Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Apple thinks Finder can upload with FTP

Apple thinks Finder can upload with FTP
Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 20, 2007, 09:15 PM

Apple's Tip of the Day on the default Safari start page is a helpful guide to using the Finder to send someone files through FTP. It seems so simple, but somehow I can't seem to make it work. I guess I'm just not "pro" enough.

EDIT: Apple took it down, but it still exists in Google's cache.
( Last edited by Chuckit; Jun 21, 2007 at 04:16 PM. )
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

El Gato
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 20, 2007, 10:03 PM

Would be nice, but I don't think this ever worked. The Finder mounts FTP drives/folders as read-only. You can copy files from the FTP to your local drive, but not to the remote.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2007, 10:19 PM

When I saw your post, I thought that perhaps the 10.4.10 update, just released, might have changed something. Nope! It still doesn't let me upload via FTP, and on top of that, it still doesn't even list the files that are already in the directory - it just shows a blank window.

Oh well, I just about never use FTP anyway.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2007, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Apple's Tip of the Day on the default Safari start page is a helpful guide to using the Finder to send someone files through FTP. It seems so simple, but somehow I can't seem to make it work. I guess I'm just not "pro" enough.
FTP support in the Finder is still read-only, no?

What is Apple talking about?

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2007, 12:31 AM

Wow! I guess I'm not quite Pro enough then, because that **** still doesn't work here.

Before they take it down:

Tip of the Week

Need to email somebody a file that’s larger than his 5MB email limit? Use FTP, because you can upload huge files with no restriction. You probably already knew that, but did you know that you don’t have to buy a third-party FTP client to FTP your files? That’s right baby, you can do it right from within Tiger. Here’s how: Go to the Finder’s Go menu, and choose Connect to Server. When the dialog appears, just type the FTP address where you want the file to go and click Connect. You may either get directly connected, or depending on whose server you’re connecting to, it may ask you for your Name and Password (that keeps people from just jumping on anyone’s server and uploading files at random).

Once you’re “in,” you’ll see a folder — now you can just drag-and-drop the file you want to transfer into that folder and the transfer will begin.
So ... does Apple take that down, or do they add a quick patch once they realize the dumbass who writes these "tips" doesn't know what they're on about?

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2007, 07:23 AM

I hate Finder.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2007, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by MindFad View Post
So ... does Apple take that down, or do they add a quick patch once they realize the dumbass who writes these "tips" doesn't know what they're on about?
I'd have guessed that the author was using some plug-in and not realizing it when he wrote that 'tip', but he specifically states that there is no plugin being used.

Perhaps this is a feature of 10.5 and was released a few months too early?

Either way, there is no way that I know of or have heard of to write to FTP from the Finder without a 3rd party plugin or the like.

Silly Apple

V

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2007, 03:50 PM

Apple can be so cute sometimes. FTP via the Finder...
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Chuckit  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2007, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
I'd have guessed that the author was using some plug-in and not realizing it when he wrote that 'tip', but he specifically states that there is no plugin being used.

Perhaps this is a feature of 10.5 and was released a few months too early?
It also said "in Tiger" at the end of the article. I'd quote it, but it looks like somebody at Apple noticed the article and axed it. Oops!
Chuck
___

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2007, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
It also said "in Tiger" at the end of the article. I'd quote it, but it looks like somebody at Apple noticed the article and axed it. Oops!
Ah but the moments of joy we had taking potshots at Apple for being silly will never be lost

V

Chuckit  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2007, 04:17 PM

Actually, now that they've noticed it, I think I'm off to check Apple's job listing boards.
Chuck
___

Forum Links
Forum Rules