Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > NewsFactor, please read.

NewsFactor, please read.
Cipher13
May 21, 2001, 06:16 PM

Ok. You have banned members. You have deleted posts. You have deleted threads.

You, sir, do not have the skill to moderate a forum, nor the integrity, nor the SLIGHTEST CLUE WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

I was civil before. Now, you are abusing your power, and you have overstepped your bounds.

You messed with the wrong group of people.

Stop your tyrannical power trip now...

I would like a superior of yours here, another NFN reprasentative.

------------------

AIM: Cipher1387
mail: [email protected]

[This message has been edited by Cipher13 (edited 05-21-2001).]

Zigmanx001
Forum Regular
May 21, 2001, 06:18 PM

Woah...

------------------
-Al LeVine
Shpadoinkle.net

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2001, 06:19 PM

Amen Cipher.

The biggest mistake was letting this guy become and admin, I could see a mod but an admin?!?

------------------

el matteo
Forum Regular
May 21, 2001, 06:21 PM

You know, I posted a (rather long) open letter to the guy suggesting some simple points. Of course, that was never even acknowledged. Instead, he's gone on a total power trip. At first, the sickness was interesting, sort of like watching a train wreck - you can't look away. At this point it's just too embarrasing for him - it hurts for me to watch someone sacrifice every shred of dignity just to show off their power. It's like a bad case of penis envy.

I'm done with this nonsense. I'm going back to AI -- as far as I can tell, nobody in charge even knows that still exists.

[This message has been edited by el matteo (edited 05-21-2001).]

georgius
Mac Enthusiast
May 21, 2001, 06:21 PM

We;ve had. We've had it big time.

The line has got to be drawn somewhere. And here is perfect.

Get ready everyone. This is going to be one bumpy ride.

[email protected]

Play it cool NewsFactor...whilst you still can.

------------------

11th Commandent: Thou shalt traverse to Alnora...the only place to be seen for HTML, Web and Graphics.)
widget.alnora.com

for macintosh gui

Kozmik
Grizzled Veteran
May 21, 2001, 06:23 PM

It seems NFN doesn't like that whole "free speech" thing those guys in the 1770s were talking about.
<A HREF="http://www.macnet2.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi" TARGET=_blank>
MacNet v2 Forums</A>

foobars
Mac Elite
May 21, 2001, 06:24 PM

This has been a disaster for everyone involved. NFN could have really benefited from these users and instead they chose to write them off as ignorant and unimportant. Their loss.

I am timing how long it takes before this thread is closed.

epiphany of tyrrany
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2001, 06:25 PM

Or deleted.
Your Mother is a
Vaccum Cleaner.

NewsFactor Response
Banned
May 21, 2001, 06:25 PM

With all due respect, people here need to know that there are limits.

I've repeated and will repeat again for you:

It's ok to say just about anything, but profanity and abuse that harm the enjoyment of other members is NOT ok.

As it turns out, I've "un-banned" the people who were banned earlier, because I'm hoping that they got the point finally.

You may think this to be tyranny, but there are rules of the road.

Please keep this in mind.

Kozmik
Grizzled Veteran
May 21, 2001, 06:27 PM

There's also a thing called the "first amendment". Oh, right, I forgot. Anything mildly corporate will simply forgo it.
<A HREF="http://www.macnet2.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi" TARGET=_blank>
MacNet v2 Forums</A>

griffman
Senior User
May 21, 2001, 06:29 PM

From the now-closed "Newsfactor Response" thread, the admin wrote:

&gt;&gt;This thread is now officially closed with nearly 290 messages.&lt;&lt;

That reminds me of Jeff Goldblum's comments about the dinosaurs not being able to breed in 'Jurassic Park' - "life will find a way" or something like that. Threads can't be killed. The existing chain can be killed, but a new one will continue to pop up until the collective audience feels that they've had their say and that their message has been heard ... I think there's a long future of thread closing and user banning coming up.

I may lose my account for this, but that's fine -- I'd recommend everyone head to the MacFixIt forums for their forum-related needs, at least on the troubleshooting front. For general conversation, you can't get much less-moderated than AppleInsider, and even the MacAddict boards seem pretty good by comparison. I stopped visiting the MacNN home page when the new design went up; I'll stop visiting the MacnNN forum pages quite shortly if the environment of controlled expression continues. You can't really call it censorship, since it is their site and they have the right to do what they want with the content -- similary, we have a right to take our viewership elsewhere, which is what I'm doing...

