GC games are dirty cheap over here -Spain-, between 9€ ($11) and 19€ ($24), you can find Batallion Wars, Odama, Geist and the alikes…

BTW, look what I got from Club Nintendo, it is a limited Zelda T.P. collectible, about 14 inches, and only ten got its way to Spain, cool huh?

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2007, 07:11 PM

Doesn't anybody wonder why they didn't go with the "Voting Channel", ala "Forecast Channel" and the "News channel"? Anyway, the new channel screams to me as some kind of desperate attempt to throw something new at the fans. I may be wrong, of course. I'm still waiting for the online multi-player service.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2007, 05:11 PM

Why not a Game Demo channel? That would be much better than a voting channel!

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2007, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by zerostar View Post
Why not a Game Demo channel? That would be much better than a voting channel!
It's possible they will launch something like that along with major WiiConnect24 update sometime in the next few months. Few weeks ago Wii developers finally got instruction and tools to enable WiiConnect24 in their games.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 23, 2007, 09:59 PM

The limited storage space of the Wii might make downloading game demos problematic. I just wish they had demoes for the VC games.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2007, 10:17 AM

I would imagine they could run off the SD card no?

Also, I don't get why I can play my VC games from the SD card?

They need to support USB keyboards and USB external drives. In addition to the photo channel perhaps a movie channel for stuff on your external USB drive too, that would be pretty neat if they made it really slick.

They can do a TON with this console (even just stuff that others are already doing) and since it is taking off pretty well, they really need to add some killer features, I think they are dropping the ball here.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 24, 2007, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by zerostar View Post
I would imagine they could run off the SD card no?
It's possible (although I don't know about the technical aspects -- right now SD cards have pretty limited uses on the Wii). But I have a feeling Nintendo isn't going to be putting a lot of effort into making demo versions of games that only a small portion of the user base can use.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2007, 10:06 PM

Matt talking about GDC next week:

"I'm expecting the full launch of the Wii Game Demo Channel. I don't know if that's what it's called, but it's the original game equivalent to Virtual Console titles. These are new projects developed for Wii, but downloadable. Do I really need to go on? You know what I'm talking about. I also think Nintendo will go seriously aggressive -- big, big, big -- about supporting and encouraging third parties to go crazy making new "garage" style games for Wii."

From IGN Wii's Matt Cassassama SR388 Sanctuary - Something Wicked This Way Comes

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 24, 2007, 10:07 PM

That sounds to me like it's going to be like Xbox Live Arcade (original downloadable content), rather than offering demos of actual retail Wii games. Sounds like a good idea though.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2007, 11:39 AM

We finally got Excite Truck here in Oz !!! i picked it up on Friday and been playing it since. it's a lot more fun than i expected it to be. the last console racer that i played was PGR on the XBox, which was really good, so i was a bit worried about the non-realistic racing of Excite truck...turns out Excite truck is more of an adreline rush and more fun, to me anyway.

Another thing i like aout it, is it's a 'casual'(overused term, i know) racer, in that i dont have to bother with upgrades n stuff (which i wouldnt have anyway).

I'd definately recommed it....and ive been playing 2 player as well.... and it gets pretty competitive. my only gripe is the fact that it does not have 4 player online play....that would have been icing on the cake.... something to look forward to in Excite Truck II i guess (or maybe a downloadable upgrade ?).

Cheers

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2007, 12:02 PM

ExciteTruck is easily the most underrated Wii game for first generation games. I love it for quick pick up and play gameplay. Easy to play, hard to master.

Trauma Center: Second Opinion is very well-executed game with neat interface. Cursor moves like a butter which made me glad that it's just poor programming in few games with laggy cursor such as Madden 07 and even Wii main interface.

Madden 07 is not bad but I'm pretty disappointed with defense side gameplay, it isn't fun AT ALL. Passing the ball however is a blast.

Wii Play is fun little games but don't expect it to be anything like Wii Sports. One player is very boring, I prefer playing it with two players all the time. Buy it if you have someone to play with or just want the extra Wii-mote (like me.)

zerostar
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2007, 09:37 AM

Is anyone as excited as me for Mario Part 8? This is easily my most anticipated game! Anyone know if it IS coming this week? We played 7 last night and had a ton of fun, so I really want the Wii + Mario Party experience!!!

Bob Marley
Mar 4, 2007, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
GC games are dirty cheap over here -Spain-, between 9€ ($11) and 19€ ($24), you can find Batallion Wars, Odama, Geist and the alikes…

BTW, look what I got from Club Nintendo, it is a limited Zelda T.P. collectible, about 14 inches, and only ten got its way to Spain, cool huh?

Dude that is SO ****in hot

kick52
Baninated
Mar 4, 2007, 04:59 PM

i hope to be getting one with my b-day money.
the wi-fi stuff is neat, means it can connect to the net without any purchases.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 4, 2007, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by kick52 View Post
the wi-fi stuff is neat, means it can connect to the net without any purchases.
It does, but it's ironic that the only console to come with wi-fi included in every model has no online multiplayer whatsoever. (At least at the moment.)

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2007, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
It does, but it's ironic that the only console to come with wi-fi included in every model has no online multiplayer whatsoever. (At least at the moment.)
We all know it's in the works and forthcoming.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2007, 01:43 PM

If anyone's interested in the OO+Master Quest GameCube Disc, or Eternal Drakness (GameCube) im putting mine up for sale....

These are the only two games i cant get to work on my new Wii(PAL), they will work on N.American Wii's and GameCubes. Barely played either of em, theyre in near new condition, not a single mark on the discs. email/message me.

http://forums.macnn.com/59/marketpla...-darkness-gcn/

Cheers

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2007, 05:13 PM

I just got Nyko's Wii Power Station in today and it's a nice peripheral for Wii-motes. It's ridiculous at how power-hungry Wii-mote is so this is really nice to have (also especially the rubber grip handle):

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 5, 2007, 06:29 PM

How much did that cost you?

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2007, 06:47 PM

$29.99

You can buy it from here Ebames.com

kick52
Baninated
Mar 5, 2007, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Betts View Post
I just got Nyko's Wii Power Station in today and it's a nice peripheral for Wii-motes. It's ridiculous at how power-hungry Wii-mote is so this is really nice to have (also especially the rubber grip handle):

snip
Damn thats nice. Though they are US only.
I can't find a good place here that doesnt have a 2 week waiting list for my Wii yet, though.

EDIT: I found a similar, more crappy one on Amazon.
( Last edited by kick52; Mar 5, 2007 at 07:02 PM. )

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2007, 10:22 PM

Add me to the list of Wii owners, bought 2 of them on Sunday. Very much fun, very crappy game selection. This will get more play than the 360 easily!
Games picked up so far: Zelda, Elebits, Ice Age 2 (which was heavily discounted with the We B Toys purchase).
Next game I'll buy is likely to be Wario, which looks like fun.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2007, 07:02 AM

Had a question for you guys....

I just noticed that my Wii gets pretty darn warm(underneath) when it's turned off with Wii Connect-24 enabled. Do you guys' Wii do the same ?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 6, 2007, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
If anyone's interested in the OO+Master Quest GameCube Disc, or Eternal Drakness (GameCube) im putting mine up for sale....

These are the only two games i cant get to work on my new Wii(PAL), they will work on N.American Wii's and GameCubes. Barely played either of em, theyre in near new condition, not a single mark on the discs. email/message me.
How are you getting the other games to work in the Wii? Did you try this method?

Play Import GameCube games on your Wii

ajprice
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2007, 12:36 PM

Does that Nyko charger plug into mains power or one of the Wii's USB ports?

PurpleRabbit73
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2007, 01:24 PM

When is the UK version coming out?

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2007, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
How are you getting the other games to work in the Wii? Did you try this method?

Play Import GameCube games on your Wii
Im using freeloader, whch is a better way of doing what that dude was doing. you dont have to force the disc in, and there are no timing issues involed with freeloader.

The result would be the same with both these game tho cause they were both originally developed for the N64, which is why i am guessing this region-lock-work-around doesnt work.

I would love to keep the zelda disk, since it is a collectors item, but it wont serve it's purpose unfortunately, so i guess i'll be throwing these games up on eBay.

Cheers

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2007, 12:07 PM

Has anyone got this Java working with the Mac?, I keep getting an error that I suspect has to be with the port used to communicate with the Wii…

Once you download the jar file from here…

Wiisic - Play mp3 music on your Wii!

you would have to run it e.g. from Terminal, if the aforementioned jar file is placed in the Desktop, write this down: java -jar /Users/YOURUSER/Desktop/wiisic.jar

an UI would be launched,

once I do clic on Launch Server, I get this:

Any hint to avoid this?, no FireWall activated, albeit the only Services running here is FTP Access…

I have tried it with two different Macs, same effect, the Wii has no issues getting online -from the router which serves both Macs-.

Give it a try please.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2007, 12:50 PM

Well, I was told that port number has to be way higher than 80 on a Mac, I tried something like 1111 and it seems to be 'valid' but the output on the "Browse this on your Wii" field is far from any logic value,

nevertheless, this is what the Terminal says… "Now serving files in port 1111 from "/Users/AMB/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music".

kick52
Baninated
Mar 7, 2007, 01:05 PM

eh?
works for me (though i am accessing on my mac via localhost:1111)

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2007, 04:21 PM

What do you get as Browse this on your Wii output?

By localhost, you mean choosing 'lo0' instead of 'en1' as shown below? (Under Select Network Options…)

How does that compare with yours?. Thanks.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2007, 04:34 PM

OK, I got it working. But I had to select one folder containing some tracks versus one folder containing subfolders (with tracks inside them) to get it working. Well, it is fun.

kick52
Baninated
Mar 9, 2007, 07:19 PM

i used en1..
anyway, i'll pop into town tommorow to order a wii at gamestation. this is probably the best game station in the world. it has a whole large discount box of NES, SNES, N64, and various Atari games at low prices; N64s and Dreamcasts for £25 each, and loads and loads of old school games and consoles and franchise(spelling?) all that stuff.

i also hope to grab timesplitters 3 (great game) for 'cube and 2 controlers.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2007, 10:20 AM

What kind of card reader do you use to read SD cards with the Mac?

While I understand I can read FAT formatted drives, the Finder uses to collapse every time I give it a try… Virtual PC 7 (XP Home) on the other hand does is slowly (no USB 2 there) but rightly.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 12, 2007, 11:03 AM

You should be able to use just about any generic memory card reader to read SD cards on a Mac. What kind are you using?

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2007, 12:52 PM

Tecmo Bowl was released today within Virtual Console...w00t!

kick52
Baninated
Mar 12, 2007, 01:05 PM

I pre-ordered a Wii on Sunday.
Though there are another 236 people waiting, so it'll take about 3-5 weeks.

But atleast I'll get one.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2007, 06:05 PM

I finally got a chance to spend a lot of time with a Wii. (Well, about 3 hours).

Wii Sports was fun, but got boring after about an hour. I seriously have no desire to ever play it again. I played it, I get it, I got it. I'm done with it.

Building Mii's is fun, but still lacks a whole lot of options. My friends and I had more fun making versions of ourselves in Karaoke Revolutions, and they looked more like us too.

As for the graphics, when I first saw Wii Sports, I thought to myself... "OK, the lack of HD and horsepower isn't that bad, this looks decent enough..." But when I put in Zelda I was SHOCKED at how terrible the graphics were. It looked really blurry and definitely took me out of the game. I guess I've been spoiled by the 360.

I also realized after an hour of Zelda that I had no desire t play another Zelda game. This is the same basic game for the 4th time in a row. Time to take it to the next level Nintendo.

At any rate, it was a very mixed bag. We had a lot of problem moving the sensor bar around to get things to work right, but once we did the controller was a cool gimmick. I enjoyed using the slingshot in Zelda, it's definitely a cool way to do it. I feel better about waiting now. I do want a Wii, but I'm feeling very good about sitting tight until there are better games available.

Oh yeah, two more thought. It did not pass the "wife test" at my house. My wife grew up playing NES games but cannot play new complicated games with analog controls. She doesn't have the patience or desire to figure out the controls. I had hoped that the Wii would fare better, but it did not. She was able to play the games, but thought they were boring and didn't see what the fuss was about.

She spent a lot of time trying to find me a Wii for my birthday, but after seeing one in action she said these things to me...

"I don't get what the big deal is..." "It looks like a dumbed down version of the Xbox" "I don't like the interface, the Xbox looks a lot better" "It's the same old games as before"

And before anyone calls me a fanboy, my favorite gaming device of this generation is the DS.
( Last edited by ort888; Mar 12, 2007 at 06:15 PM. )

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Forum Links
Forum Rules