Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Using Keynote

Using Keynote
bc130
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2007, 09:33 PM

I'm building a large keynote presentation that will be a "video" with 100+ pictures. I'm trying to add music and I can get it to play but can figure out how to have it play for numerous slides. I will also want to fade one song out and start another...anyone have an easy answer? I read about the "object build" but I must be missing something.

El Gato
Dedicated MacNNer
May 15, 2007, 10:10 PM

Why don't you use iMovie instead and export it as a Quicktime file to play full screen?

bc130  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2007, 06:55 AM

Well, I suppose I could try - I've never used that application - just got a Mac a month ago. Is it easy to add captions, thought bubbles, music, etc?

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
May 16, 2007, 01:23 PM

Absolutely. There's a small learning curve, but just play around with it a little and you'll get the hang of it.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

bc130  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2007, 03:02 PM

Well, no time for the learning curve and actually I'm getting the hang of Keynote. Still looking for an answer to how do I get one song to stop on a particular slide so I can then start a new song. I can't believe that this isn't possible since Keynote is supposed to be superior to Powerpoint.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2007, 04:15 PM

I think you're going to find keynote easier than iMovie for a picture based slideshow.

egleband83
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2007, 08:57 PM

I agree, Keynote is a lot easier to make a quick photoslide show. Unfortunately it doesn't do very well with multiple audio tracks.
The only solution that I've come up with is to calculate the timings of the slide duration + transition times for the group of slides I want that particular song to play on.
Then I'll bring all of the tracks that i'm using into Audacity (free open source audio editor) or GarageBand and edit them into one large MP3 track that has the songs trimmed and placed according to the calculations.
It's very tedious, but the only solution that I've come up with thus far.
A switcher as of 8/20/03 and loving every moment of it!
15.4" 2.2ghz MBP

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2007, 09:28 PM

Or you can do your slideshow, and then score it in Garageband. I think that would be easier.

El Gato
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2007, 12:11 AM

Or, um, just use iMovie where you can set up the pics, music, captions, and transitions all in one app.

Timing the slides and transitions in Keynote and then trying to match the audio up in Garageband sounds infinitely more tedious.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2007, 02:21 AM

I've always found iMovie to be a complete dog to do this in. It's unstable, difficult to time transitions properly, hard to do captions that appear with the right timing etc. I hate it for that. It's ok for editing video, horrible for making a slideshow.

Forum Links
Forum Rules