Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > *Help* New hard drive and no desktop icons

*Help* New hard drive and no desktop icons
Shawnberto
Dec 29, 2000, 04:12 AM

I hope someone here can help me.

It's probably a really simple solution, but I searched and I couldn't find it here, and I couldn't figure it out, perhaps I'm just to fried from an extremely long week, but...

I replaced my hard drive in my rev1 G3. I copied all of the files from the old hard drive onto the new hard drive. Everything seemed to work fine, I could boot from the new drive and everything, but when I remove the old drive and reboot all of my desktop items disappear. What do I have to do to get my desktop stuff back?

Thanks,

Shawnberto

Aussiemac
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2000, 04:25 AM

Can disk first aid see the HD? if so try and repair, first with disk first aid ,then if no luck try disk warrior (You might have lost your directory you can get it back by refomating the disk. takes a long time but is free ,or disk warrior will get it back in under 3 minutes)"if it is a software problem"
good luck.
Aussiemac
iMac 21.5"-2.4GHz i5, 15"-2.66 i7 MacBook Pro, iMac Bondi G3/233 (still working), HTC Desire, Golf V GTI DSG

Cipher13
Dec 29, 2000, 05:05 AM

Invisible folder:
Old drive esktop Folder
Make visible and copy to:

New drive esktop folder (really just drag the files to the actual desktop (if you're booted from New drive that is)).

Or really, the Old drives stuff should mount on the desktop with the new stuff.
That'll be annoying to sort through though.... but you'll manage

Cipher13

[This message has been edited by Cipher13 (edited 12-29-2000).]

dtriska
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2000, 05:19 AM

Cipher's got the right solution. Basically, all your desktop items from your old drive are stored in an invisible folder called "Desktop Folder" at the root level of your old drive. I'll bet that when you copied all your files from the old drive to your new drive, you selected everything at the root level of the old drive and dragged it into the root level of the new drive. This method, however, doesn't copy invisible files or folders. There's one solution, two methods:

1) Make the "Desktop Folder" on the old drive visible using Resedit or another utility. Open the folder and copy the files to wherever you want them on your new drive.

2) Create a new folder at the root level of your new drive and copy all your desktop items to that folder. Then, trash all your desktop items (gets rid of items in old drive's "Desktop Folder"). Finally, move the copied items from the new folder onto your desktop (places items in new drive's "Desktop Folder").

The first method is Cipher's suggestion. The second is mine. I included it because I thought you might not want to play with visible/invisible items if you don't know what the "Desktop Folder" is.

Cipher13
Dec 29, 2000, 05:21 AM

LOL... my second suggestion is basically the same as yours (didn't see your message)...
I just posted the basic solution, then elaborated, once the post was sent through (as always)...

Cipher13

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2000, 10:38 AM

I have never had this problem, but if Cipher's got the right idea(and I trust he does) wouldn't the same result be had by simply rebuilding the desktop at start-up?

Cipher13
Dec 29, 2000, 08:21 PM

I do.
Hm... I'm not totally sure how rebuilding the desktop works.
I'd do it my way, then rebuild it...

Cipher13

reader50
Administrator
Dec 29, 2000, 10:00 PM

Rebuilding the Desktop refers to the invisible Desktop files that map file types to applications. Not to the invisible Desktop folder that actually holds the files you see on your Desktop.

Easier solution: Hook up both hard drives, and boot from your new HD. Create a new folder on the desktop called "temp". Highlight all other desktop files & folders (but not the HD icons, desktop printer icons, or the Trash) and drag them to the "temp" folder. New desktop folders are always created in the boot hard drive's invisible desktop folder. All those files & folders will be copied. You will see a copy dialog, and the files/folders will not actually vanish from your desktop. Shut down, remove old HD. Reboot, and drag the files & folders from the "temp" folder back to your desktop. Delete "temp" folder. Done.

[This message has been edited by reader50 (edited 12-29-2000).]

Zwilnik
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2000, 07:44 PM

Also, if it's a Rev 1 G3 B/W *DON'T* put both drives on the same bus!
If you do, you'll probably corrupt data on large files being transferred between them due to a bug on the IDE controller. Have one drive on the normal bus, and one on the CD/DVD bus for the copying.
Aaron

Forum Links
Forum Rules