Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook G4 Titanium - how to fix broken bezel

Powerbook G4 Titanium - how to fix broken bezel
euphras
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2012, 05:36 PM

Last Sunday i bought an 867 MHz Tibook off ebay which was mainly used as a desktop machine and is in pretty good shape for a 2003 produced notebook, especially the "bubbling bezel paint" issue hasn´t gotten hands on this Ti. But there´s one problem with the bezel, the left rear edge suffers from a mechanical impact and needs to be glued and then repainted.

Two photos directly from the ebay image server since the Ti is still on it´s way shipping.

How should this bezel be glued? Cyanacrylate, two component epoxy stuff? Any suggestions?

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2012, 06:20 PM

Epoxy takes a bit of volume to work best. You could use that if you are essentially just filling in the crack without pushing the separation back to zero. If you intend to actually close the crack to ~zero space then try Cyanacrylate which needs a near-zero space between the broken parts.

On that old box I would not even open the case, just warm the cracked location and apply warm epoxy, wiping off any excess. Note that heat does greatly accelerate the initial setup time so work quickly and do not use quick-acting epoxy.

I have two Tibooks buried in storage both with failed power adapter connections. If they were close by I would send you one for the parts.

-Allen

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 25, 2012, 07:42 PM

Replacing those cases is no fun.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

euphras  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2012, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Replacing those cases is no fun.
Those cases are Design icons*, therefore worth to deal with.

* and they work well with everyday´s working load

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 25, 2012, 10:05 PM

I remember being blown away when they first came out but they dated pretty fast.

I never liked getting the LVDS cables out through the hinges. That got old even faster.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2012, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
I remember being blown away when they first came out but they dated pretty fast.

I never liked getting the LVDS cables out through the hinges. That got old even faster.
Indeed that's a pain, however its pretty cool design wise as it disconnects the screen from the body unlike the current large central hinge design.

I'm not sure the Ti has dated. Each time I see one it's a little surprising (they don't come in often any more) and they certainly still look cool.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

yugyug
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 26, 2012, 09:08 AM

I loved it how the hinge would allow the screen to go back really far, perfect for working in bed. I miss my old tibook.
ππ>_<ππ

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 26, 2012, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
Indeed that's a pain, however its pretty cool design wise as it disconnects the screen from the body unlike the current large central hinge design.
Just a pity about the rest of the hinge design on the TiBook. Ever tried to change the hinges in one of those displays? One of the worst repairs you could do at the time given those displays were over £700 from Apple back then and cracking them was very easy when attempting hinge replacement.

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
I'm not sure the Ti has dated. Each time I see one it's a little surprising (they don't come in often any more) and they certainly still look cool.
I think its partly the colours. The frequently peeling paint doesn't help either but somehow they look older to me than their late G3 predecessors do now. Back in 2001 though they were the MacBook Air of their day. The Pismo/Lombard still made Wintel notebooks look fat and rubbish, the TiBook was unfathomably thin when it came out.

amazing
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2012, 11:13 PM

I think I would leave it alone--even if you replaced it, it is very likely to re-occur.

euphras  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2012, 12:37 PM

I got the `Book yesterday, had to clean out the dust of nearly one decade, swapped the HDD and Airport card from my 667 MHz Ti and everything is fine. Aside from the mentioned crack (which in reality looks much less annoying than on the picture and having no influence on the functionality of the left hinge) the Tibook is nearly flawless, only two very small rub marks at the edges. The screen is bright, VERY bright, i can run it at half of the max level and still have a convenient illumination. All pixels are alive. And the best; the battery has a real life capacity* of 3 1/2 to 4 hours, although it seems to be the original first one (printing states "copyright Apple 2002"). A wonderful machine!

*web browsing, some typing in word, some processing of pics in PS
( Last edited by euphras; Jan 27, 2012 at 09:14 PM. )

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2012, 05:17 PM

There's really something about those old warhorses.

I love the ones that are all battered up, with war-blackened bezels and dinged metal.

*sigh*

euphras  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2012, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
There's really something about those old warhorses.

I love the ones that are all battered up, with war-blackened bezels and dinged metal.

*sigh*
Yes, indeed. One pic of my 667 MHz Ti below. Recently the inverter board was toasted, but i was able to fix this issue on my own. But the graphic issue caused by the loosening ATI chip´s ball grid array left this Ti useless. But when i have the time on my hands i will try to reflow the 667 board.

euphras&#180;s thoughts on (technical) things: Reviving a ten years old Powerbook Titanium (inverter board fixing)

i wanted a new used Powerbook since i have all the software licences for apps out of the "Tiger" era. Al-Books were no option because in direct comparison to a Tibook they look plain ugly.

Forum Links
Forum Rules