For those of you looking for help with Mac OS X, you can probably find me most often posting on the MacFixIt boards.

cheers;
-rob.

------------------
Visit macosxhints.com ... a community-built OS X hints and tips site.
Visit macosxhints.com ... a community-built OS X hints and tips site.

Zigmanx001
Forum Regular
May 21, 2001, 06:29 PM

Talk all you want. Type? Pfft... Keyboards bring you speech?!

------------------
-Al LeVine
Shpadoinkle.net

Nimisys
Banned
May 21, 2001, 06:30 PM

i have never seen a board get so pissed about members being banned and threads being deleted.

i know of a lot of other boards where this is a common place. your mods have been really lax here, but realize this is THEIR board with THEIR RULES. you got no rights, no freedom of speach, no freedom form cencorship here. accept it and move on.

NFN isn't going to give up MacNN. this board belongs to them now. they are the law.

at 2.8% of the market hare, you don't have a lot of weight to throw around in the computing world. live with the changes offer some site redisgns and give them some time to settle in.

Zwilnik
Mac Enthusiast
May 21, 2001, 06:31 PM

if a thread gets closed or deleted before you finish talking, start a new one. and a new one, and a new one. It's reasonable to want to finish a conversation amongst ourselves, even if the NewsFactorGuy doesn't want to join in.
Aaron

cheerios
Professional Poster
May 21, 2001, 06:33 PM

Sir, I am curious, what ARE the rules, as you see them? I'm seeing people get punished, when no one has even bothered to lay out the rules... i have to wonder how so many people who have been peaceful "citizens" of hte MacNN community, are now troublemakers...

------------------

...it's only life after all!
--Indigo Girls
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
May 21, 2001, 06:33 PM

Puh-LEEZ. Unbanning me was a PR move, just like sending this idiot here to "reason" with us...

Go ahead. Ban me again. You'll get my entire school that way.

------------------
[img]nada[/img]

I'm serious now...
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

zac4mac
Mac Elite
May 21, 2001, 06:35 PM

I just called NFN's toll-free# and was stonewalled by the "receptionist".
I was extremely polite and emphasized the strain at remaining so while something very important to me and others is trampled under the boots of stormtroopers. She would not say how many people work for NFN. She had"no idea" who NFR is and said she can't pass me on to anyone else, I should post my opinions to the fora. duh. Just Bad Policy folks. I only survived 6 years in the US Navy because Keeping my radios up and those of several other ships kept me out of trouble with the skipper. I don't do authority very well. I told a boss once, "Tell me what to do and maybe it'll get done. Ask nicely(no need to kiss anything) and I'll bust my butt to give you what you want"

Mr NFR- You sir are too heavy handed for my tastes. I hope you mellow out before it's too late

iSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2001, 06:37 PM

Well the facts are that I had a topic deleted last night, the topic was not rude and it offered constructive criticism - why was it deleted Mr Newsfactor.

This attitude and the censorship by NFN will destroy this site. It also leads me to believe that the NFN will be susceptible to "pay for comments" i.e. that advertisers will have their products presented to us as "best of breed" when in reality the major reason MacNN will present them to us is because the advertiser has paid them to say good things.

NewsFactor Response said "but profanity and abuse that harm the enjoyment of other members is NOT ok" I am sure we all agree with this, however, most of the comments have been directed towards NFN not members, perhaps you should change you rules to "NFN will publish anything we want to and will delete any post NFN finds offensive - you cant say anything bad about the NFN or you will be banned.

------------------

[This message has been edited by iSilver (edited 05-21-2001).]

zverushka
May 21, 2001, 06:39 PM

Truly, this is pathetic.
You can't do anything about NewsFactor being here, corporate idiocy.Go to another forum, like MacAddict.
Or on IRC
*insert snappy sig line here*

Cipher13  (op)
May 21, 2001, 06:45 PM

Yes, NFN, what are the rules now? They seem to have suddenly changed, no?

Listen dude... re read my post. I mean every word of it.

You have a week before things will start to happen - people WILL leave. Lots of them. This isn't as much a threat as it is a warning...

Nimisys - welcome to Macintosh.

------------------

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
May 21, 2001, 06:45 PM

We're trying to make a point.

------------------
[img]nada[/img]

I'm serious now...

Dogma
Mac Elite
May 21, 2001, 06:46 PM

AlbertWu:
We understand you might be upset over the new design, but kindly remove your signature pic. I'm not puritan, nor (as many of my posts atest) adverse to bad language, but you're overstepping the line with that.
Everyone please, no matter how strongly your feelings on this issue, keep the language a tad milder. To be honest, some of the posts regarding the new MacNN design and owners have been downright stupid, immature, and deconstructive. The F*** sig. I could take, but this is just taking the biscuit. we're not fighting a war here, and NFN will take more notice of your comments if they are sensible, well-written, and constuctive. If they don't pay attention to those posts, then they'll be looking for a new user base, however I wouldn't blame them for ignoring posts made up from a medley of badly grafted rants and profanities.

Thanks

------------------
"If you can't stand the flames, get out of the bulletin board!"
Hark, I hear a robin sig'ing in the trees!
Nae, there is no sog to be sug,
or am I wrog? Why can't I sig?

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
May 21, 2001, 06:49 PM

If it was just the new design that I was fighting, I would still be using the "Think different about MacNN site design" one.

There is obviously something else I am combating.

The sig stays.

------------------
[img]nada[/img]

I'm serious now...

iSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2001, 06:50 PM

well Dogma, sorry but you are incorrect NFN DOES delete constructive posts that are not rude, it happened to me. i do agree with your comments re the The F*** sig bit though. Why haven't the Administrators banned this image?

------------------

[This message has been edited by iSilver (edited 05-21-2001).]

foobars
Mac Elite
May 21, 2001, 06:51 PM

Grow up Albert. Your sig only gives NF more reason to marginalize the forms. A cheap (and not entertaining) spoof is not protesting anything.

Dogma
Mac Elite
May 21, 2001, 06:53 PM

AlbertWu: you are the weakest link...

Goodbye!

Probably...

(I totally agree with what you are protesting against, however, I must agree to disagree on our methods of getting a solution)

------------------
"If you can't stand the flames, get out of the bulletin board!"
Hark, I hear a robin sig'ing in the trees!
Nae, there is no sog to be sug,
or am I wrog? Why can't I sig?

siegzdad
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2001, 06:54 PM

Here, here, I agree with Dogma. Albert, you are a smart kid and you have a lot to offer in these groups. Try a bit of tact. You'll be amazed at where it gets you. Please don't give them the ammo that they will use to shoot you.

Remember, it is easier to catch flies with honey...

------------------
iMac therefor iAm
iMac therefor iAm

Scott_H
Professional Poster
May 21, 2001, 07:05 PM

Originally posted by cheerios:
Sir, I am curious, what ARE the rules, as you see them?

[snip]

The basic rules can be found by hitting the "register" link above.

parallax
Admin Emeritus
May 21, 2001, 07:06 PM

Albert, I'm going to ask you to change that protest graphic.

Believe it or not, you're actually worsening our situation.
"Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain" (Schiller)

Nimisys
Banned
May 21, 2001, 07:10 PM

Originally posted by Cipher13:

Nimisys - welcome to Macintosh.

what do you mean by that?

guys a got strong feeling that if you cam down some and act a little more reasonable, things wil happen, but as it stands now, a defient attitude doesn't do anything to help

zac4mac
Mac Elite
May 21, 2001, 07:10 PM

I agree, Albert pull the sig, it's pointless.

You're a sharp kid(even a valuable forum contributor from time to time) and I like your room organizing skills.

I hope this settles out, I am not into looking for a new place to get news and views on all things Macintosh

Scott said:The basic rules can be found by hitting the "register" link above not unusual, but I don't remember ever seeing that before.

[This message has been edited by zac4mac (edited 05-21-2001).]

Kosmo
Senior User
May 21, 2001, 07:15 PM

What the HELL has been going on here??? What have I missed?? New owners?? New Admins?? Banning people, banning ideas? Killing Topics???

WTF??? When did all this start?

How much $$ did it take for the old MacNN owners to sell out??

This is nuts...

------------------
http://www.manzione.com/
MacNETv2 coming July 2001

http://www.macnet2.com

mr. natural
Mac Elite
May 21, 2001, 07:22 PM

AlbertWu: For a H.S. valedictorian you sure are acting like a spoiled two year old.

The immaturity over this tempest in a teapot is really sad. Disagree if you must but it is time folks learned how to do so respectfully. It's called maturity. Something sorely lacking here in most instances.

And all because of a news page? Lunacy...

"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give the appearance of solidity to pure wind." George Orwell

georgius
Mac Enthusiast
May 21, 2001, 07:28 PM

Originally posted by Kosmo:
What the HELL has been going on here??? What have I missed?? New owners?? New Admins?? Banning people, banning ideas? Killing Topics???

WTF??? When did all this start?

How much $$ did it take for the old MacNN owners to sell out??

This is nuts...

Its a very long story...drop me a line and Ill tell you all.

I'm not going to do it public... I might get "banned"...ewww...

------------------

11th Commandent: Thou shalt traverse to Alnora...the only place to be seen for HTML, Web and Graphics.)
widget.alnora.com

for macintosh gui

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
May 21, 2001, 07:33 PM

Nimsys sez:
at 2.8% of the market hare, you don't have a lot of weight to throw around in the computing world. live with the changes offer some site redisgns and give them some time to settle in.
In response to "Welcome to Macintosh"
He means that Mac users can be a passionate bunch, without lying down and taking something like this. Our 5% marketshare has a little bit more weight than you might think. Not only that, but no one is talking about our 5 vs. the other 95. This is a company coming into our 5 and doing things we don't like. Maybe our 5 isn't much, but we'd like to do with it as we please, and will fight for it as well.

Looking at this, I would have to say if people hated OS X this much, and Apple didn't address it well, we'd all be using Linux right about now.

------------------

Arty50
Mac Elite
May 21, 2001, 07:34 PM

On to a new thread (the old one was closed while I was reading it). Geez!

Nimisys,

I liked your redesign back on the old thread.
http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/Foru.../002974-6.html

This is what I had mentioned before: put the ads on the left. We read from left to right, and so this makes the ads more prominent than they are now. And best of all, it brings back a clean layout to the main page. The current separation of the main news on the left and the blurbs on the right is inintuitive. They don't work together to further the content of the page.

[This message has been edited by Arty50 (edited 05-21-2001).]
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

cheerios
Professional Poster
May 21, 2001, 07:36 PM

Ok, let me get this all straight, 'cause I'm kinda slow...

1- NFN buys out/ partners with MacNN.
2- site is redsigned to look like all other NFN sites, which most of us dislike, 'cause it's ugly, unbalanced, and not particularly user friendly.
3- we all start to put up a ruckus about the site, and NewsFactor Response comes on-scene.
4- he seems pretty reasonable at first, but as time goes on, nothing changes, and he seems to be getting pissed at us, and more power all at once.
5- He asked somewhere that posts pertaining to NFN be contained in the one 7 pg thread.
6- People dont' like this. Albert puts up his sig (F***) bit with no stars.
7- Albert, and presumably others, are banned for this, as a use of vulgar language.

Have I got all this right? Anything I've missed? 'cause I turn around, and people are screaming revolt and crying for a mass exadus... i just wanna know what's goin' on!! 'Member boys, its ONLY a web forum. We DO have lives outside of the forums. (Most of us, anyway)

Albert, pull your sig, it's doin' no good, and it's just pissin' people off.

Cipher, the guy has no clue what he's doin', and he made a couple mistakes. Don't tar and feather him for it.

Everyone else, calm down, and give this some time to settle down. With the change in ownership, (and that's what it looks like, to me...) there is gonna be a lot of shuffling, till things settle down. No, it isn't ognna be the same as before. But, have patience, guys, it might even be better. Remember, deep breathes...

------------------

--Indigo Girls
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

Norm1985
Mac Elite
May 21, 2001, 07:45 PM

I have an announcement to make. Over the past days, MacNN decided to start to destroy itself. They decided to put the site layout that they wanted! The customers didn't like it. The customers complained. They refuse to listen to suggestions. They even limit the customers rights to free speech. It's impossible to contact them by phone, they refuse to talk. And even the content and site updating is becoming poorer and poorer. I refer to us as customers because many of us buy the products from their advertisers and they still get money from us when we visit the site. It acts like TV commercials would. They decided to ban us, delete threads... Etc. We will no longer try to cooperate. We will e-mail all advertisers of MacNN about this outrage and also e-mail other Macintosh and computer sites. We will no longer visit MacNN. We will go on to diffrent forums. Thank you NewsFactor Network, you have ruined a community for me.

[email protected]
AIM: Norm1985

zac4mac
Mac Elite
May 21, 2001, 07:49 PM

wow, sanity from a female

you have my undying respect(FWIW) Cheerios. Well said.

Kosmo
Senior User
May 21, 2001, 07:49 PM

Nemsys, are you smoking crack? You don't think Apple users have much weight to throw around?

Apple sells more hardware than anyone. Apple has the most loyal base of any company, computer or non-computer.

Apple loyalists spend $$$. Lots of it. We are 25 million strong. No weight? Wanna bet?

If the new owners of MacNN don't come around to the Mac way of doing things MacNN will be dead inside a month..

Maybe this is a just a Web site, in fact, it is just a web site, that said, treat a macuser the wrong way and they delete the bookmark and never come back.

It seems to me that the new owners don't much respect the forum users here. Maybe I'm wrong, I HOPE I'm wrong, but if it's true, and they don't come around...it's over for MacNN

I got News for you. MacNN IS the forum. And the Members... without them they have nothing I can't get from apple.excite.com...

------------------
http://www.manzione.com/
MacNETv2 coming July 2001

http://www.macnet2.com

Cipher13  (op)
May 21, 2001, 07:53 PM

Originally posted by cheerios:
Cipher, the guy has no clue what he's doin', and he made a couple mistakes. Don't tar and feather him for it.
I will not forgive nor forget. He will be tarred, feathered, drawn and quartered if I have anything to do with it.

He has no clue what he is doing in one way, but in another, knows exactly what he is doing. He is a tryant on a power trip.

Until he is demoted to at BEST moderator this will not stop!

------------------

pathogen
Mac Elite
May 21, 2001, 08:02 PM

let me be the first to say what's in the clouds of my mind, forming lately:

contrition of the public and overbearing leaders = killing macnn forums (and site) slowly.

Who benefits from macnn forums and news? The Apple community. Who benefits by undermining macnn in small degrees? Those who have a stake against Apple... not conspiracy but it sure is weird that it should happen at the height of pit bulling between Apple and the PC world.

Who owns newsfactor?

[This message has been edited by pathogen (edited 05-21-2001).]
When you were young and your heart was an open book, you used to say "live and let live."
But if this ever changing world, in which we live in, makes you give in and cry, say "live and let die."

Cipher13  (op)
May 21, 2001, 08:05 PM

Originally posted by Nimisys:
You now know what makes a Mac community. Loyalty, brotherhood, etc.

Now you know first hand what its really like.

------------------

Apple
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2001, 08:06 PM

too much has happened too quickly.

------------------

Guess who I am..martyrdom is a great thing...no?

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
May 21, 2001, 08:07 PM

Things fall apart...

------------------
My post count was
1638 before they
deleted my account.
Mother****ers.

cheerios
Professional Poster
May 21, 2001, 08:08 PM

Originally posted by zac4mac:
wow, sanity from a female

you have my undying respect(FWIW) Cheerios. Well said.
It's worth a lot, Zac I appreciate hearing someone agree with me... oh well, everyone will do what htey feel is right and necessary.

------------------

--Indigo Girls

Cipher13  (op)
May 21, 2001, 08:10 PM

Originally posted by Scott_H:
The basic rules can be found by hitting the "register" link above.
But NewsFactor is not abiding by the rules, and that is the point.

------------------

malson
Senior User
May 21, 2001, 08:10 PM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
I will not forgive nor forget. He will be tarred, feathered, drawn and quartered if I have anything to do with it.

He has no clue what he is doing in one way, but in another, knows exactly what he is doing. He is a tryant on a power trip.

Until he is demoted to at BEST moderator this will not stop!

Cipher, you better watch it. Comments just like yours got Georgius, AlbertWu and Norm all unregistered. They lost all their posts. Even though posts aren't a big deal (at least not to me) it would be a shame if this happened to you, or to anyone else for that matter.
Yeah, about those TPS reports, didn't you get the memo?
--------------
2.3 Ghz Dual-Core G5/20" LCD/Life is Good!
Moo...

MacManMikeOSX
May 21, 2001, 08:12 PM

because news factor is a ****er.

------------------
stupid age bigots'
Mike

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
May 21, 2001, 08:12 PM

It would merely shame NewsFactor that they went to these extremes to gain control.

C'est la vie.
The ends justify the means, after all.

The end here is an empty forum.

------------------
My post count was
1638 before they
deleted my account.
Mother****ers.

Forum Links
Forum Rules