Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook to be fixed under AppleCare...what to to before giving it away?

Powerbook to be fixed under AppleCare...what to to before giving it away?
euphras
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2004, 04:15 PM

So finally the combo drive of my 2002 667 MHz DVI Titanium PB gave it up, the battery holds only energy for about half an hour and the case starts to "paint-flake" (the only major design flaw of the Ti�s). I have AppleCare. What does it cover? My dealer told me, that dying batteries are covered (at the timepoint of buying AC, may 2003). The optical drive will definitely be covered but what about the case? Someone here at Macnn (don�t recall the username) told me that Apple has accepted that the "paint flaking" is a design flaw and exchanges the case when the unit is brought in for repair. Is there any written information available that i can show off my dealer???!

And what to do before bringing that baby in?

Backup harddisk?

Making close-up photos of the case to be save when the technicians damage the case/screen?

Having the dealer sign a written protocol on the condition of the unit?

Any other suggestions?
( Last edited by euphras; Aug 22, 2004 at 02:35 PM. )

romeosc
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2004, 04:40 PM

Apple's latest official policy is that batteries are a consumable and have a 90 day warranty, period. I've seen a lot of customer relations calls get CS codes to get them replaced anyway, but it's in the documentation.

From http://www.apple.com/support/product...lan_terms.html
The Plan does not cover:

Installation, removal, or disposal of the Covered Equipment, or installation, removal, repair, or maintenance of non-Covered Equipment (including accessories, attachments, or other devices such as external modems) or electrical service external to the Covered Equipment;

Damage due to accident, abuse, neglect, misuse (including faulty installation, repair, or maintenance by anyone other than Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider), unauthorized modification, improper environment (including lack of proper temperature or humidity), unusual physical or electrical stress or interference, failure or fluctuation of electrical power, lightning, static electricity, fire, or acts of God;

Any equipment with a serial number that has been altered or removed;

Problems caused by a device that is not the Covered Equipment, including equipment that is not Apple-branded, whether or not purchased at the same time as the Covered Equipment;

Service necessary to comply with the regulations of any government body or agency arising after the date of this Plan;

Recovery or replacement of any data or software stored on the Covered Equipment;

Repair, replacement, or maintenance of items that have been subject to wear and tear, such as cases, key caps, knobs, handles, batteries or mechanical parts.

The provision of replacement equipment during the period when the Covered Equipment is being repaired.

euphras  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2004, 01:35 PM

Not to be inpolite, but i know the official license terms. So simply replying citing a web based AppleCare license does not do the job for me (i have a printed copy in my office desk).

I wanted feedback from people who have ACTUALLY dealed with AppleCare and can give some statements about obliging behaviour from Apple�s side. Every once and then macnn-members have posted about their impressions with AC, sometimes units (Tibooks) were brought in to replace a HD and came back WITH replaced casing (usually units that suffered the "paint flaking disease"). I also want to know how they dealed with the data stored on your harddisks. Did it came back wiped or was all the stuff (prog�s/data) still on it??!? Is it a good idea to document the condition of the unit and have a written protocol signed by the dealer before giving it away?

Person Man
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2004, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by euphras:
I wanted feedback from people who have ACTUALLY dealed with AppleCare and can give some statements about obliging behaviour from Apple�s side. Every once and then macnn-members have posted about their impressions with AC, sometimes units (Tibooks) were brought in to replace a HD and came back WITH replaced casing (usually units that suffered the "paint flaking disease"). I also want to know how they dealed with the data stored on your harddisks. Did it came back wiped or was all the stuff (prog�s/data) still on it??!? Is it a good idea to document the condition of the unit and have a written protocol signed by the dealer before giving it away?
It's a mixed bag as to what will happen when you send it in. Some people have had their unit come back with a new hard drive (we found a problem you didn't know you had, and "helpfully" installed a new hard drive). Some people get theirs with their data intact. Some people get their units in worse condition than when they returned it, and then Apple blames them for it. Some don't. Some people send their computers in, and it returns with the problem it was sent in for unfixed.

So, yes, I wouldn't leave it to chance. I would take pictures (with something like a newspaper with a date on it to document when the picture was taken), keep a set for yourself, give a set to the dealer (if they'll accept it) and put a set in the box with the computer. Also, a dealer signed description of the condition (with ALL flaws documented- any that weren't on the description before sending the unit in would be Apple's fault) would be helpful. Include with the computer a sheet listing what it is being sent in for if you can (stick it between the keyboard and screen so the worker who opens it clearly sees it). BACK UP your hard drive (and if there is any sensitive data on it, erase it and install a fresh copy of the operating system if you can). Apple charges an additional $50 (I don't know what the charge is in Europe) to back up your drive for you, but you have to ask for it and pay it up front.

In fact, I would do this with ANY computer manufacturer. (or any expensive electronic item with a huge list of ambiguous exclusions in their warranty).

euphras  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2004, 03:41 PM

Thanks for the feedback so far!

Yose
Senior User
Aug 23, 2004, 07:49 PM

If I remember correctly TiBook owners get one replacement topcase... Never saw it in writting but it seems to be how it went... Also I just had my battery replaced days before my Applecare expired... Not even sure if it needed replacing but they did it anyways.
Yose.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 23, 2004, 10:14 PM

Before you give your computer to ANYONE, do three things:

1) Backup
2) Backup
3) Backup

If you need to have a functional machine, the best way is to hookup a loaner PB via target disk mode, erase that HD and carbon copy your HD onto that machine. [when you get yours back, you can reverse].

If you have private info, delete it before sending it in.

I sent mine in for a modem repair, and they completely wiped my HD before they replaced the defective hardware.

bstone
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2004, 07:50 AM

While my experiences with AppleCare repairs has been extraordinarily positive, I have heard that people get back their laptops with large scratches, dents, etc etc. I suggest taking pictures/video of the entire thing and keeping it safe.

Perhaps even a video showing you inspecting it and then packing it up. That way they don't believe you are trying to scam them on previous damage.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 24, 2004, 11:42 AM

I've had my 12" Powerbook's battery, motherboard, and Superdrive exchanged under AppleCare warranty.

I made a full backup, but the drive came back untouched.

-s*

PookJP
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2004, 03:58 PM

I had basically the same problem happen on my 867 Powerbook with my combo drive, paint flaking, and a nonfunctional battery.

Drive: They replaced it under warrantee, and also took the liberty of putting a brand new hard drive in. Great, right? Well, I would have been royally pissed had I not backed up my data, as my computer came back 100% blank, and they gave me precisely zero warning about the hard drive replacement.

Paint: They fixed it free of charge

Battery: Told me I had to buy a new one, and advised me the best way to preserve its life is to keep the computer plugged in all the time and use it as infrequently as possible.
It's the devil's way now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules