Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Terrible performance in fullscreen UT2004

Terrible performance in fullscreen UT2004
P
Nov 16, 2004, 06:03 PM

For some reason, my performance in fullscreen UT2004 is terrible on my iMac G5, no matter how low I put the grahic settings. Windowed mode is fine, at the largest allowed resolution (1024*768) with all options at full. Other games based on that engine are fine. Patch level is the latest (3323). Does anyone know what is wrong?

Zubir
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 18, 2004, 10:29 PM

How much ram do you have? If you're using the standard 256mb, upgrade to at least 512mb. 1gb would be preferable.

i am yujin
Forum Regular
Nov 19, 2004, 03:06 AM

Umm..the 5200 anyone?
"iPod Mini embodies everything Apple nay-sayers cry at every turn: overpriced style with mediocre substance." -PookJP
yo w3rd.

Xidius
Nov 20, 2004, 09:12 AM

Originally posted by P:
Does anyone know what is wrong?
Since the iMac G5 was released, the only drawback has been it's sub-par graphics card.

You are now feeling the repercussions of ignoring that fact. =)

I honestly think the graphics card in my Powerbook is far better. And that just doesn't seem right.

- Xidius
You're just jealous coz' the voices wont talk to you!

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 20, 2004, 11:44 AM

Oh lord, not this graphics card BS again. Seriously, get over it, If my eMac with a relatively inferior spec can give good enough UT performance, than a G5 iMac should crush it, the fact this guys iMac G5 isn't doing as it should, shows something else is very wrong.

While im here, check the CPU settings in the Energy saver control panel. As default, G5 iMacs ship with crippled CPU settings, so could well cause your problem?
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

sideus
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2004, 01:54 PM

I'd blame it on the iMac video.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2004, 03:17 PM

What resolution are you running full screen at? And which iMac do you have? You may want to change the full screen resolution, especially if you have the 20" iMac.

TheDeathman
Nov 20, 2004, 03:18 PM

I think Apple posted specs of Ut2004 running great on iMac G5s...

::edit::

So unless the G4 iMacs got like 2 frames a second, it should run pretty good in 1024x768...

discotronic
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2004, 05:17 PM

The GPU has nothing to do with it. I have an iMac G5 and it runs UT2004 like a dream at full settings. I haven't found a game yet that I would consider to much for it. Everytime someone has a problem with a game on the iMac people do nothing but bitch about the 5200. Instead of responding to just to run your post count up try giving some real help.

P,
What version of Panther are you using? Has the game always performed badly or did it work fine at one point? Homeworld 2 was unplayable until the 10.3.6 update. I don't think UT2K4 had the problem but you never know.

P  (op)
Nov 21, 2004, 10:15 AM

Everyone bitching about the graphics board: Read what I wrote! It's fine in windowed mode. Other games based on that engine run at 1440*900, and this won't even work at 640*480. Seriously...

I have 10.3.6, and 512 MB RAM. I know 10.3.6 fixed the register_combine2 bug, which is what killed HW2 performance (it also runs fine in 1440*900 now, for those keeping track. So did Warcraft 3 and Max Payne even before the patch, and even C&C Generals was playable at the res, even if I got bored with the gameplay after half a level) but for some reason UT sucks now. Maybe I'll try to downgrade it by deleting and reinstalling without the latest patch, but installing UT takes forever, and I was wondering if anyone knew about this specific bug and had inside knowledge of some ini-file hacking or something.

discotronic
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2004, 01:21 AM

Looks like a new patch was released. You might want to check it out and see if it might solve your issue.

P  (op)
Nov 23, 2004, 05:51 PM

Just tried it, and no, it's the same thing. Thanks for the tip anyway.

Edit: Hmm, this was amusing. When I do the flybys or botmatch demos, performance is fine... until I move the mouse. That drops the framerate counter like a rock. Any ideas on this?
( Last edited by P; Nov 23, 2004 at 06:14 PM. )

ks5z
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2004, 09:19 PM

Originally posted by P:

Edit: Hmm, this was amusing. When I do the flybys or botmatch demos, performance is fine... until I move the mouse. That drops the framerate counter like a rock. Any ideas on this?
when I updated to the newest version of the demo I had crappy performance, until I trashed all the unreal user preferences in my folder....

discotronic
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2004, 04:06 PM

Originally posted by P:

Are you using the BT mouse and keyboard? Hardware conflict maybe?

P  (op)
Nov 24, 2004, 06:45 PM

Originally posted by discotronic:
Are you using the BT mouse and keyboard? Hardware conflict maybe?
No. Keyboard is the standard. Mouse is an ancient Logitech Mouseman Wheel, with USB Overdrive X for the driver. Disabling that driver doesn't help. I think I have the mouse problem partially sorted though. I use the program Drop Drawers to put little drawers with shortcuts around my screen. Quitting this program improved the situation. It's usually a problem in Classic games, but never before in native X. Still not good performance - nowhere near what the benchmarks from identical machines show - but at least it's playable in 800*500 medium settings. So sick when every other game based on that engine runs in much higher resolution.

mikellanes
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2004, 01:24 PM

whew, glad someone else is having this problem!

My sister broutght a iMac G5 20" recently, going from an ADM 2200 to this is a NICE upgrade, only thing is unreal was running like sludge! I will try the window mode and see if that helps....

mikellanes
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2004, 11:53 AM

Strange, When I do instant action and run assault I get 10-30 fps but when I run some others I am getting 150-170 fps and this is at full screen and 1024 res.

I don't know what the problem is, maybe downgrade to OS 10.3.5?

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 27, 2004, 10:13 AM

Not that it helps any, but I just got a 20" iMac (Plus 1gig of ram) and UT2004 (with all patches) is running like a champ on it.
I wonder if running something like Xbench on yours might help pin point where the problem is? Failing that, re-install UT?
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

J�rn Ladwig
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2004, 05:52 PM

well almost, the funny thing is it used to work without a flaw and suddenly from one day to the other its stuttering. and i did not change anything

well if you find a solution please post it here

i amon an imac g5 20" with 768 mb ram osx 10.3.6

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2004, 07:02 PM

Originally posted by ks5z:
when I updated to the newest version of the demo I had crappy performance, until I trashed all the unreal user preferences in my folder....
I second trashing the prefs. I know this solved issues I had with both Kotor and Nwn. Trashing prefs has become somewhat of a 'first thing to do' if you have a game that is running fine one session, then running like crap the next.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

J�rn Ladwig
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2004, 06:21 PM

trashing the prefs did not help. its exactly the same. its fluent if i dont use the mouse, as soon as i move it its unplayable. did anyone foud a solution for this? is it possible that its connected with 10.3.6? is it possible to just get the old nividia driver of 10.3.5? i dont eally wanna go back to 10.3.5 because of sound problems wich are solved with 10.3.6.

any help would be great thankx

J�rn Ladwig
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2004, 03:28 AM

just installed 10.3.7 hoped that this might fix the bug, but no luck here. stil the same. did anyone find a solution?

J�rn Ladwig
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2004, 11:59 AM

well since 10.3.7 did not help to solve the problem, i did a little testing, and came out with this. whenever i move the mouse the frames drop , not just in the game, but also in the main menu. i tried reinstalling but it did not help. i have a bt mouse, but i testet this with a normal usb mouse, and the results where the same.

now i have an ati remote wonder and with that you can control the mouse, whenever i use the remote instead of the real mouse it works flawlessly . i don't have a final conclusion jet, but it seems as my mousedriver is f... up. but than again i have no troubles with it in any other application. and why is the remote wonder working?

maybee you have some more ideas.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2004, 12:45 PM

Maybe you have to completely reinstall OS X. You can do that without losing any personal data by using the archive install feature.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

P  (op)
Dec 16, 2004, 05:07 PM

Did you try my hint above? Disabling all apps that react when the mous reaches a corner, like Drop Drawers or Expos�?

J�rn Ladwig
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2004, 07:15 AM

i havent tried your hint, about turning of expos� i belive this is my only app that reacts to mouse movment. will try that now. for the reinstal, do i really keep all my settings and everything?
or do i have to take care for some stuff?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Dec 17, 2004, 07:19 AM

When then iMac G5s came out, I got a 20-inch model to play around with so I could do a review of it.
Even with 256 of ram, its performance on UT2004 was very good, even compared with my PB17 with 1.5GB of ram.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

J�rn Ladwig
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2004, 08:33 AM

well tried the expos� hint, and it did not help. i just reinstalled my system like stated above. that was really easy and fast, but it did not help the problem, so i am guessing something in my user settings must be wrong. so i created a new user, but its still the same. arrrrg.

any more hints? other than the unreal 2004 error everything runs great on my imac

Zwilnik
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 17, 2004, 09:16 AM

As mentioned earlier, go to the energy saver control panel, go to the options panel and check that processor performance is set to Highest rather than Automatic (which is the default).

I've just had a problem with a similar app, where in theory it should have shunted the CPU to full throttle but it wasn't.
Aaron

J�rn Ladwig
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2004, 10:45 AM

hey thanks for all your thoughts. well i tried that before, and at the moment its running at maximum all the time, but it does not help. as soon as i move the mouse its unplayable. while just walking with the keyboard its so smooth i can not belive this. by the way what other games are made with the unreal tournament engine? maybee i can see if they give me the same trouble. i have cod and it runs so smooth

roders
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2004, 11:56 AM

Try unlpugging all unnesercary USB devices (trackball scanners etc) there usd to be a bug in UT03 and maybe UT04 with the game polling for usb decvies that severly affercted the fps of the game, some USB device (such as trackbalss were more troublesome than others if I remember correctly).

J�rn Ladwig
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2004, 01:02 PM

THANK YOU!!!!
its working, it never crossed my mind that there might be some usb trouble. now i will try wich usb device is causing the trouble

thankx again christmas holidays just got al lot more fun :-)

Forum Links
Forum Rules