Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > XP, Parallels and silly me

XP, Parallels and silly me
EricTheRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 14, 2007, 02:34 PM

Hello,

I've been using Macs since before Microsoft released any version of windows—which is to say that I'm ignorant and uniformed about all things Windows.

I received a Mac Pro and I installed an extra 500 GG HDD. I then installed Boot Camp, burned a McWindows driver disk, installed a retail copy of Windows XP, hit it with the McWindows drivers disk, and loaded a couple of PC games (NWN2, Generals Zero Hour). Everything works. Cool.

When I installed Windows, it hated the format of the new 500 GB HDD and reformated it before installing (took two hours, groan). Now I want to know about Parallels to run a Windows only application side-by-side with OS X for work.

Can I install the same copy of Windows XP on Parallels or tell Parallels to look for Windows on the 500 GB HDD?

Thanks and any extra tips you want to share with me about this process will be greatly appreciated!

Eric
( Last edited by EricTheRed; Jan 14, 2007 at 02:58 PM. )

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2007, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by EricTheRed View Post
Hello,
Can I install the same copy of Windows XP on Parallels or tell Parallels to look for Windows on the 500 GB HDD?
Eric
Yes and Yes*.

First you can use the same copy that you used to install via boot camp but you'll have to call MS to get it activate.

The second yes is with an asterick. The current version will not let you do that but there's a beta available that can. Some people had success running parallels using the boot camp partition others have reported issues. My position has been that I'm going to wait a little longer and let parallels shake the bugs out before undertaking that.
Michael

Zarqawi's Eye
Baninated
Jan 14, 2007, 06:48 PM

if you just use parallels to run the windows on your bootcamp partition, you shouldn't need to reactivate.

For most, it works very well.

EricTheRed  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 14, 2007, 08:55 PM

How would I get Parallels to run the copy of Windows XP that took over my new 500 GB HDD?

Since I typed my first post I installed Parallels and a new copy of windows went somewhere (I can't see it but I understand that it is an 8GB partition on my Mac OS X startup HDD). I then installed Parallels' tools. From within Windows XP running on the virtual machine, I cannot get to the internet. Windows XP start up asked for all kinds of Internet connectivity stuff that baffled me (Macs are like puppies, they just go out and "find" the cable modem on their own and start using it). Windows XP running off of boot camp can connect to the internet but not the virtual machine. What must i do to get web services to the virtual machine?

I am Windows retarded so you'll need to tell me what and how to do things. Thanks for any and all help guys.

Eric

EricTheRed  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2007, 10:05 AM

Update:

I got the internet working for Parallels Windows XP but I think it may be a little voodooish. Basically, I couldn't get the virtual machine to connect to my cable modem so on the Mac side I enabled Ethernet adaptor (en2) on the Internet tap of the Sharing system preference and turned on sharing. I was them able to download and install my active trader application. Course the market is closed today but it looks like it is working.

Still bummed about Boot Camp Windows XP eating a whole 500 GB HDD that it refuses to share with OS X. Is there a way to reduce the partition size without destroying data?

Forum Links
Forum Rules