Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > 190,000 miles. Woot.

190,000 miles. Woot.
suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Aug 5, 2005, 09:59 AM

Hit 190,000.

Burns no oil, no leaks, still pulls 15.5s, and runs great. Only problem I have is the crankshaft is connected to the torque convertor via a cheap $18 'flexplate', which has a crack, which makes a 'rattle' noise at all RPMs. So basically my car sounds like it has a bad engine. In order to replace said $18 part, I have to drop the exhaust, pull out both axles, and drop the transmission. Blech. So it can stay rattley.

Post pics of your high mileage rides!

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2005, 10:54 AM

I hit 10,000 and immediately retired.

Picture? Sure...

RAzaRazor
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2005, 06:01 PM

Just passed 2000 miles on my new GTO. Woo!

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 5, 2005, 06:03 PM

100.000 miles on my Wolkswagen Golf '96. I love that car.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2005, 06:15 PM

I just rolled 240,000 on my '96 Cavalier. Fuel pump and alternator are the only real mechanical problems I've had. Runs beautifully.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

bstone
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2005, 06:16 PM

160k miles on my 93 Ford Explorer. I take it on 15k mile road trips every summer and live in it for a month. Forget motel rooms when you got all the comforts of an old explorer!
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2005, 07:23 PM

102,000 on my 92' Camry, I got it at 70,000. Other than 2 nails in one of my new yokohama tires its been a great car for me.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2005, 01:41 AM

I have a friend with an old toyota tercel that has 350 000 kms and only can't drive because the frame is rusting out. Runs fine.

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2005, 01:51 AM

207,000 miles on my '95 Jeep G.C. I love that car.

OogaBooga
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2005, 02:43 AM

23 miles on my Razor™ scooter.

jcadam
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2005, 03:15 AM

33k miles on my 2001 Ford Focus. 2k miles on my 2005 Dodge Caravan. w00t......
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2005, 03:40 AM

160 000 Miles (257 000KM) and still running strong!

I gotta replace my Drive Axle (Part in hand) because I tore a CV Boot, and my front routers are warn cuz I left the brakes tooooo long.

Major work I will be starting soon if I can get a second car for a short term is rebuilding the frame which has rusted out. That will prob take me a couple months since i only have a few days a week to work on it. When I do that im going to sand the paint off, prime it and then transport it to a paint place to get a brand new paint job

Oh and shes a 1987, prob older then many of the posters here at the forum
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Railroader
Banned
Aug 6, 2005, 04:24 AM

36K on my '04 Chevrolet Cavalier. I figure it'll take about 4 more years to get to 200K

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2005, 04:37 AM

forgot to add in my post

my 4 year long term plan to turn my Prelude from what I posted already into this
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Aug 6, 2005, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by suvsr4terrorists
Post pics of your high mileage rides!
I'll see if I can dig up a pic of my ex-wife...

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2005, 10:49 AM

Snap!

suvsr4terrorists  (op)
Baninated
Aug 6, 2005, 10:56 AM

K, like half the cars in this thread aren't high mileage. Post elsewhere with your pussy assed new cars. This is for HIGH MILEAGE cars, like over 150,000 miles.

suvsr4terrorists  (op)
Baninated
Aug 6, 2005, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Athens
160 000 Miles (257 000KM) and still running strong!
My wife's honda has 222,000 miles. It's an 89 Accord LX.

I gotta replace my Drive Axle (Part in hand) because I tore a CV Boot, and my front routers are warn cuz I left the brakes tooooo long.
Why did you capitalize 'drive axle'? Anyway, start calling them either a driveshaft or a halfshaft, since that's what most people call them. Also, they are spelled ROTORS, not routers. Routers are computer related. Rotors are circular pieces of metal that I hope you're referring to. WORN is the correct word you were looking for, warn means to 'warn' = beware, that type of thing. Did your mom do meth while she was pregnant with you?

Major work I will be starting soon if I can get a second car for a short term is rebuilding the frame which has rusted out. That will prob take me a couple months since i only have a few days a week to work on it. When I do that im going to sand the paint off, prime it and then transport it to a paint place to get a brand new paint job
You realize that it's a unibody, not a body on chassis full framed car. That said, I don't quite see how you're going to replace the frame. Also, even if you did have the welding experience to do so, considering you don't have the cash for a better car, or a parts car, I don't see why you are putting so much time and work into a freakin 87 honda. That's just stupid. Just sell yours and get one in better shape.

suvsr4terrorists  (op)
Baninated
Aug 6, 2005, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Athens
forgot to add in my post

my 4 year long term plan to turn my Prelude from what I posted already into this
Wow. That is just ****ing ghetto as all hell. You'll fit right in if you ever visit the rednecks in the USA.

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 6, 2005, 11:23 AM

Cash how in ANY WAY does your car pull 15.5s?

What mods have you done to it to get it out of the 16s that you claimed it did not to long ago?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2005, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by keekeeree
I'll see if I can dig up a pic of my ex-wife...

