Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > BF 1942-Artillery, How to?

BF 1942-Artillery, How to?
JohnM15141
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 14, 2004, 11:26 PM

I've been Playing it for the last few days, rather informally on MultiPlay. It's been fun. The manual mentions the Scout using binoculars can direct artillery. The Manual is not very clear about how to go about this. In all my Online play I've never seen players take advantage of this feature. From what I can tell, a scout can highlight a target that will remain active for 60 seconds or as long as the scout remains alive. How does this work? Where does the Artillery fire come from? Is it other players who just happen to be manning an artillery battery of some sort? If so, what do they see and how hard is it to hit the target. Is it effective?
----------------------------------------------------------
"He who is tired of Weird Al, is tired of life"
Homer J. Simpson, the 90's

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2004, 09:27 AM

grab the binoculars, look where you wish to have artilery bombed. Then find someone as support, they can deploy an artilery weapon - or find one of the tanks, where it requires 1 person to drive the tank, and another to fire. Correctly aiming the artillery is a great skill though.
we don't have time to stop for gas

Holigen
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2004, 11:52 AM

Dont forget to click the fire button with the binocs at where you want the artillery

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

JohnM15141  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 16, 2004, 01:13 PM

I tried it last night and got some artillery fire on a Tank that was hiding. Very Nice!

However I manned a Destroyer battery at sea. Scouts were calling for Artillery and I noticed Yellow marks on the Map. But I couldn't figure out how to get my gun to hit those areas. Is it just guess work? What techniques are used to get your shells on target?

Boochie
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 17, 2004, 09:03 AM

So is this game worth buying? I've played MoH and CoD and grown bored with those. How do the graphics, sound, and gameplay compare between BF1942 and these other WWII games?

Zwilnik
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 17, 2004, 11:19 AM

Targetting atillery requires a bit of teamwork. Unless you're incredibly lucky, your first shot will most probably miss. The scout should then tell you whether you were short, long, wide etc. of the target. You can then adjust and fire another shot, repeat until you hit the target area, then just bombard the crap out of it.

Artillery fire is best for clobbering a heavily defended area rather than targetting specific mobile units, but if for instance a couple of tanks have units pinned down or are stopping an advance on a flag, artillery can be a handy can-opener.

One trick btw. If a scout calls atillery while parachuting, the spotting viewpoint stays at the airborne point where it was called (so the scout can land and hide). Very handy for getting wide aerial target spotting views
Aaron

JohnM15141  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 17, 2004, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by Boochie:
So is this game worth buying? I've played MoH and CoD and grown bored with those. How do the graphics, sound, and gameplay compare between BF1942 and these other WWII games?
I can only compare it to the CoD Demo so I can't compare gameplay. The Graphics look slightly better in CoD but the selling point for me on BF1942(The Deluxe Edition On DVD) is the huge and rich on line Play Experience. I get absorbed for hours into it. I have not seen the CoD Online play yet. So take my review for what it's worth...

PS I finally got a scout to coordinate my Artillery fire. I accidently killed him when I fired Short, Doh! Then Punkbuster banned me, double DOH! I'll be more careful next time.

Great Fun!

Zwilnik
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 17, 2004, 12:59 PM

Ah yes, good tip for scouts. Don't position yourself too near the target, that's what the binoculars are for
Aaron

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2004, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by Boochie:
yes, this is possible my most favoured online game, ever.
DOWNLOAD DESERT COMBAT NOW
we don't have time to stop for gas

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 18, 2004, 12:38 PM

Originally posted by Peter:
I second that!

This game is different from MOH or COD becuase you can drive ANY vehicle that you see. The graphics are on par with MOH but not quite as nice as COD, although I have not played it yet on a (my) hooked up G5, only my powerbook, so other users might say differently. Definitely worth buying though.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2004, 07:21 AM

Originally posted by Peter:
yes, this is possible my most favoured online game, ever.
DL'ed it, installed it. But I see nothing new What did I do wrong???

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

zwiebel_
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2004, 10:59 AM

Originally posted by Logic:
DL'ed it, installed it. But I see nothing new What did I do wrong???
In the game menu, click on the Custom Game button, select DC, click Activate and off you go.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2004, 06:11 AM

Originally posted by zwiebel_:
In the game menu, click on the Custom Game button, select DC, click Activate and off you go.
Ah, thanks!

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

Forum Links
Forum Rules