Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > what is "Noticeboard?"

what is "Noticeboard?"
rotuts
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2014, 01:42 PM

i get this now from time to time:

"" Noticeboard
wants to connect to swscan.apple.com on port 443 (https) ""

whats this about ? 'safe' ?
MacPro 2.66 dual 3GB RAM 1.5 TB HD's
24" + 21" Samsung flat panels
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 30, 2014, 03:40 PM

If it wants to connect to anything.apple.com, it's probably safe.

Honestly, if you can't interpret the answers you get from googling this stuff, my advice is this:

1.) Don't pirate software. Not saying you do, but really, that's the only real reason an ordinary layperson should be running something like Little Snitch for.
2.) Install only stuff directly from the Mac App Store, or, if you think you need something from elsewhere, ask here about that software.
3.) FORGET about Little Snitch. It's causing you way more headaches and provoking more insecurity on your part than running without it would.

Ω
Mac Elite
May 1, 2014, 06:05 AM

Disagree. LS is one of the first things I download when setting up a new puter. I like to know who is trying to phone home.
"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 1, 2014, 07:01 AM

You're not an ordinary layperson.

If you can't interpret the results you get from googling, you're probably better off following my advice.

Ω
Mac Elite
May 1, 2014, 07:17 AM

Googling? I Bing!

My problem is that my machine is still PPC and that my default search engines are all bad. If someone can tell me how to set DuckDuckGo on 10.5.8 then I am all ears.

To the OP, most things to the mothership Apple tend to be fine and are for your benefit. You have paid for the privilege of being in the apple garden. It is the fringes that I worry about. And Adobe.
"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

rotuts  (op)
Mac Elite
May 1, 2014, 08:16 AM

I do not have pirated software. I got LS as a trial on 10.5.8 and now I bought it for just one thing on 10.6.8:

I block everything from Google, the want to connect several times a day

Goggle is up to no good sen from my point of view.

that being said, i never thought to 'google'

Noticeboard Ill allow apple.con never google
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

rotuts  (op)
Mac Elite
May 1, 2014, 12:39 PM

BTW Ive done my best to find out what 'noticeboard' is and all i can find out is it has someting to do w the App store.

as i havent used the app store in a zillion years, and cant find out what's actually going on

Ill pass on noticeboard.

but Google the Interrogator is the Killer here.
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

P
May 1, 2014, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Ω View Post
My problem is that my machine is still PPC and that my default search engines are all bad. If someone can tell me how to set DuckDuckGo on 10.5.8 then I am all ears.
Open /etc/hosts as root (with sudo) and point search.yahoo.com to the IP of the search engine of your choice - look it up with nslookup. Then select Yahoo as the search engine in Safari.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

ghporter
Administrator
May 2, 2014, 06:50 AM

It's not a problem to want to block some sites' access to your computer. What is a problem is using tools that have plenty of horsepower without knowing enough about them to know what their error messages and notifications mean. At the least, a Little Snitch user should read the documentation from the developer. Start here, at Objective Development's support page, select "Little Snitch," and study. That is one powerful tool; it can easily tell you more than you need to know, and unless you can personally correlate that information to everything else going on with your machine, you can cause a lot of headaches for yourself.

While I understand not fully trusting Google as a Massive Corporate Entity, I personally believe that they are far less likely to be "up to no good" than they are to be "hoping to cash in on group dynamics and user trends." Being up to no good would require a lot more resources than my personal surfing and shopping habits could possibly be worth to them, but seeing how thousands of people every second surf, search and shop is a goldmine to advertisers. Individual data is useless, but how bunches of people are behaving is what drives advertising.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

rotuts  (op)
Mac Elite
May 3, 2014, 11:18 AM

I agree

however, they never really asked permission, in a transparent way.

maybe deep down in the Mumbo-Jumbo their lawyers inserted some incomprehensible

disclaimer, still, Id rather they Keep Out.
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

akent35
Banned
May 6, 2014, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
If it wants to connect to anything.apple.com, it's probably safe.

Honestly, if you can't interpret the answers you get from googling this stuff, my advice is this:

1.) Don't pirate software. Not saying you do, but really, that's the only real reason an ordinary layperson should be running something like Little Snitch for.
2.) Install only stuff directly from the Mac App Store, or, if you think you need something from elsewhere, ask here about that software.
3.) FORGET about Little Snitch. It's causing you way more headaches and provoking more insecurity on your part than running without it would.
#1 is fine, but you are way off base with #2 and #3. I have, on numerous occasions, downloaded and installed software from trusted sites. And, in many cases, good, reliable software (and updates) are not always available from the Mac App Store. For example, why download an update for TechTool Pro, Disk Warrior, etc., from the Mac App Store (assuming its available, which in quite a few cases it's not)? I have downloaded updates for TechTool Pro many times directly from Micromat's site, and never had an issue.

Another good example is an update for the Mac OS. I always (when applicable, which is in most cases) want to install the Combo Updater. I also want to have a copy of that downloaded file available. Hence, I will usually wait a day or so until such an updater appears on Apple Mac OS X Software & Apps - Discover & Download : MacUpdate, and download it from there.

As for Little Snitch, it is a fine product, and consistently receives rave reviews. There is nothing wrong with using a product that has been extensively tested, and proven to be reliable.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2014, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by akent35 View Post
As for Little Snitch, it is a fine product, and consistently receives rave reviews. There is nothing wrong with using a product that has been extensively tested, and proven to be reliable.
Rave reviews, extensively tested and reliable means nothing if you don't know how to correctly use a powerful tool. You can still do much damage if you don't know what you're doing. Just saying.

-t

akent35
Banned
May 7, 2014, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Rave reviews, extensively tested and reliable means nothing if you don't know how to correctly use a powerful tool. You can still do much damage if you don't know what you're doing. Just saying.

-t
That's obvious, and yes, one needs to know how to use any product correctly and effectively.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2014, 01:27 PM

Well, if it's obvious, it seems strange that you made a point of disagreeing with what I wrote.

akent35
Banned
May 7, 2014, 01:49 PM

Well, if it's obvious, it seems strange that you made a point of disagreeing with what I wrote.
OK, now I see that the Noticeboard "message" is something that Little Snitch generates. I stand corrected on that.

But, the assertion you made in #2 is just plain wrong. Will you stand corrected on that?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2014, 02:50 PM

Nope.

For clueless casual users like the one I was talking to, who cannot make heads nor tails of Little Snitch messages despite Google at their disposal (which is perfectly fine; there's plenty of subjects I'm completely clueless about despite using them every day), by far the simplest approach to security is to just stick to stuff that can be downloaded off the Mac App Store. If users like that think they need additional software, it's best to ask about it beforehand in places like this. How do you think shit like MacKeeper gets installed?

Seems just as obvious.

akent35
Banned
May 8, 2014, 11:29 AM

Nope.
Then I guess you are narrow minded, clueless, and can't act like a man. Software such as TechTool Pro, Adobe Flash Player, Adobe Acrobat Pro, TurboTax, Firefox, Microsoft Office, etc. are not available via the App Store. In fact, TurboTax will let one know of an update immediately after it is launched. And, it does that check every time.

And, of course, there are trusted sites like Apple Mac OS X Software & Apps - Discover & Download : MacUpdate and Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com that one can obtain software updates from. Some of them do connect to the App store, but most do not.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 8, 2014, 12:59 PM

Which part of "ask about it beforehand" did you not understand before deciding to insult me?

None of that software you list is software that most casual users "need".

akent35
Banned
May 8, 2014, 01:33 PM

Which part of "ask about it beforehand" did you not understand before deciding to insult me?

None of that software you list is software that most casual users "need".
First of all, you've insulted me before (remember a number of your narrow minded statements during the "Onyx" discussion; there are other instances too). What goes around, comes around.

Secondly, most of that software I listed is used by most casual users, so obviously there is a need for it. About the only one that might not be used by "most" people is TurboTax. But then, if one wants to do their taxes by hand, fine. (By the way, to use an earlier narrow minded statement of yours, TurboTax is not a waste of my time, nor my money. It's quite the opposite. But, I doubt you can grasp such a simple concept).

Third, that was only a small list. I guess you don't comprehend the use of "etc." that I used in my post above.

Fourth, your blanket statement, "Install only stuff directly from the Mac App Store", is just plain wrong! I provided a number of valid, useful examples.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 8, 2014, 04:51 PM

I don't recall having been insulting, but if people obstinately reiterate things that are just plain WRONG on a forum where they might be taken as advice, I tend to make my point very clearly eventually. Same with people claiming that cloning is a backup.

As for your list:
Techtool Pro is not used by casual users, and shouldn't be used casually.

Microsoft Office is not needed by most casual users, though many obviously use it (not nearly as many as used to, though). Most on direct recommendation, which qualifies as "asking beforehand".

Acrobat PRO is most certainly not something any casual user needs, and I haven't met anybody in years for whom the Reader was less nuisance than benefit. I haven't needed Adobe Reader in a decade.

Firefox is not needed by casual users. I kept it around for years, but not having opened it in three years, I finally trashed it last month.

Flash...Flash. Headache. Nuisance. Security nightmare. If people follow my advice and ASK BEFOREHAND, the advice commonly given is "Don't. Install Chrome if you find you need Flash for anything."

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 8, 2014, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by akent35 View Post
Fourth, your blanket statement, "Install only stuff directly from the Mac App Store", is just plain wrong! I provided a number of valid, useful examples.
Oh, allow me, if I may:

ghporter
Administrator
May 8, 2014, 07:42 PM

I stuck a fork in it...it's done.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules