Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Airburst Extreme!

Airburst Extreme!
phillryu
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2004, 07:26 AM

Click here to read the Inside Mac Games' preview!

Apparently the new game features an overhauled engine, faster gameplay, animated, moving backgrounds, 10 characters, 'extreme' powerups (think uber tricks in SSX), more game modes, and more!

I'm so excited... Airburst is a great game. Hope this'll run well on my iBook!

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

phillryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2004, 02:11 PM

Ok, I emailed the devs and found out a bit more for your Airburst fans (I know you're out there!). The new version will run on old machines; they've tested it on a 500mhz iBook and it runs well there. It's powered by a new 2D openGL engine, and owners of Airburst will unlock at least one easter egg with their old registration. They're thinking a release date around July.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2004, 03:55 PM

I'm really looking forward to this game too. I hope gameplays will be much more faster this time around

Maybe it's me but Airburst 'Extreme' is a pretty lame title. Airburst 2 sounds way cooler to me.

phillryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2004, 04:13 PM

Yeah, true. Sounds like it's not quite a sequel... but it really sounds like it's gonna be a huge update! And Adam, I heard that gameplay is indeed sped up.

Turias
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2004, 04:25 PM

I can't wait for this game. I bought the original as soon as it was released and have had endless hours of 4-player fun.

phillryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2004, 07:55 PM

Yes! Agreed. Gotta admit that it's tough squeezing four hands onto one keyboard though

I've actually never tried network play, it's just so fun with everyone yelling and stuff on one computer hehe.

Zwilnik
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 9, 2004, 05:22 PM

hehe. if it wasn't for all the stores listing it as Airburst Extreme, we'd probably have changed the title by now. (when we first announced it 'Extreme' wasn't even being used for the Base Stations )

ABE is a whole new game compared to classic Airburst. There's all the original gameplay there, but now with a *lot* more. It's also definitely faster than Airburst (it runs at twice the framerate for starters)
Aaron

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 9, 2004, 11:59 PM

Looks awesome. Finally coming around.. its been a loooooooooong time since it was announced.

Those cows won't know what hit 'em. They won't know what hit them even after it hits them, because they're cows.

Forum Links
Forum Rules