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 6, 2005, 11:30 AM

Wow. That is just ****ing ghetto as all hell. You'll fit right in if you ever visit the rednecks in the USA.
Nope, all the rednecks drive Subaru wagons. Recent trend.

suvsr4terrorists  (op)
Baninated
Aug 6, 2005, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
Cash how in ANY WAY does your car pull 15.5s?

What mods have you done to it to get it out of the 16s that you claimed it did not to long ago?
I ran a 16.7 on a 96 degree day after driving 1.5 hours to get there. My engine was hot. My transmission was hot. Because of all the heat, I did NOT preload my transmission. I just had my foot on the brake, and when the light turned green I jabbed the gas.

Since then, I installed the full stebro stainless exhaust system, removed the center cat and put in the stainless stebro euro resonator, and then I ran my car again, only I preloaded the automatic transmission this time. Put the brake down, and then put the gas down til it can barely hold it. Bam. 15.5s. Still, my car was supposed to run 15.5s stock, so I guess the stebro only helped gain what power I've lost over 190,000 miles.

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2005, 02:44 PM

my Chevy Tahoe just hit the 191,000 miles mark.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2005, 04:44 PM

I ran a 16.7 on a 96 degree day after driving 1.5 hours to get there. My engine was hot. My transmission was hot. Because of all the heat, I did NOT preload my transmission. I just had my foot on the brake, and when the light turned green I jabbed the gas.
turning on the heat in the cabin can help cool the engine down, because it uses an intercooler to transfer either heat from the engine or cool air from the coolant system, might not be as hot(for the engine)

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2005, 05:10 PM

My 1989 Ford Aerostar has 382,000 miles, and still running. Although, I may have to replace the exhaust soon.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2005, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by macaddict0001
turning on the heat in the cabin can help cool the engine down, because it uses an intercooler to transfer either heat from the engine or cool air from the coolant system, might not be as hot(for the engine)
^ That is 100% true. It saved me from becoming stranded on the road with an overheating motor in 2003.

My car? 110,000 miles Mazda 626, V6 made in 1994. I only hate its low MPG, but it is such a smooth ride. Only mechanical problems: bad O2 sensors and charge light coming on when RPM>2000 :/
( Last edited by The Godfather; Aug 7, 2005 at 02:29 AM. )

SSharon
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2005, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by Buckaroo
My 1989 Ford Aerostar has 382,000 miles, and still running. Although, I may have to replace the exhaust soon.
A Ford you say? I don't believe you. Just kidding, I do, but I am in shock.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

suvsr4terrorists  (op)
Baninated
Aug 7, 2005, 02:40 AM

Intercooler? Really? Gee, could you clairify? God I feel smart next to all these ****tards.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2005, 04:35 AM

Intercooler? Really? Gee, could you clairify? God I feel smart next to all these ****tards.
You said your car was hot and I offered a tip.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 7, 2005, 05:17 AM

You said your car was hot and I offered a tip.
He was trying to comment that you used the wrong terminology to describe a part. He's not a good communicator. He has a poor ability to educate others. It probably comes from those high test scrores he says he has.

An intercooler cools the air going through the air intake and then into the engine. You meant to say heat exchanger when you were referring to the heater core.

But your advice was 100% correct in theory. We all knew what you meant even if you were using the incorrect words.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2005, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by SSharon
A Ford you say? I don't believe you. Just kidding, I do, but I am in shock.
It is true. Of course, I have replaced many parts. I overhauled the engine almost at aprox. 280,000 miles. and the transmission has been overhauled several times. I got it overhauled by AAMCO the first time I had problems and I paid for the llifetime warranty, so all subsequent rebuilds were free.

At 220,000 miles, I replaced the rear axel with a different ratio rear axle, so actual milage is apprx. 406,000 miles. The odometer is stuck at 182,000 since the 100,000 never rolls over to 200,000. It's digital display.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2005, 11:46 AM

double post

zerostar
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2005, 11:46 AM

My highest mileage car was a 92 Honda Civic EX with 285,000 miles, I only ever rebuilt the master cylinder.

I gave the care to my cousin who was just turning 18, it was still perfect and everything still worked (power windows, moon roof, etc.) the spedo/odomoter died at 375,000 miles (which it still says to this day) and he drives it every day to school, I think the only thing he has ever done to it besides normal maintenance is have the transmission replaced

I have had good luck with older cars and have never been stranded or broke down.

I don't have a current car to rack up miles on as my job pays for my car so I have a new one on lease every 2-3 years, currently a 2005 Infiniti G35 coupe, this is the first car I have ever thought of actually buying after leasing one for a few years.

an0therdumbsn
Aug 7, 2005, 02:56 PM

just passed 4k on my corolla '05

suvsr4terrorists  (op)
Baninated
Aug 7, 2005, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by an0therdumbsn
just passed 4k on my corolla '05
How is that high mileage? Post about your stupid corolla somewhere else please.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2005, 03:54 PM

i got a used 87 buick lesabre from my future brother in law - it has almost 150,000 on it

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

OpenStep
Senior User
Aug 7, 2005, 06:45 PM

How is that high mileage? Post about your stupid corolla somewhere else please.
post about your fagass subaru somewhere else dipshit

BTW, 60,000 miles on my BMW X5

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2005, 07:02 PM

The 04 Cavalier is one of the worst cars I've ever been in or around, and ugly too.

