Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > options for live video OS->OS X ?

options for live video OS->OS X ?
aj1245
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2015, 11:36 PM

Anyone know what the options are for watching live video on the screen of your Mac from your OS X device?

Perhaps even to take the photos or capture the video there?

Or offering any further control? (Launching the focus / aperture lock, zooming...)

It seems to me that iPhones come with amazing cameras these days and it's a shame not to use them more fully.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 25, 2015, 05:48 AM

I think QT player used to be able to show the feed from an iPhone cam via USB. Perhaps it still does.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

aj1245  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2015, 12:22 AM

You are right. Thanks.

How to Record Your iPhone Screen in OS X Yosemite

My iPhone is 4S and pre-lightning so cannot presently test. However what's interesting in this article is that there is a "noticeable lag". If the iPhone camera app. were running (filling the screen of the iPhone) that would mean that movement viewed from the Mac would be very jumpy.

The tech specs for the iPhone 6 ( https://www.apple.com/iphone-6/specs/ ) say

"Video mirroring and video out support: Up to 1080p through Lightning Digital AV Adapter and Lightning to VGA Adapter (adapters sold separately)"

Anyone tried this?

So why would video play smoothly at 1080p over lightning to DVI yet screencasts over lightning to Quicktime on mac be jumpy (low fps)? The limitation can't be lightning.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 26, 2015, 12:42 AM

My guess:

The USB is the hangup. You can't squirt a DVI/HDMI signal into it as is, so some sort of transcoding is going on.

That's just a guess though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules