Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Apple LC II, strange acoustic error codes on startup, please help!

Apple LC II, strange acoustic error codes on startup, please help!
euphras
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2004, 12:57 PM

So i�ve got my hands on an old LC II, tried to power it up, start chime is coming but then nothing further happens, the screen stays black and exactly after 85 seconds strange acoustic error codes can be heard. Sometimes it sound like a full btraking car and then a sound like it�s crashing against a wall, sometimes it sounds like a big rusty old chain that is pulled through a hawsepipe. Does anyone know what meaning these strange sounds have?

Pat

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2004, 03:07 PM

Thats a memory problem I think.

Kami
Dec 10, 2004, 12:19 AM

Sounds like a RAM problem. Pull the RAM out of the slot and reboot. There is 4 MB RAM soldered on the logic board.

euphras  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2004, 04:51 PM

Then the motherboard RAM seems toasted, i tried it several times with pulled VRAM and RAM and the sound still occured

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2004, 02:07 AM

no ram (or video ram) will give the error. I'm guessing you tried it with video ram and just the onbourd ram?

euphras  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2004, 12:06 PM

The LC II has "stock" VRAM (256 kB) and RAM (4 MB) onboard. My machine had both the VRAM (one socket) and RAM upgrade (two sockets). I tried to start with just the onboard RAM/VRAM and still got the error sound, that�s why i guess the onboard VRAM/RAM (and therefore the mainboard) is toasted.....unfortunately

But thanks for your input!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2004, 08:46 PM

Wow, this is the week of the LC on the Classic forum. If I had known people would still be interested in LCs I wouldn't have let my mother throw the box ours was in outside in the elements a decade or so ago. Anyone want my old Quadra 650?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2004, 01:03 PM

No but i'll take the 040 chip in it

Forum Links
Forum Rules