Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PowerBook 800 vs 867: operating noise levels?

PowerBook 800 vs 867: operating noise levels?
rle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2002, 04:29 AM

I have the possibility of upgrading without personal cost to either an 800 or 867 from a 667 dvi. The latter functions virtually silently, including periods involving some intensive Photoshop work. My concern is which of the two models (800 or 867) functions more quietly, or are they both about the same in this regard. Any comments appreciated.

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2002, 05:23 AM

With no personal experience, I�d say they�re both about the same, the additional 67 MHz do not make the CPU consume noticeably more power.

Of course there might be a difference if Apple changed the design...#

PS: You might wanna read this: http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=132149
( Last edited by D'Espice; Nov 18, 2002 at 05:33 AM. )
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2002, 06:54 AM

I have two friends with 800s and they are MUCH quieter than my 550 (which is really quiet too ) if they are following that trend the 867 should be pretty damn quiet.

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2002, 07:34 AM

Originally posted by Axo1ot1:
I have two friends with 800s and they are MUCH quieter than my 550 (which is really quiet too ) if they are following that trend the 867 should be pretty damn quiet.
What exactly is noisy about your 550? Is it the harddrive or the CPU fan? These are the only two components in a Notebook that actually make noise.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one

rle  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2002, 08:21 AM

Thanks for the initial responses. It does not appear to be ineluctable that there will be a decline in operating noise, although granted that this is far from the primary concern of most users. From initial scattered reports, there does seem to be some problem with the 867, where there may have been a trade-off for lower casing heat dissipation and more obtrusive fan cooling. Since I only might use the slightly increased processing speed episodically, an additional question that I should have asked is whether the 867 allows for the reduction in processing speed in Energy Saver that the 800 does?

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2002, 08:30 AM

Originally posted by rle:
Thanks for the initial responses. It does not appear to be ineluctable that there will be a decline in operating noise, although granted that this is far from the primary concern of most users. From initial scattered reports, there does seem to be some problem with the 867, where there may have been a trade-off for lower casing heat dissipation and more obtrusive fan cooling. Since I only might use the slightly increased processing speed episodically, an additional question that I should have asked is whether the 867 allows for the reduction in processing speed in Energy Saver that the 800 does?
AFAIK it does reduce processing speed and also turn off the L3 cache (which, FYI, the 800 MHz does not have).

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 18, 2002, 12:41 PM

Since I only might use the slightly increased processing speed episodically, an additional question that I should have asked is whether the 867 allows for the reduction in processing speed in Energy Saver that the 800 does?
I can only speculate about the 867, but believe the speed can be reduced. At least that is the case with the 1GHz model, which can be slowed to 666MHz. (Scary figure?)

gg1234
Nov 18, 2002, 12:55 PM

AFAIK it does reduce processing speed and also turn off the L3 cache (which, FYI, the 800 MHz does not have).
FWIW, the 800 does have an L3 cache. This is from their hardware developer note: "The data storage for the L3 cache is 1 MB of DDR SRAM running at a clock speed ratio of 4:1. The tag storage for the L3 cache is built into the microprocessor."

Forum Links
Forum Rules