Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Web design: Resolutions...?

Web design: Resolutions...?
HamSandwich
May 26, 2012, 12:32 PM

Hey!

I created a website recently for my mum:
Willkommen auf design-books.de

There are some things open that I didn't correct yet, but my main worry are resolutions. I don't know. Any advice? How do you do that?
I just built the page so that it looks good on my laptop (1280x800) and I tried on her iMac too (20", 1600x1000 or so) and it looks very good to me. But higher resolutions? I never understood how the most recent and biggest Apple displays can have so high resolutions - doesn't it break apart most websites? What to do?

Any advice would help...
Pete

andi*pandi
May 26, 2012, 01:08 PM

Best practice currently is to make your site responsive to whatever size display, mobile etc that a user could have. However, within reason since there is also a good starter size for readability and having a site expand to 1920 wide in most cases is not readable. Current "best" size is around 960px wide for desktop.

I think you did a good job with your mom's site. Looks nice and organized (from what I can tell without reading German!)

I would put more space between the pictures on left and the descriptive text next to it, maybe make that text column wider as well. If you made the container a little taller, when the description text runs long there wouldn't be a jump clicking in the gallery as the text gets longer and shorter. Kind of an annoying jump.

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 26, 2012, 03:15 PM

How would higher resolution screens break apart websites? Has anyone used a full screen web browser since >1024x768 displays arrived?

Design for about 1000 pixels wide. Scale elegantly down to about 750 wide.

HamSandwich
May 27, 2012, 07:04 AM

Hey!
Thanks for the answers! So my main concern are really resolutions - for now, I would just leave it as is, on the displays on which I checked, it always looked alright. I also checked on various browsers, and it was ok. If no one totally disagrees, I won't change the general size then.

Thanks for the other comments, too - the jumping is annoying and I actually got over that already; we are still changing the text a bit, so I'm going to finish that when the texts are done, so the jumping is going to go away, too.

Aside of the resolution, there is one thing: We also wanted to do an English version; as there is not much text, this would be not so difficult. I thought I could insert a JavaScript (or so) that automatically detects language (German, or English for not German); can you help there? Dunno...

Thanks!
Pete

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 20, 2012, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by hashimotojames View Post
Before starting a web designing all web designers need to conform about their goal because it can improve effectiveness and quality of our website. Web designer should have do must work under clients needs and expectation.
Yes, getting that do-must work under your clients' expectations is vital.

Forum Links
Forum Rules