Oh, 158,000 on my 94 Intrepid. Burns no oil, tranny is still liquid smooth, but the front end needs a set of struts.

Too bad i will be sh!tcanning it for an 02 Tacoma this winter.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2005, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by OpenStep

Why are you even here?

suvsr4terrorists  (op)
Baninated
Aug 7, 2005, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by OpenStep

READ THE ****ING FIRST POST DUMBASS. This thread is for HIGH MILEAGE vehicles. Someone posts that their brand new corolla has x amount of unimpressive miles? WTF?

I hope your SUV flips over and you're trapped inside it, goon.

OpenStep
Senior User
Aug 7, 2005, 11:15 PM

READ THE ****ING FIRST POST DUMBASS. This thread is for HIGH MILEAGE vehicles. Someone posts that their brand new corolla has x amount of unimpressive miles? WTF?

You got it, moron

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2005, 01:08 AM

Isn't that the case for all SUV's in accidents?

I have never seen an SUV in an accident that hasn't flipped over. You bump it with your hip and the thing will flip over.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 8, 2005, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by sek929
The 04 Cavalier is one of the worst cars I've ever been in or around, and ugly too.

Oh, 158,000 on my 94 Intrepid. Burns no oil, tranny is still liquid smooth, but the front end needs a set of struts.

Too bad i will be sh!tcanning it for an 02 Tacoma this winter.
34 MPG in the cheapest American union made car. And that's getting on the gas while hauling 4 good sized guys in a car pool at 80 MPH.

Sure it's not the best looking car out there, what do you expect for $12,000? A Lexus? I'm certainly not worried about anyone stealing it. Parts are ultra cheap too IF it ever breaks down.

Actually, it's got higher quality ratings and reliability ratings than most German and Japanese made cars.

150 HP for a small 4-cylinder.

I thought you were supposed to be the guy who (not the helper mind you) made cabinets that made people cry. You carry them around in that Intrepid of yours? Must be tiny cabinets.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 8, 2005, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by Buckaroo
Isn't that the case for all SUV's in accidents?

I have never seen an SUV in an accident that hasn't flipped over. You bump it with your hip and the thing will flip over.
Uh... no, The world is not defined by your experiences.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 8, 2005, 01:37 AM

No I usually would carry them in a Chevy 2500 Van, or the F450 Diesel with the 8x12 dump bed. My car just brings me to the trucks.

My friend has an 03 cavalier and besides driving like a cheap peice of plastic at 35,000 miles it already needed a new sending unit, fuel lines, and a flushing of the entire fuel system. He bought this attrocity for 7000 and it was a horrible mistake.

I laugh at your quality ratings, your trying to convince me a CAVALIER is better than a Honda or Toyota? I don't think so.

mindwaves
Aug 8, 2005, 01:43 AM

My 1999 Pontiac Sunfire has about 100k miles on it. My 2005 Civic has about 3k miles and just for reference, my Sunfire outaccelerates my Civic and has more power going up hills.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 8, 2005, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by sek929
No I usually would carry them in a Chevy 2500 Van, or the F450 Diesel with the 8x12 dump bed. My car just brings me to the trucks.

My friend has an 03 cavalier and besides driving like a cheap peice of plastic at 35,000 miles it already needed a new sending unit, fuel lines, and a flushing of the entire fuel system. He bought this attrocity for 7000 and it was a horrible mistake.

I laugh at your quality ratings, your trying to convince me a CAVALIER is better than a Honda or Toyota? I don't think so.
Did he buy it used? Maybe that's the problem eh? How did the previous owner treat it and why would he sell a one year old car for about half it's new price? Gotta make you wonder.

You don't think the cheapest Toyota feels like a piece of cheap plastic? Maybe you better go drive one and reaquaint your self. The doors feel like cheap paper thin storm doors for a house. Try going 80 MPH with 4 guys in one and expect 34 MPH in one.

You better check JD Powers. They back me up bub. I am talking about same class vehicles... not Honda Accords or other upscale models, but similarly priced and speced out models.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 8, 2005, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by mindwaves
My 1999 Pontiac Sunfire has about 100k miles on it. My 2005 Civic has about 3k miles and just for reference, my Sunfire outaccelerates my Civic and has more power going up hills.
Thank you. Sek929 won't believe you though. He'll just have to drive more expensive to fix, and overall cost of ownership vehicles, until he figures it out on his own.

baw
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2005, 01:54 AM

Meh, my 1994 Ford Ranger has over 211,000 miles on it. No major parts replaced yet.

Odometer pics: http://homepage.mac.com/brianwilliam...toAlbum10.html
( Last edited by baw; Aug 8, 2005 at 02:04 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules