Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Run away from MacNN and don't look back - everyone.

Run away from MacNN and don't look back - everyone.
seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2001, 07:12 PM

Please, guys. Run, and do not come back. Do not. NewsFactor is a small corporation with big corporation corruption and full of lies and stupidity. Misha is a geisha, and MacNN sucks royally.

Check out alnora.carbonized.org .

Mac.chat will be awesome very soon. Please, run and do not look back. MacNN represents what the Mac community strives not to be.

jagga
Senior User
May 19, 2001, 07:17 PM

Well, the perfect site for mac news, IMHO, is www.macsurfer.com. You get a wide of mac news from all over the web. I only come to Macnn for the forums

------------------
Jagga
Check out some screenshots here
My Server

Norm1985
Mac Elite
May 19, 2001, 07:19 PM

Well, IMHO we shouldn't "never come back." We should come back ONLY IF those jerks at MacNN change back to the tight nit community and not into some corporate site.

------------------

E-mail: [email protected]
AIM: Norm1985

[email protected]
AIM: Norm1985

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
May 19, 2001, 07:21 PM

As long as these forums don't change too much I'll be staying here. There are a lot of active members. I don't know of any better forums. Not only are there a lot of members, but the colors are just right. It's easy to navigate and see what's going on.

Any better choices and I'd give them a look. AI is too grey, not as many people. Wincent's forums are practically dead. A post of mine there from a week ago is still one of the top 10 (with no replies). MacWorld is a choice, but I don't know their member count.

MacNN forums have more users on at one time than Alnora has all together. (actually, there can be up to 3 times as many).

Anyway, the main page should change. But as long as the forums don't, I'm not moving.

------------------

shmerek
Professional Poster
May 19, 2001, 07:24 PM

What are you guys doing? (Norm and Seanyepez)

seanyepez  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2001, 07:27 PM

MacNN is being assimilated into the NewsFactor collective. The layout might work for NewsFactor, and MacNN might need the funding. Unfortunately, this is not justification for a ******** layout.

shmerek
Professional Poster
May 19, 2001, 07:37 PM

Personally I don't care about the layout because I only frequent the forums. Isn't this just a shameless plug for Alnora?

mr_sonicblue
Mac Elite
May 19, 2001, 07:40 PM

...or I could just stay here!

------------------

seanyepez  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2001, 07:42 PM

Nope. I hate MacNN now. Use anything but MacNN.

Our tightly-knit community is going down the drain.

shmerek
Professional Poster
May 19, 2001, 07:46 PM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
Nope. I hate MacNN now. Use anything but MacNN.

Our tightly-knit community is going down the drain.
Which tightly-knit community? Am I a part of this community? If so I wasn't aware of said tight-knittedness.

PookJP
Mac Enthusiast
May 19, 2001, 07:54 PM

We must first boycott MacNN to see if they will change. If they refuse, then we can consider leaving for good.

The MacNN Boycott begins this Monday (May 21) and ends on the following Friday. Do not falter on this boycott... we have to decrease traffic significantly.

I will start a thread on Monday in the AppleInsider forum "AppleOutsider" that we can all visit to chat about how the boycott is going and to help us with MacNN withdrawal. It will be like an AA for former MacNN users.

For more info, go to http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/Foru...ML/002934.html

THE MACNN BOYCOTT BEGINS MONDAY!
It's the devil's way now.

mr_sonicblue
Mac Elite
May 19, 2001, 08:07 PM

I'm going to hit the frontpage thousands of times each day, Monday to Friday......(easy enough to do with a 2 minute VB program).

You guys are being ridiculous.

------------------

shmerek
Professional Poster
May 19, 2001, 08:07 PM

And I am boycotting because.... MacNN was bought by some company?

Demonhood
Administrator
May 19, 2001, 08:09 PM

You might want to try posting something constructive (or at least coherent) in the Suggestions and Comments forum.

Posting that everyone should abandon this site without giving your own constructive criticism on how it could be fixed, isn't very helpful.
Neither is extolling the virtues of your own alternative site, or posting an entire message in BOLD.

A boycott usually begins when a corporation refuses to change their ways after being asked. That is not the case here. So all this boycotting and running away is a bit premature, dontcha think?

MacAgent
Senior User
May 19, 2001, 08:18 PM

I am not going to the news site anymore, but the forums I refuse to leave.

------------------
Stand up, march to the new League of Nations, everyone face to face.

Cipher13
May 19, 2001, 08:39 PM

Yeah, the main page sucks. So? Does it not convey what is wanted to be conveyed?

I stopped going to the main page long ago, and just go to the forums. As long as the forums don't turn crap, I'll be here... although, a lot less, regardless...

------------------

AIM: Cipher1387
mail: [email protected]

Macintosh
Banned
May 19, 2001, 08:45 PM

Cipher is annoying, I do not like Cipher13.

Cipher13
May 19, 2001, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by Macintosh:
Cipher is annoying, I do not like Cipher13.

LOL!

I know
I try my best
The feeling is mutual
What a constructive post... both of these. Although this is spawn of yours - so you can be blamed for it.
Go away.

------------------

AIM: Cipher1387
mail: [email protected]

[This message has been edited by Cipher13 (edited 05-19-2001).]

Macintosh
Banned
May 19, 2001, 08:57 PM

I will be here at Macnn as long as it remains or I die. Cipher is older than I so therefor I will post more times in my life than he does in his.
GO AWAY.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2001, 08:57 PM

ok. so the main page looks like hell but you all are just amusing yourselves with this little "boycott". how cute. good riddance.

------------------
you're going to have my foot at your lip in a minute, young man.

scott

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2001, 08:59 PM

I will be here at Macnn as long as it remains or I die. Cipher is older than I so therefor I will post more times in my life than he does in his.
GO AWAY.
i see. so youre just here for the post count too, huh? wow. somehow i think i will care about what you post even less than i did before.

------------------

scott

Macintosh
Banned
May 19, 2001, 09:05 PM

Who said I was here for a post count? I just said that if I post here regularly than I will have more than Cipher does considering that I am 15 an he is god knows how old?

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2001, 09:12 PM

Who said I was here for a post count? I just said that if I post here regularly than I will have more than Cipher does considering that I am 15 an he is god knows how old?
heh. not much older than you.
what is the point of you having more posts than cipher? you stating that was of some matter of importance to you is what i am reacting to here.

------------------

scott

Zwilnik
Mac Enthusiast
May 19, 2001, 09:38 PM

Actually Demonhood, rather a lot (over 100) of constructive critisism *WAS* posted in the comments about the Site changing story. They were deleted. then another hundred or so comments were made. then the whole story was deleted.
Personally I don't think a boycott would be effective, as the percentage of MacNN readers who use the forums is probably quite low, but with the site looking the way it does, you'll lose most of your readers anyway.
I'd suggest taking the hint MacNN and doing something constructive about changing the site back into a proper Mac website, rather than something that was hacked together in Homepage.
Aaron

chris_h
Mac Elite
May 19, 2001, 09:51 PM

Hey, I have an idea! I think I'll create a whole new thread about this since there aren't 4 already ;-)

Seriously, guys, stop trying to be rosa parks or something.
If you're gonna spend alot of time worrying about it, email newsfudge (or whatever they're called). If you boycott, don't trick yourself into thinking you're doing _any_ good, unless you email newsfsck and let them know that you're boycotting and WHY. I GUARANTEE you if they get hundreds of boycott emails over something as silly as this, they'll change it (or if not, they're hopeless). But if you're really as passionate as you sound, you should have emailed newsforker already.

Don't waste all your breath here, send it to the people who seem to be in control now: [email protected]

Let newsf*cker know how you feel... everyone here does already.

-
[email protected]
0wned

[This message has been edited by chris_h (edited 05-19-2001).]

nealconner
Mac Elite
May 19, 2001, 10:02 PM

You guys are being so rediculous!!!!!! All over some site layout. Can you be any more childish???

------------------
neal andrew conner
[email protected]
aim: neal a conner

chris_h
Mac Elite
May 19, 2001, 10:37 PM

Originally posted by nealconner:
You guys are being so rediculous!!!!!! All over some site layout. Can you be any more childish???
Neal, I think you're missing the point. The point is (at least to me) that newsforge doesn't seem to be accountable to anyone. Most of the mods have already come out against the design, but given the impression that its out of their hands now.
True, the design is a pretty trivial thing (although I can't stand to look at it personally... that much white makes my eyes uncomfortable), I think the underlying issue is that macnn has appeared to have sold out.

And no, newsfarmer didn't "work hard" on that design... look at their other sites... they're all the same! Good idea, bad implementation.

edit: if they'd just darken that white background a bit i think it's be fine. Also slightly disturbing is that they haven't updated today... on a HUGE apple news day... Cnet is running a positive apple story for christsakes...

-
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by chris_h (edited 05-19-2001).]

malson
Senior User
May 19, 2001, 11:17 PM

Originally posted by chris_h:
Also slightly disturbing is that they haven't updated today... on a HUGE apple news day... Cnet is running a positive apple story for christsakes...

I entirely agree with you Chris. I was amazed when I went to the main page and MacNN didn't have some sort of update or info about the Apple Store openings. Even Macintouch posted an update about the stores. Oh well, when you sell out the user are the ones that end up getting screwed...sigh
Yeah, about those TPS reports, didn't you get the memo?
--------------
2.3 Ghz Dual-Core G5/20" LCD/Life is Good!
Moo...

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 19, 2001, 11:50 PM

GO AWAY.
Geez, for a person who has been here less than a month you sure are bossy.

Maybe you should search the forums in which people name their fav. member....Cipher is in there a bunch of times, and don't forget the multitudes of people he has helped (me for one) so if somebody needs to go away here its you.

------------------

sine -''-..-
Grizzled Veteran
Location: meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meo
May 19, 2001, 11:59 PM

lol, d00d i hope u dont post regularly, you sound like a child.
and assuming stupid people die sooner, cipher will be posting a few years after your dead.

sine -''-..-

now known as pillowcase

Forum Links
Forum Rules